Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm doing A levels and I love the human geography section of geography However looking at uni prospects for human geography, it seems to not interest me as much or atleast not be what I was expecting, now I'm thinking maybe I'm just more interested in people and what they do (and why) rather than the geography side of it.
    I was wondering if anyone could give any insight into what it's like, or views on the course and jobs, etc??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akeefah)
    So I'm doing A levels and I love the human geography section of geography However looking at uni prospects for human geography, it seems to not interest me as much or atleast not be what I was expecting, now I'm thinking maybe I'm just more interested in people and what they do (and why) rather than the geography side of it.
    I was wondering if anyone could give any insight into what it's like, or views on the course and jobs, etc??
    Geography is one of the broadest subjects that you can study at university. In terms of human geography, it really depends upon which university you're studying at as to what topics you might encounter during your course. A few of the modules I studied ranged from Development in Subsaharan Africa, Town and Country Planning, Architecture and Heritage Tourism, and Rural Geography.

From what you're saying, it sounds as if you might like Sociology, which is one of the social sciences covered in Human Geography but can also be studied by itself. Maybe you could even do a joint honours?

As for careers, you can become a researcher in your chosen field, become involved in tourism or charities, a town planner and many other things! Geography is an open ended course, so if you aren't sure what you want to do as a career afterwards, don't worry about being limited for choice!

I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I just graduated in Human Geography at Aberystwyth and loved it and am going back to there to do a masters this year. It is such a broad topic you can cover most things. For instance I like cyber-geographies and I got to do my dissertation on fantasy football and really enjoyed it. In terms of the department from what Ive seen Aber is good for cultural, enviroment, policy, rural/urban, politcal geographies

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.