Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was due to the attend the summer school at Eton starting in about a week. However, I recently began to experience incredibly painful symptoms, including chronic nausea and stomach cramps etc (I don't want to be too tmi here), and my doctor has diagnosed either coeliac disease or irritable bowel syndrome, and is going to do a blood test to see if we can rule out the former. However, both of these require a carefully controlled diet, which I probably won't get at eton, due to the communal eating and the fact that I've only recently been diagnosed, so didn't put down my situation on the medical form when accepting my place.
    I should that note that my parents have paid in excess of £600 for this so far, for the course, train tickets etc.
    I still really want to attend, but I'm worried that the experience will be ruined by these crippling symptoms, and that I may end up going home early anyway, causing great stress for my parents and me etc. What should I do? Should I go and see how things turn out or cancel right now?

ReputationRep:
    Try calling up Eton and see if they can make last minute arrangements for diet. If not then sit down with your parents and see what they think is best.
    Get well soon!

ReputationRep:
    health is the most important thing in life. keep that as your no 1 priority

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i went on the summer school last year, they had plenty of food choices available. see if you can call them and notify them of your condition, they should be very helpful and understanding! plenty of people had very specific dietary requirements last year so you should be okay

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear about your health, hope you get well soon
    Speak to the organisation and explain to them what your situation is and even show them a doctors note.

But i think you should take advice from your doctor and ask them whats best because regardless of how much money has been spent (i know it can be hard and you can feel guilty) your health comes first and I'm sure your parents feel your health and comfort is much more important than any of their spent money.
    All the Best
    and remember your health comes first

ReputationRep:
    Definitely call them up and tell then you have just been diagnosed and they should understand and will most likely offer food suitable for you (if you give them the information they need). Good luck and I hope you have a good time if you go.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.