The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I am a third year student from the University of Chichester in England. I was wondering if any of you could please help me with my dissertation by filling out my exciting online survey. I desperately need Asian/S.E Asian/Western participants, as my dissertation aims to explore the differences in how Easterners and Westerners perceive a scene. Here is the link if you are interested:

http://chichpscyh.eu.qualtrics.com/S...JyH8BI6bmmeQXX

Many thanks!
Guys need some help! UMS wise... So, you know we're viewed on "Best 3 subjects, Best 4 Subjects, Science UMS, Maths+Phy" ect ect ect.... I'm studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics at AS level and I'm wondering which I'll be viewed mainly upon? I just found out that Maths+Further Maths only counts as 1 science subject?? Really confused, need to know what to prioritise!

More info if needed??: Studying Maths (MEI C1, C2, S1), Further Maths (MEI FP1, M1, M2), Physics (OCR G481/2/3), Economics (AQA ECON1 ECON2) (They don't offer Computing :frown: )
Go to decent state school, applying for Computer Science with Mathematics in October for 2016 entry. Average GCSE's but loads of other stuff.

Just need to know what I need to prioritise/ what's most important!
Original post by joe12345marc
Guys need some help! UMS wise... So, you know we're viewed on "Best 3 subjects, Best 4 Subjects, Science UMS, Maths+Phy" ect ect ect.... I'm studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics at AS level and I'm wondering which I'll be viewed mainly upon? I just found out that Maths+Further Maths only counts as 1 science subject?? Really confused, need to know what to prioritise!

More info if needed??: Studying Maths (MEI C1, C2, S1), Further Maths (MEI FP1, M1, M2), Physics (OCR G481/2/3), Economics (AQA ECON1 ECON2) (They don't offer Computing :frown: )
Go to decent state school, applying for Computer Science with Mathematics in October for 2016 entry. Average GCSE's but loads of other stuff.

Just need to know what I need to prioritise/ what's most important!

The UMS they look at for mathmos is MUMS and Maths and Physics UMS. But really for maths UMS does not matter that much. All you need is top marks in your Maths and physics modules. Maths UMS has to be 95+.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most important for you joemarc is Maths Further maths and physics. Aim for 100s in maths !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes,revise as often as possible.I'm going to bed at 4 am.I revise at every one of my school breaks and gaps.

I'm at Cambridge and students don't do that. It's not necessary to work yourself so much to get the grades. Once in a while we might stay up late to get an essay in on time or whatever, but I can tell you almost no-one, if anyone at all, gets minimal sleep to work without compromising grades/the quality of their work.

People who do not get adequate sleep struggle that bit more - lack of sleep is bad for your health and will only cause problems. You can get decent sleep and good grades.

It's about how effectively you study, not how much you study. For some things you could take 3 hours doing it or 30 mins, you just have to work effectively.
Original post by physicsmaths
The UMS they look at for mathmos is MUMS and Maths and Physics UMS. But really for maths UMS does not matter that much. All you need is top marks in your Maths and physics modules. Maths UMS has to be 95+.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay thanks so much! Yeah I expect ~100 in C1 , C2, S1 and FP1, ~90-95 in M1 and ~90 in M2 and physics coursework is just so stupid in terms of me only losing 4 marks but losing 12 UMS...
Ah okay thanks so much! Yeah I expect ~100 in C1 , C2, S1 and FP1, ~90-95 in M1 and ~90 in M2 and physics coursework is just so stupid in terms of me only losing 4 marks but losing 12 UMS...

Tell me about it! Coursework /practical assessments are silly, loads of people cheat...
Original post by Random1357
Tell me about it! Coursework /practical assessments are silly, loads of people cheat...

Grammar/ Private Schools Cheat* They all get 40/40 after the teachers have got sent the mark schemes... So UMS and grade boundaries are stupidly high
Original post by C0balt
I live in EU but I don't have EU passport

Oh, okay. Nice to know :smile:
Grammar/ Private Schools Cheat* They all get 40/40 after the teachers have got sent the mark schemes... So UMS and grade boundaries are stupidly high

Yes this is true. I need an A* this in physics coursework but dont know if its going to happen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2072
Yes this is true. I need an A* this in physics coursework but dont know if its going to happen

Posted from TSR Mobile

God I'm so jealous of my friends who only need As in physics. A* with my teachers and the coursework...
Hi guys - would you say that, in terms of three most relevant UMS (e.g. 93%+) for medicine, they'll take biology, chemistry, physics or biology, chemistry, maths/further maths?
Original post by Cadherin
Hi guys - would you say that, in terms of three most relevant UMS (e.g. 93%+) for medicine, they'll take biology, chemistry, physics or biology, chemistry, maths/further maths?

Medicine is not ranked on UMS alone. They look at GCSE and BMAT performance as well. Physics is regarded as the least relevant A level but applications are looked at holistically and all your subjects, especially science and maths, matter. PS and work experience as well as interview all count and you need to perform well in all areas.
I would have directed you to the teacher presentations which used to be available on the website and showed that 6 GCSE A* and about 93% was a realistic minimum application but the new website seems to have hidden or removed them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TVIO
God I'm so jealous of my friends who only need As in physics. A* with my teachers and the coursework...

I need an A for cambridgebut I just want the A*!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2076
I need an A for cambridgebut I just want the A*!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lucky you. I went for CS with maths to AVOID physics and this is what I get for it. yay
Original post by TVIO
Lucky you. I went for CS with maths to AVOID physics and this is what I get for it. yay

You can do it bro. work hard!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2078
You can do it bro. work hard!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The coursework's done now and that was the main pain. Dozens of hours of sitting with a lightbulb and LDR...ugh.
Original post by TVIO

They know that, I'm 99% sure that if you hit all your offers except physics A*... they can't exactly say no xD STEP is main determinant tbh

Latest

Trending

Trending