The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by buckeybarnes
some of the mechanics is ok for me bc doing further maths i've already done the mechanics module of maths as well as stats, but its different mechanics altogether so its not too helpful, i guess im bad at it bc ive never really done alot of revision for it, kinda entering cramming territory rn lol... :smile:

Assuming you're on aqa for physics the mechanics isn't really that different from maths especially if you've done m2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
Assuming you're on aqa for physics the mechanics isn't really that different from maths especially if you've done m2

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've done M1, alot of the mechanics is the same but i guess i struggle to relate it in my head, it's really the waves and stuff section that gets me so much
Original post by samb1234

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even if you haven't done M2, the way of thinking required is same for all mechanics really :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't worry too much about your UMS right now. Just worry about doing your best in these upcoming exams, the worrying should only come after you have finished all of your exams, or better still after results day. I got some useful table from Churchill college last year when I went for the open day, it highlights UMS interview/offer ratios.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Protoxylic
Don't worry too much about your UMS right now. Just worry about doing your best in these upcoming exams, the worrying should only come after you have finished all of your exams, or better still after results day. I got some useful table from Churchill college last year when I went for the open day, it highlights UMS interview/offer ratios.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol that makes it worse :lol:
Original post by enaayrah
Lol that makes it worse :lol:

Honestly, it's not a great representation, since it only gives data of UMS, people are inclined to believe that those UMS scores caused their offers. When in fact it is the pole opposite; people who get higher UMS scores tend to correlate with better interview scores and it's that combination which gave them their offer. Just aim on getting as much UMS as you can, I was aiming for 95 and got 93, I was disappointed at results day, but it gets better, you just have to work on your interview/problem solving skills whilst in a discussion.
(edited 8 years ago)
Honestly, it's not a great representation, since it only gives data of UMS, people are inclined to believe that those UMS scores caused their offers. When in fact it is the pole opposite; people who get higher UMS scores tend to correlate with better interview scores and it's that combination which gave them their offer. Just aim on getting as much UMS as you can, I was aiming for 95 and got 93, I was disappointed at results day, but it gets better, you just have to work on your interview/problem solving skills whilst in a discussion.

Yeah. Thanks for the advice :smile:
64/85 for full UMS on a biology unit 2 paper I just did, but knowing my luck, it'll probably be 84/85 for full UMS in that unit this year :lol:
Do you think a possible 95, 80+ and 80 and a really good interview is realistic to get into MML?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Do you think a possible 95, 80+ and 80 and a really good interview is realistic to get into MML?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are those UMS scores from 3 subjects? If so, then of course. Although this is talking from a NatSci PoV

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was this a Nat-Sci specific Open day where you got this info or was it a college open day? :smile:
Original post by Wawasan
Was this a Nat-Sci specific Open day where you got this info or was it a college open day? :smile:

College open day, I went with my school :smile:
College open day, I went with my school :smile:

Ah right I guess I'd better get down to the Open Days in July then! I know, it sounds extremely lazy of me - but I was assuming that the College Open Days were just to have a look around the College and to see what life's like there but it appears that they do have subject specific information? If so, then I think I'll go down on July 3rd since some of the Colleges I'm looking at are open then, and it wouldn't be worth me missing out on some valuable information really :biggrin:
You should still apply (I will if I get over 88%, if lower, then I'll be applying to Oxford :erm:).
I know a fair amount of people who got lower than 90% and still gained offers. I guess if it's lower than 90%, you'll have to be completely exceptional at interview :smile:

Yes you do :wink:. My interviews went pretty well.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
64/85 for full UMS on a biology unit 2 paper I just did, but knowing my luck, it'll probably be 84/85 for full UMS in that unit this year :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow,thats good!Very achievable to get.
Original post by physicsmaths
Yes you do :wink:. My interviews went pretty well.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

What would you say is the best preparation for a maths interview, ie STEP, BMO etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TirnanF
What would you say is the best preparation for a maths interview, ie STEP, BMO etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Step I and the document on tsr of interview questions for maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TirnanF

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you can think they will give you an offer then let step filter everyone. Hope I ain't filtered ....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TirnanF

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also the trinity admissions tests on the trinity website were good aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wawasan
Ah right I guess I'd better get down to the Open Days in July then! I know, it sounds extremely lazy of me - but I was assuming that the College Open Days were just to have a look around the College and to see what life's like there but it appears that they do have subject specific information? If so, then I think I'll go down on July 3rd since some of the Colleges I'm looking at are open then, and it wouldn't be worth me missing out on some valuable information really :biggrin:

Oh yeah, the colleges are open to look around, but there are desks with information leaflets and such. Also there are talks on subjects, so I attended the NatSci talk at Churchill.

Latest

Trending

Trending