The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by enaayrah
I had never known any public school students until this thread to be honest :tongue:

Trust me, we're just the same as you guys :tongue: (that sounds so weird aha). I came from state background and moved into private in year 9 so I know people from both sides and most of the people who were doing well at my state place are very similar to the guys at my school now. Idk if that's the same for all public schools but I never found my school to be like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm guessing you're a devoted Whovian? :lol:

And she's Audrey Hepburn, look her up :wink:

Yep :tongue: Aaand she's gorgeous so :colondollar:

Oh my god.
I cannot believe I did not recognise her :getmecoat: I do not deserve to live :tongue:
(On zooming in, it's kinda obvious, but that's what I get for crushing on Jenna Coleman :tongue:)

Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Dunno... Overall people tend to get low UMS at AS with CIE
I only took AS maths last year. I'm learning FM at home, so it doesn't clash with normal maths.
Only 5 A levels :P and one of them's my native language.

Thanks for the heads-up! :smile:
Ah, okay.
'Only'? :tongue: Plus FM, so that's an extra AS right there! Still really impressive :biggrin:
Original post by nurav11
Trust me, we're just the same as you guys :tongue: (that sounds so weird aha). I came from state background and moved into private in year 9 so I know people from both sides and most of the people who were doing well at my state place are very similar to the guys at my school now. Idk if that's the same for all public schools but I never found my school to be like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You guys do appear to be nice :smile: everyone's so similar here that I can't really tell who's privately educated and who's state unless they tell

But I do hold the belief that private and independent schools should be abolished though :lol:
Original post by KythingToWrite

Thanks for the heads-up! :smile:
Ah, okay.
'Only'? :tongue: Plus FM, so that's an extra AS right there! Still really impressive :biggrin:

I said 'only' but obviously I also took other ASs (Spanish, Chem, Physics, ICT and English + FM)
Make sure you lmk what UMS you get on results day :biggrin: I'll be thrilled to know you break the CIE barrier!
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
I said 'only' but obviously I also took other ASs (Spanish, Chem, Physics, ICT and English + FM)
Make sure you lmk what UMS you get on results day :biggrin: I'll be thrilled to know you break the CIE barrier!

Yeah, that sounds verrryyy impressive :tongue: And I'm crying with 4! Your grades are amazing :biggrin:
I definitely will... but shhh don't mention the R-word, I'm pretending 11th August will never come :tongue: Hopefully... fingers crossed!
& best of luck with Imperial! :biggrin:
Yep :tongue: Aaand she's gorgeous so :colondollar:

Oh my god.
I cannot believe I did not recognise her :getmecoat: I do not deserve to live :tongue:
(On zooming in, it's kinda obvious, but that's what I get for crushing on Jenna Coleman :tongue:)

I admired Jenna Coleman for a while, and I loved Doctor Who, until Danny Pink came along :colonhash:
Only 3 days of school left before study leave begins :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, that sounds verrryyy impressive :tongue: And I'm crying with 4! Your grades are amazing :biggrin:
I definitely will... but shhh don't mention the R-word, I'm pretending 11th August will never come :tongue: Hopefully... fingers crossed!
& best of luck with Imperial! :biggrin:

It sounds like a lot, but ICT and Spanish are a joke. Maths looks easy compared to FM, and I didn't really work for English (hence I got a B). So it's a lot less than what it looks like.
Original post by vincrows
::sneaking back in...:::tongue:

that's one of the myths/misunderstanding a lot of people have about and media mis-represents often.
The difference that may make in each school's academic performance is actually not whether it's private or state, but if it's selective or non-selective at the admission. If you look at school league tables, there're lots of state school with higher ranking than some of very good private schools. They attract a lot of really clever kids who they can pick at their entrance exams. And not all private schools are born equal. Some are very selective, others are not.
In the area where we live, there're three quite good private/public schools that's very selective. But for the best one among them, its competition is against a state/ex-grammar schools nearby, not other two private schools.

Nobody has noticed (replied) you yet :ninja: :tongue:

Yup that's true, my school is private school but completely non selective...Although international schools are never really selective lol
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Nobody has noticed (replied) you yet :ninja: :tongue:

Yup that's true, my school is private school but completely non selective...Although international schools are never really selective lol
Posted from TSR Mobile

Not noticed or just ignored? :tongue:

If your school is not selective with large mix of students with various academic ability and still you're doing very well, that's when Cambridge's thorough selection process comes in to pick you up! :smile:
Original post by samb1234
Only 3 days of school left before study leave begins :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

4 for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not noticed or just ignored? :tongue:

If your school is not selective with large mix of students with various academic ability and still you're doing very well, that's when Cambridge's thorough selection process comes in to pick you up! :smile:

You are supposed to be gone so people pretended to be you're invisible :ninja::ninja:

Right I'm waiting come at me :holmes:
My school's pass rate is still really good though lol
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
You are supposed to be gone so people pretended to be you're invisible :ninja::ninja:

Right I'm waiting come at me :holmes:
My school's pass rate is still really good though lol
Posted from TSR Mobile

Idk maybe they wish I was really gone....

Like private schools there're better international schools and not so good ones. Obviously you go to a good one and still you're doing better than many of your peers. That's most important. What Cambridge doesn't like is a student who are not doing well in spite of going to a good school.

Eh I don't think so :tongue: people know how helpful you are :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You guys do appear to be nice :smile: everyone's so similar here that I can't really tell who's privately educated and who's state unless they tell

But I do hold the belief that private and independent schools should be abolished though :lol:

Haha thanks :smile: but everyone here is nice and whether you go private or not shouldn't change that about a person.

Well I don't think they should be abolished completely as then you would struggle to offer the level of education that some very talented kids would need. Instead, if we can work on widening the access for the top independent schools so that it is solely based on ability not money (by offering bursaries to those who need it) then they'll get a very good education they should get.

Although when it comes to university applications and such, I agree it becomes unfair because the coaching we receive can be very helpful compared to a school which has little history of Oxbridge applications.

Like private schools there're better international schools and not so good ones. Obviously you go to a good one and still you're doing better than many of your peers. That's most important. What Cambridge doesn't like is a student who are not doing well in spite of going to a good school.

Haha sorry, should have replied to you earlier then :tongue:. Yes totally agree with you there, which is why your academic performance in a selective independent school will be heavily scrutinised.
Out of curiosity, anyone on here taking the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge (Lower 6th competition) this year?

http://c3l6.com/compregs/about
Original post by Anti-Dirac
Out of curiosity, anyone on here taking the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge (Lower 6th competition) this year?

http://c3l6.com/compregs/about

I'll be doing it if I survive through my exams :tongue:
Original post by nurav11
Haha sorry, should have replied to you earlier then :tongue:. Yes totally agree with you there, which is why your academic performance in a selective independent school will be heavily scrutinised.

:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending