ScootWarr
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
This year I studied Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics at AS. I know that I am definitely dropping biology next year but I don't know whether to drop chemistry as well and do an EPQ along with my 3 A2s or just to carry on with 4 A-levels.

I am hoping to go to university to study maths at Warwick/Cambridge.

Do you think carrying on chemistry would be better even though it would be more of a workload? I'm a bit concerned that I will want a lot of spare time to prepare for STEP papers as well so I don't want to have an overwhelming about of work throughout the year.

Thanks
Hunnybeebee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have you thought about planning and nailing down your epq this summer (also keeps you busy until results day) and when the epq presentations commence at one point during the year you'll be ready allowing you to continue with chemistry?

If you're finding 4 A2's too much then dropping chem would be okay (as long as the uni and course accepts that)
Nymthae
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd drop chemistry, just for the sake of STEP. You really need to invest time in that instead, and the fourth subject won't give you any further advantage really. If you get and firm an offer then the place you're most likely to miss it on is STEP so better go for the safer option at this stage
Nathan0012
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ScootWarr)
This year I studied Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics at AS. I know that I am definitely dropping biology next year but I don't know whether to drop chemistry as well and do an EPQ along with my 3 A2s or just to carry on with 4 A-levels.

Do you think carrying on chemistry would be better even though it would be more of a workload? I'm a bit concerned that I will want a lot of spare time to prepare for STEP papers as well so I don't want to have an overwhelming about of work throughout the year.

Thanks
I speak as someone who has experienced this situation, and looking back I think I made the wrong decision.

I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry for AS, finished the year well with good grades. I had also started an EPQ based on Physics. As I applied for Physics at Uni, I had the option to drop Further Maths or Chemistry, I felt that I did very well in both but would rather have dropped Chemistry. In the end I was persuaded to carry on with chemistry, so I took up all four options onto A2, still working on the EPQ.

During this year I have been pushed to limits several times with how much work has been shoved on me. If I was given the option again, I would definitely have dropped Chemistry. Having seen other people do extra maths modules, I feel I could have coped with self teaching a few more maths modules to get an AS or just some more knowledge on FP3, M3, M4 etc...

Chemistry became very complicated this year and I applaud anyone who could manage to get a good grade in it along with 3 other A-levels and an EPQ hanging over them. I didn't have the EQP explained well enough to me or my mentors, this all resulted in it being left fairly late and you don't want that just before very important exams.

The overall effect is that Chemistry took a big hit in these summer exams, I haven't got the results, but I know that I haven't done as well as I'd hoped, it's great though that it doesn't have to be part of my offer and I didn't really like it anyway. My other exams went much better though and I hope to meet my offer.

I would say take up three A levels that you think you can achieve well in, then take up the EPQ as well as it is a great experience and I have enjoyed independently learning about something which I didn't have to, it has also helped me learn more in terms of course material I may be studying at Uni.

Ultimately it is your own choice, but I would recommend you take every precaution, think about it clearly and constructively and take every bit of advice that you can from everyone, it is a massive decision for your future.

I wish you every bit of luck for your next year and I hope you get to where you want to be. Also good luck for your AS results in August.

Sorry for the really long post. :rolleyes:
ScootWarr
Rep:
?
(Original post by KeilahDeere)
Have you thought about planning and nailing down your epq this summer (also keeps you busy until results day) and when the epq presentations commence at one point during the year you'll be ready allowing you to continue with chemistry?

If you're finding 4 A2's too much then dropping chem would be okay (as long as the uni and course accepts that)
Yeah I think I will definitely start the EPQ research over summer. I just found chemistry really time consuming this year and don't want it to dilute how well I do in other a levels is the thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
ScootWarr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nymthae)
I'd drop chemistry, just for the sake of STEP. You really need to invest time in that instead, and the fourth subject won't give you any further advantage really. If you get and firm an offer then the place you're most likely to miss it on is STEP so better go for the safer option at this stage
Yeah I haven't really looked at much STEP stuff so far but I plan to I the summer as it certainly looks like it will take up a lot of my time haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
ScootWarr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nathan0012)
I speak as someone who has experienced this situation, and looking back I think I made the wrong decision.

I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry for AS, finished the year well with good grades. I had also started an EPQ based on Physics. As I applied for Physics at Uni, I had the option to drop Further Maths or Chemistry, I felt that I did very well in both but would rather have dropped Chemistry. In the end I was persuaded to carry on with chemistry, so I took up all four options onto A2, still working on the EPQ.

During this year I have been pushed to limits several times with how much work has been shoved on me. If I was given the option again, I would definitely have dropped Chemistry. Having seen other people do extra maths modules, I feel I could have coped with self teaching a few more maths modules to get an AS or just some more knowledge on FP3, M3, M4 etc...

Chemistry became very complicated this year and I applaud anyone who could manage to get a good grade in it along with 3 other A-levels and an EPQ hanging over them. I didn't have the EQP explained well enough to me or my mentors, this all resulted in it being left fairly late and you don't want that just before very important exams.

The overall effect is that Chemistry took a big hit in these summer exams, I haven't got the results, but I know that I haven't done as well as I'd hoped, it's great though that it doesn't have to be part of my offer and I didn't really like it anyway. My other exams went much better though and I hope to meet my offer.

I would say take up three A levels that you think you can achieve well in, then take up the EPQ as well as it is a great experience and I have enjoyed independently learning about something which I didn't have to, it has also helped me learn more in terms of course material I may be studying at Uni.

Ultimately it is your own choice, but I would recommend you take every precaution, think about it clearly and constructively and take every bit of advice that you can from everyone, it is a massive decision for your future.

I wish you every bit of luck for your next year and I hope you get to where you want to be. Also good luck for your AS results in August.

Sorry for the really long post. :rolleyes:
Thanks, it's good to hear from someone who was in a similar position. I can see chemistry being really painful next year an I just don't think the stress of it it would be worth it. I think I would also find doing an EPQ very interesting and it certainly can't hurt to develop my research skills along the way.

And good luck for your results too, I'm sure you've done better than you think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hunnybeebee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah I think I will definitely start the wow research over summer. I just found chemistry really time consuming this year and don't want it to dilute how well I do in other a levels is the thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
chemistry is a hard a level but i enjoyed it giving me motivation to do it, whereas I couldn't bare to do a taster session in a level maths, told the teacher I'm going to the loo and i never came back

if you found it time consuming this year, do you think you can handle it a2 AS WELL AS dealing with ucas, perfecting the epq, spending less time on your other subjects... towards an offer that doesn't really require that extra a level risking your other subjects?

obviously take a lot of thought into it, talk to your head of sixth about it and come up with a timetable that will help spread time spent on each subject.

But seeing as you have 2 months until september, it wouldn't hurt doing mega on the epq and on your a2s relieving a bit of stress.
Nymthae
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah I haven't really looked at much STEP stuff so far but I plan to I the summer as it certainly looks like it will take up a lot of my time haha
I love chemistry, it's great. I had an unfortunate friend who aced his exams but missed his Cambridge offer marginally on the STEP result - so it's well worth making sure you invest as much time as you can in making sure you're comfortable with the material. He's at Lancaster now, and loves it, but i'm sure at the time it was a bit of a bummer!
ambbs
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Thanks
As someone who has a maths offer for Cambridge and who's insured Warwick, I can say that I've found STEP hard enough and time consuming this year even with doing 3 a levels (maths, fm and physics) and dropping chem was the best thing I ever did. Unless you really enjoy chem, I'd suggest dropping it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads