The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ShannonS
I'm thinking of applying for History if I can get the grades, I'm currently taking A levels in history, philosophy&ethics and English literature but I do not know what to take as a 4th option. Could you recommend anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those three are fine on their own. The only criteria for the 4th are, then, 1) aptitude, and 2) enthusiasm. A language is always useful: there's a Themes and Sources option at the moment which requires A level French or equivalent, and a Part II special subject with the same requirement. As a medievalist I've found latin useful, but it's nothing like essential.

If you'd like to do more economic and social history, something more quantitative might be helpful. You'd be amazed at how many historians (including, to be honest, myself) really aren't very numerate...
Original post by JAIYEKO
Maths
Further Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

Predicted A*s at least and I'll have a high chance of getting into Oxbridge

No you don't. Nobody has a high chance of getting into Oxbridge.
Is there a thread like this for Oxford? :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I made an Oxford one if anyone wants to join me . . . !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
I made an Oxford one if anyone wants to join me . . . !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope xD I live in Oxford, I certainly don't want to go to university there xD
Scottish student, can't help feeling this is a little too early though...

Doing six highers: Chemistry, Physics, Maths, English, Spanish and Business. Interested in Engineering, Nat Sci or Mathematics.
you'll all hate me but I'm undecided about oxford and cambridge (assuming i get the GSCE grades for either)!! but ive read cambridge is top for history...so probably cambridge...
but im doing IB next year! HL history, philosophy and english or physics.
See y'all on the other side of results day and GOOD LUCK!!
Original post by littlelightwood
you'll all hate me but I'm undecided about oxford and cambridge (assuming i get the GSCE grades for either)!! but ive read cambridge is top for history...so probably cambridge...
but im doing IB next year! HL history, philosophy and english or physics.
See y'all on the other side of results day and GOOD LUCK!!

Probably best to look at the different faculties' websites before you make a decision. Oxford and Cambridge have different strengths. The history of political thought is very strong at Cambridge, whereas Early Modern Europe is not so well covered.
Original post by Gorwell
History is great! It's never too late, surely a cave in France isn't too bad? :wink: What IGCSE subjects are you taking, If you don't mind me asking? If you need any help with them then let me know. :biggrin:

Im applying for history too! See you there (hopefully) my friend!
Original post by Veni Vidi Fugi
Probably best to look at the different faculties' websites before you make a decision. Oxford and Cambridge have different strengths. The history of political thought is very strong at Cambridge, whereas Early Modern Europe is not so well covered.

thanks! Probably an incredibly stupid question..but where can I read/learn a bit more about strengths and weaknesses of each course?
thanks! Probably an incredibly stupid question..but where can I read/learn a bit more about strengths and weaknesses of each course?

Not a stupid question at all, although one that's difficult to answer. The best way to find this out is to talk to students from both and to look at who's where. For example, Professor Christine Carpenter has a lot of influence over teaching of medieval history in Cambridge, and we still feel Quentin Skinner's influence even after he moved to London. You're best off choosing on the basis of which course you prefer though, as the faculties' relative strengths won't have a huge influence on you at undergraduate level
Original post by BBeyond
Believe me they weren't...

My course work went really well, because I put a LOT of effort it, I think I got 14/15 on question 1 and 25/25 on question 2. Those topics look so much better than mine :redface:

Thank you, and that's annoying :frown: I feel like that for English literature, it really sucks :frown: We did loads of mocks so I kind of know what I got/ to expect :biggrin:

Hey you people! did anyone do the question on Hitler's germany that asked about events leading up to the election after the reichtstag fire?
Not a stupid question at all, although one that's difficult to answer. The best way to find this out is to talk to students from both and to look at who's where. For example, Professor Christine Carpenter has a lot of influence over teaching of medieval history in Cambridge, and we still feel Quentin Skinner's influence even after he moved to London. You're best off choosing on the basis of which course you prefer though, as the faculties' relative strengths won't have a huge influence on you at undergraduate level

its probably too early to say this with confidence, but I am interested in so many areas of history, from the wars of the roses to world war two and i cant decide which i'd study! Do I have to narrow it down and study only one era, or can I do multiple over the course?
its probably too early to say this with confidence, but I am interested in so many areas of history, from the wars of the roses to world war two and i cant decide which i'd study! Do I have to narrow it down and study only one era, or can I do multiple over the course?

The Cambridge course lets you take five papers in your first two years, and there are a few requirements, but you could do five papers from five different time periods. Have a look at the tripos papers for Part I http://www.hist.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/tripos-papers
The Cambridge course lets you take five papers in your first two years, and there are a few requirements, but you could do five papers from five different time periods. Have a look at the tripos papers for Part I http://www.hist.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/tripos-papers

that link is really brilliant. Thank you so much!:smile:
Reply 275
My IB HLs are going to be English, History and Philosophy. My SLs are going to be Maths Studies, Enviro and French. I'm hoping to History at Cambridge.
Original post by afern
My IB HLs are going to be English, History and Philosophy. My SLs are going to be Maths Studies, Enviro and French. I'm hoping to History at Cambridge.

Im doing the same HLs as you and want to study history too! Are you worried there are too many essay based subjects or are you ok with that? Because im slightly worried about the work load :/
Reply 277
Im doing the same HLs as you and want to study history too! Are you worried there are too many essay based subjects or are you ok with that? Because im slightly worried about the work load :/

Honestly I'm okay with it because I write strong essays and it means we'll get a lot of practise for essays at uni!
Original post by afern
Honestly I'm okay with it because I write strong essays and it means we'll get a lot of practise for essays at uni!

thats a fair point, im hoping the workload will not be ridiculously overwhelming though! :cool:
Reply 279
Im applying for history too! See you there (hopefully) my friend!

Fingers crossed! Best of luck to you :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending