pbunny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Since i'm about to start Year 12 next year I think it's a good idea to study for the SAT/ACT this summer so I can focus on doing well in IBDP during the school year.

But i've got a slight dilemma. I planned on taking the SAT from the start so over the last winter break I ordered a ton of SAT books. However, after doing practice tests from the Blue Book and online ones from the ACT i can certainly say that I'd do much better on the ACT since everything seems MUCH more straightforward and there isn't any stupid vocab (CR is the ban of my existence ). Problem is i'm worried i've wasted my parents money completely by purchasing so many SAT books and now well i've got to purchase more books :/

Should I just go ahead and study for the SAT instead? And hope I do well (I really need to get 2200+)?? Or just purchase some ACT books and prepare myself for both the SAT/ACT? I feel like I'd be wasting my time by studying for the ACT as well but there always might be the opportunity cost of receiving a lower score by doing the SAT instead. Plus, since I'm going to be taking the PSAT in October studying for the SAT would help me so much more than studying for the ACT.

Ughh What should I do? Take ACT/writing or SAT? Keep in mind the benefit of not having to submit SAT II subject tests if I take the ACT.
feyy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not all places waiver the SATII requirement with the ACT so be careful. You should really do whatever you will do better in.
pbunny
Rep:
?
(Original post by feyy)
Not all places waiver the SATII requirement with the ACT so be careful. You should really do whatever you will do better in.
Yep, i'm definitely aware but the rule does apply to some of the universities I plan to apply to. I know for a fact that I'd do better in the ACT so I guess I'll go ahead and prepare for it.
feyy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Good luck! I have no idea whether I would have been better at the ACT. I never tried and I regret that ): It's good that you realise this now. You've got plenty of time to resit if necessary so that's great!
pbunny
Rep:
?
(Original post by feyy)
Good luck! I have no idea whether I would have been better at the ACT. I never tried and I regret that ): It's good that you realise this now. You've got plenty of time to resit if necessary so that's great!
Thanks. I haven't actually got much chance to retake the exams since I need to travel to another city across the country everytime I want to retake :/ So, I've got to get it right the first time!
ForlornUnicorn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The ACT has science, which isn't really science, but if you're bad at reading graphs etc. I wouldn't recommend it. It doesn't have guessing penalty like the SAT, but timing is REALLY tough! It is more straight-forward, though!
Try timed practice tests for both, and see how you do!
pbunny
Rep:
?
(Original post by ForlornUnicorn)
The ACT has science, which isn't really science, but if you're bad at reading graphs etc. I wouldn't recommend it. It doesn't have guessing penalty like the SAT, but timing is REALLY tough! It is more straight-forward, though!
Try timed practice tests for both, and see how you do!
Decided I'll stick to the SAT. Got a 2080 (CR650, M770, W660) on a timed official practice test w/o knowing the required grammar rules and vocab. So I should easily be able to get a 2200+ if I work on the CR and W sections!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (353)
55.94%
I don't have everything I need (278)
44.06%

Watched Threads