?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
sss
Lykabelle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ooh this is spooky. Just about to post a similar thread about taking an AEA in Economics.:p: . I'm interested in knowing too
Knogle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Aren't STEP Cambridge-specific?

I'm sure doing AEAs in Maths & Economics will be useful... but I don't know of any universities short of Cambridge which make offers based on them. I don't think we've reached a stage whereby universities are ready and willing to do so. They much rather use your 'A' level grades and other non-academic expectations.
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Synergetic)
Warwick use STEP in offers as well (at least for Maths, don't know about Economics). Yes, I'm sure it wouldn't be crucial, but I was just wondering whether it could be a useful bargaining tool. I've heard AEAs are much more common, and you don't really have to revise for them which would mean you're not wasting any time preparing for it.

So Knogle are you suggesting that I shouldn't bother with them?
If you have what it takes and are confident of straight As in your other A level subjects, I can't see any harm doing the STEP papers or the AEAs. They're another distinguishing tool, after all.
Realist101
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
you dont need step for economics at cambridge, nor warwick for economics either. AEA are not even made part of the offers given by uni's but if you can take them you may as well.
yusufu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Don't do STEP papers. Not worth the hassle if you're going for Economics.
sul
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Muffin Man)
Don't do STEP papers. Not worth the hassle if you're going for Economics.
expand 4x(x + 12)...thats the kind of economics u do at an average uni.

maybe gets a little harder if ur going cambridge, ie, differentiate xy^3....muffin man is right...not worth the hassle. i tried it, got SS but its still aint worth it.
yusufu
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I really do you hope you're joking. One of the main reason I want to do economics is because I thought it was very quantitive at uni level. Besides, I've heard Cambridge, Warwick, LSE, UCL - those kinds of uni's teach and use stuff like matrix algebra etc.

Thanks for the replies folks. I'll probably pass on the STEPs then, and take up the AEAs (if I've got time and I'm comfortable with the A2 workload).
lol. He is joking. He never took STEP.
Don't do STEP. I warn you. Don't. Just don't. I said DON'T!

:p:
yusufu
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol, you had a bad experience with them?
lol. Naw, turned out I had a good experience with them (see sig). But it's just not worth the extra hassle if you're applying for Economics (imho).
yusufu
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yea, I don't think I will take it.

P.S. what sig? ^o)

EDIT: Sorry, Just saw it
:yy:
Theorist
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There's no need to take STEP for Economics - only really for Maths. AEAs are your best bet, but they're not essential.

But yes, they do help to show who's keen. I don't think universities can make you offers on them, but of course, AEAs shouldn't be at the expense of your A level grades.
yusufu
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
How can they be? I thought you didn't have to revise for them - they are just harder questions based on your A-level syllabus AFAIK.
And as such it would probably be a good idea to revise for them, no?
yusufu
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Around what time in the year do you take them. If they're near the Econ/Maths A2 exams - then they would definitely be worth taking.
Theyre almost always at the end of june. The last couple of days of the exam season.
yusufu
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh that's quite good then. Hopefully you wouldn't need to revise too much because the Econ exam must be around a week before. And also, the double maths exams are always one of the last, AFAIK, so that shouldn't be extra revision either.
Possibly, and incidentally that is another reason why you shouldn't do STEP lol.
Jan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm sure doing AEAs in Maths & Economics will be useful... but I don't know of any universities short of Cambridge which make offers based on them. I don't think we've reached a stage whereby universities are ready and willing to do so. They much rather use your 'A' level grades and other non-academic expectations.
top universities don't care about those for economics.
yusufu
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Jan (Honza))
top universities don't care about those for economics.
True story.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (65)
26.86%
No (177)
73.14%

Watched Threads