The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nurav11
1- cases odd?

Yep and you can do that in one stage as only way of getting the product is for z to be odd and y to be odd. Therefore you can just multiply the probability that y is odd by the probability z is odd, do 1- that and get 0.475

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WithoutMuchHope
Oh are there any Nat Sci here interested in Trinity Hall? Weirdly enough one of the things that appeals to me the most about it is having to take the TSA...

I thought about it. I'm not sure if I want to go to a small college or not.
Original post by samb1234
Yep and you can do that in one stage as only way of getting the product is for z to be odd and y to be odd. Therefore you can just multiply the probability that y is odd by the probability z is odd, do 1- that and get 0.475

Posted from TSR Mobile

But if you multiply two evens together you get an even aswell?
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you approach iii?

Since its asking for even cases, I'd isolate the cases when X times Y = odd so 1 and 1, 3 and 1, 1 and 3. Find their probabilities, add them up and subtract it from 1 I'm fairly sure... It should give you 0.8.
Original post by nurav11

Correct but the only way that it can be odd is if both y and z are odd.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nurav11

He was talking about using the probability of mutliplying to get an odd to find the probability of getting an even i.e 1-[P(YxZ)]
Correct but the only way that it can be odd is if both y and z are odd.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep fair enough, ahh botched it then as thought 3 times 3 was even for some reason, sorry my bad :colondollar:
Original post by WithoutMuchHope
Oh are there any Nat Sci here interested in Trinity Hall? Weirdly enough one of the things that appeals to me the most about it is having to take the TSA...

I thought about it. Not sure if I want a it
or small college though

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's pretty clever. I just used a tree diagram like a simpleton :lol:
Original post by enaayrah
That's pretty clever. I just used a tree diagram like a simpleton :lol:

Nothing wrong with a tree diagram. I just like skipping steps especially since the less steps the less chance I have of doing something stupid

Posted from TSR Mobile
He was talking about using the probability of mutliplying to get an odd to find the probability of getting an even i.e 1-[P(YxZ)]

Yehh it's what I did but missed out the 3 times 3 case in the odd so didn't get the right value. So frustrating making mistakes like that!
Original post by Ozark
You were at the UKSDT finals?! Which team! (So was I).

Rockdonell I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ozark
We were the group that presented first. I fell asleep in the presentations :colondollar: Was just so tired.

Yep I was asleep for all of them as well. We probably would have won if it wasn't for a few technical issues with our presentation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ozark
Were you in the team with Westminster? They were pretty good.

Don't think so. We came second but at least half our stuff didn't make it on to the slides due to some issues so with that we would most likely have won

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KythingToWrite
The boundaries are amazingly low... for everything but maths :tongue: Maths is just painful :tongue:
Seriously? Not even basic stuff, matrix multiplication and all? Complex numbers isn't hard but the questions can be such a pain :tongue:

I live in Tanzania :tongue:

Ohhh Tanzania :cool:

Yeah it was the same with IGCSE and I always wondered whether the CIE candidates are all amazing at maths or not :dontknow:

Nope lol Having find IGCSE one of the FM chapter was a breeze because it was just matrix manipulation :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nothing wrong with a tree diagram. I just like skipping steps especially since the less steps the less chance I have of doing something stupid

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's true. It's always good to be confident at two different methods though, so you can check your answers :smile:
Original post by nurav11
Yehh it's what I did but missed out the 3 times 3 case in the odd so didn't get the right value. So frustrating making mistakes like that!

Happens to me too. Not very good :colonhash:
That's true. It's always good to be confident at two different methods though, so you can check your answers :smile:

Yep always good to be able to check your answers. Thankfully for things like c2 I can type most things into my calculator and check that they are correct eg my calculate can do definite integration

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep always good to be able to check your answers. Thankfully for things like c2 I can type most things into my calculator and check that they are correct eg my calculate can do definite integration

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol mine can too! Do you have the Casio fx-9860II? My tutor forced all of us to buy it in the start of the year :lol:
Lol mine can too! Do you have the Casio fx-9860II? My tutor forced all of us to buy it in the start of the year :lol:

Is that a graphic one? I just have the fx991 es

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending