The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gorwell
Hey guys. :biggrin:
I know it's very early but I've noticed a lot of people that are intending to apply in 2016/17 lurking around on other Cambridge threads. I think it's about time for us to have our own thread!
Hopefully we can motivate each other for our first year of A levels/IB and so on.

Post the subject that you're hoping or strongly intending to apply for. Feel free to post your chosen A levels/IB as it may help others to decide. :smile:

Also, even if you don't want to apply to Cambridge then this thread will (hopefully) be a good motivator, so feel free to chip in!

EDIT: I forgot to put my chosen subjects. :colondollar:

Spoiler

Your thread made it onto the popular section hun :biggrin: x
Original post by Gorwell
*High five* We have English Literature in common! I was considering Comp Sci until I realised the amount of maths involved. :eek: You must be very good!

Original post by yellowcopter
I'll join in then. :tongue:

A-Levels:
Computing
Maths
Physics
English Literature

Course:
Computer Science

The course I want to do and my A-Levels MIGHT change though, depends on my GCSE results.

CALLING ALL COMPSCI PEOPLE!

this guy is lving the comp sci dream... at Cambridge. I would wholeheartedly reccommend checking him out XD http://www.youtube.com/user/jaketvee
Reply 42
Original post by goldtippedarrows
Your thread made it onto the popular section hun :biggrin: x

omg!!! Excuse me whilst I go have a moment lol :dance: x
Original post by Gorwell
omg!!! Excuse me whilst I go have a moment lol :dance: x

Mal you've made it
Reply 44
OK, I was kind of a **** there...
I'd love to get into a university like Cambridge for Maths.

I think I'll choose:
Further Maths
Maths
Physics

And for my fourth I'm deciding between English Lit, Biology and Chemistry.
Reply 46

this guy is lving the comp sci dream... at Cambridge. I would wholeheartedly reccommend checking him out XD http://www.youtube.com/user/jaketvee

Thank you! Star, I've been looking for someone that does good Cambridge videos :tongue:
I usually watch Oxvlogs :biggrin:
Original post by JoshZ

Its okay Josh- It takes a lot to admit that- we forgive you :smile:
Original post by Gorwell
Thank you! Star, I've been looking for someone that does good Cambridge videos :tongue:
I usually watch Oxvlogs :biggrin:

ahhh I will check them out now! and Jake Wright wont let you down! xD
Reply 49
Mal you've made it

This calls for a celebratory music boogie! :bunny: :biggrin:
Reply 50
Original post by JoshZ

Don't worry about it dude :smile:
Original post by Gorwell
This calls for a celebratory music boogie! :bunny: :biggrin:

Ofcourse! Imma reply to your wonderful visitor message tomorrow- so that I can write it properly and with a fresh mind :smile:
Reply 52
Ofcourse! Imma reply to your wonderful visitor message tomorrow- so that I can write it properly and with a fresh mind :smile:

Yay :biggrin: Thank you! I shall think of more songs to send you, my iTunes playlist was on my old laptop, which broke :frown: so I'll try and remember some good artists!
Reply 53
Original post by CharlotteMcD
I'd love to get into a university like Cambridge for Maths.

I think I'll choose:
Further Maths
Maths
Physics

And for my fourth I'm deciding between English Lit, Biology and Chemistry.

I recommend English lit as it's an essay subject and sets a slight contrast between your other choices. Be prepared to put in work still as Literature is quite difficult from what I've heard!
These dreams will probably come crashing down back on top of me on results day in August, but anyway I have chosen the following A levels:
- Maths
- Further Maths
- Physics
- Computing

Degree I want to pursue:
- Aerospace engineering
Wow. I was looking for such a thread lol.

I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Economics, History for Cambridge Pre-U's and RS A-Level.:smile: (I would have to take Further Maths off timetable or drop it if I couldn't manage. Let's hope I could.:biggrin:)

Emmm... And I'm going to apply for History:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I wasn't motivated enough at GCSE's, so I'm definitely not going to have something like 11 A*'s. (My school only allowed me to take 9 just because English isn't my first language:s-smilie: Although I scored 7.5 in IELTS which proved I was fluent enough.) Probably 5-7 A*'s at the best...

So yeah, I'm going to work much harder at sixth form to get high Pre-U predicted grades, do lots of wider reading and get some relevant work experience etc. I'm starting at the biggest museum in my city next week:smile: Just trying to make up for my possibly mediocre GCSE's really...at least to some extent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

OOH, looks interesting. I'm gonna watch some of his vlogs. :biggrin:
Original post by Gorwell
Don't let the grade hinder you! If you feel that you have a genuine passion for it then go ahead :smile: lots of people, as you know tend to perform better at A level. A 'B' in GCSE maths is very good in my opinion (although I think you've done better than you think). :wink:

Literature is just :daydreaming:

I REAAAAALY want an A but I can just sense that I didn't do as well as I needed to get at least 120/200 for an A. :frown: I think I got near it, but just not enough so I'll still be on a B. Ah well, who knows, I'll see on results day. :tongue:

It's good, and enough to get into Maths A-Level at my first choice college so I can't complain. I'd be happy with a B since I used to be horrendous at Maths, I just think I could have done better. :frown:

Literature is the best subject, after Comptuing/ICT. :daydreaming: (Sorry, I love Computing!)
Original post by yellowcopter
OOH, looks interesting. I'm gonna watch some of his vlogs. :biggrin:

Hope it helps you yellowcopter dear :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending