The Student Room Group

How can i get my stomach flat again?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by andy96
Get the 30 day shred by Gillian Michaels (it's only £5) and work out everyday or every other day or something. It only lasts 20 minutes but it is amazing! It was the same with me and I really noticed a change. However eating fruit and low carbs really does help too. You also feel less bloated and just generally more alive if that makes sense LOL. Anyway if you wanna work out but you dont know how to, buy the DVD cos it's amazing. They have stage 1 of the 30 day shred on YouTube if you wanna see (theres 3 stages btw) :smile:x

Strong cardio bunny bs. Over complicated the task at hand. I just watched a few minutes of G.Michaels video online for free.

Brb she says to do lunges and bicep curls to burn calories. Just a collection of fad pointless exercises.

Just checked out her meal plan. The caloric goal set for me was way to low. Its like the thing generates a random number. It didn't even take into account my body fat percentage. Therefore a muscular 210lb male would be placed on a same diet as a fat 210lb male.

If OP was to give me her details height, gender , age, weight, bodyfat percentage and activity levels. I could calculate OP's caloric maintenance level. OP would then just need to do some simple form of exercise 3/4 times a week, preferably resistance training or she could job/swim etc.
Original post by Appeal to reason
Push ups require very strong legs? What kind of push up are you doing? They don't even require very strong arms tbh. If you can't do full push ups (unless you're very inactive or overweight I don't see why you can't), do them on your knees and build up to the full ones.

Well clearly, you don't know what a push up is!

Original post by SillyEddy
I'm not sure where this push up idea comes from.

The only thing which would make any sort of sense is the "plank" stance to work the abs. The push-up itself would mostly work the arms, chest and shoulder... The legs shouldn't come into play at all.

Just doing planks would circumvent the need to do a push-up at all.

However, exercising the muscle in that region will not make that area thinner. Flat stomachs will come from losing body fat, not gaining muscle. That is to say, a sensible diet and a boost from some cardio will do over 90% of the work towards a flat stomach. Ab exercises will increase the definition, but a low bodyfat percentage will show off the muscle.

A totally flat stomach with no muscles on it? What are you suggesting she starves herself or something and gain fat in her legs? In order for you to be fit, you have to be active and yes cardio does that for you, but it's for your whole body, not specific to a stomach!
Original post by Fashion Girl

You're having a laugh, right?

[video="youtube;Eh00_rniF8E"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh00_rniF8E[/video]

Can you please tell me what part of this requires strong legs?
You're having a laugh, right?

[video="youtube;Eh00_rniF8E"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh00_rniF8E[/video]

Can you please tell me what part of this requires strong legs?

I'm not interested but maybe you could consult an encyclopedia or something?
I'm not interested but maybe you could consult an encyclopedia or something?

Nope, sorry. I don't need to do that to know you have no idea what you're talking about.
Reply 25

A totally flat stomach with no muscles on it? What are you suggesting she starves herself or something and gain fat in her legs? In order for you to be fit, you have to be active and yes cardio does that for you, but it's for your whole body, not specific to a stomach!

U wot m8? Press ups > upper chest.You seem to be on a completely different wavelength to everyone else? A flat stomach requires ab exercises and cardio to get rid of the surplus weight..
Original post by Angry cucumber

I think bloat might be the number one over rated cause of a pot belly or "pooch" as you put it. You only get it if you're fat or skinny fat tbh.

Yah agreed, but a decent nights sleep makes life oh so much more pleasant :tongue:

I think bloat depends more on your stomach's sensitivity, I get really bad bloating but I have stomach conditions anyway and stuff (and I'm not fat, skinny or skinny fat)... people who are more sensitive to things like gluten can bloat quite easily I think? I may be wrong about this, I do agree most people claiming to be bloated probably aren't but it can be a problem for some people!

oh yes, of course - and stops you eating so much junk the next day and helps you exercise more effectively... however laying on your stomach (like I was refuting) will change where your body stores fat
Original post by Tom78
U wot m8? Press ups > upper chest.You seem to be on a completely different wavelength to everyone else? A flat stomach requires ab exercises and cardio to get rid of the surplus weight..

Everyone else? Okay, that's some mass-assumption there but with that kind of writing its not surprising to see why!

Nope, sorry. I don't need to do that to know you have no idea what you're talking about.

That is great you think that! That behaviour speaks for itself!
Reply 28
Everyone else? Okay, that's some mass-assumption there but with that kind of writing its not surprising to see why!

That is great you think that! That behaviour speaks for itself!

Wot kind of wrting rude girl? me always a talking like dis, dun know already. Bumbaclart
Original post by Tom78
Wot kind of wrting rude girl? me always a talking like dis, dun know already. Bumbaclart
Oh yes, I'm rude! Haha! Amazing! :rolleyes: I know the idea seems incomprehensible to you, from the looks of it for some mental reason, but if you could please not quote me any further that would be great!
(edited 9 years ago)

:rofl:

Can't tell if clueless or trolling.
Original post by illusionz

I'm just stunned tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by illusionz

Can you please not quote me again? I'm not interested in what your confused about...try someone else who might possibly be!
Can you please not quote me again? I'm not interested in what your confused about...try someone else who might possibly be!

trolololol. Telling everyone they don't know what the most basic exercise ever is... and can't even give a video or description of your take on it.

Confirmed troll.
Reply 35
Original post by Michael!
Nope. Low carb diets are better for losing fat. Without carbs your body has to convert energy from existing fat stores. You burn fat quicker that way in comparison to a deficit diet.

No they're not

So you're saying low carbs in a surplus will lead to weight loss?

Type Omar Isuf - carb diets into YouTube, it will explain more
Well clearly, you don't know what a push up is! A totally flat stomach with no muscles on it? What are you suggesting she starves herself or something and gain fat in her legs? In order for you to be fit, you have to be active and yes cardio does that for you, but it's for your whole body, not specific to a stomach!

Firstly, well just listen to what everyone else is saying about push ups. It's all upper body but you need a strong core as well, but if you want to target the core just plank.

Secondly, to the bit in bold, you can't spot-reduce fat. You can't just "burn that belly fat" without burning fat in general.
Reply 37
Oh yes, I'm rude! Haha! Amazing! :rolleyes: I know the idea seems incomprehensible to you, from the looks of it for some mental reason, but if you could please not quote me any further that would be great!

Sorry babes, maybe we could sit down and watch Davina McCall's latest workout video together or Shaun T's Hip Hop abs.Hip Hop abs yo!
Original post by zKlown
No they're not

So you're saying low carbs in a surplus will lead to weight loss?

Type Omar Isuf - carb diets into YouTube, it will explain more

I'm saying that not eating carbs for a week or two whilst exercising will help you lose fat. It's as good as any other diet out there in my opinion. I've tried a lot and for me, the best results are with keto diets.

I don't need to know the intricacies of every diet on the planet to know what works and what doesn't and I certainly don't need to watch a video on YouTube when I know what I do works very well.
Reply 39
Original post by Michael!
I'm saying that not eating carbs for a week or two whilst exercising will help you lose fat. It's as good as any other diet out there in my opinion. I've tried a lot and for me, the best results are with keto diets.

I don't need to know the intricacies of every diet on the planet to know what works and what doesn't and I certainly don't need to watch a video on YouTube when I know what I do works very well.

Yes but what I'm saying is, low carb diets aren't directly linked to fat loss

Low carb diets usually means a higher intake of protein.

So really, a high protein diet is what is good, carbs aren't a bad thing, it's just when carbs are low, protein is high.

I'm not trying to tell you what is right and wrong here, I'm sure you know already. But recommending a low carb diet to the OP isn't the greatest advice.

Quick Reply

Latest