Windows XP --> Office/Word included?!? Watch

*Di*
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
hi!
Just a quick and probably stupid question:

If I buy a laptop which has Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition pre loaded does it mean there is Microsoft Office (Home) or at least some kind of word processing program included? Or do I have to get an extra Office software just to write a letter ??

Thx
Mustard-man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Microsoft office won't be on there by default, it's likely to be 'Microsoft Works'.
Asriel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If office was included they would made a big song and dance about it, but it is highly unlikely. Try something like OpenOffice which is free and nearly as good or get the real Microsoft Office ...but it'll cost you
Angel Interceptor
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Works is good enough for basic word processing et al, and it has very sparse memory requirements, so runs very well on any modern computer, but as has been said, Office will not be included with your laptop.
*Di*
Ah, ok thanks! So Word will definitely be there?!
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No, work
Angel Interceptor
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by *Di*)
Ah, ok thanks! So Word will definitely be there?!
No! Did you not read my last post? :rolleyes: 'Works' will be on there, which is a basic Microsoft package of a word processor, a spreadsheet program and a couple of other things - it's good enough for basic word processing, etc, so as long as you don't plan on doing anything uber-complex, then it'll be good enough for you.
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Did you not read my first post??!!? :p:
Narsha
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
just to say...really hate 'works' i can't transfer files to my school network to print!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrr lol
banksy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've been using OpenOffice since forever.

I recently switched to Office 2007 Beta 2, it's just more pleasing to the eye - nothing more.
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by lovingbuzz)
just to say...really hate 'works' i can't transfer files to my school network to print!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrr lol
yes! It comes out with reems of pages of random characters.
dooby
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Surely Office must have a lot more advantages to the free Works though? Does the computer run quicker if it's works installed rather than the full office programs?
Tim Street
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The Microsoft office student and teacher edition is only 100pounds from pcworld; it has a 3computer licence, so wait til you get to uni, find 2 others willing to chip in, and you only have to pay a third
*Di*
Thx!

Sorry ... I did read your posts ... just being a bit stupid when it comes to computers :rolleyes: ... "Word" has become a synonym for "word processing program" for me as that's the only one I've ever used
Angel Interceptor
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Tim Kabel)
The Microsoft office student and teacher edition is only 100pounds from pcworld; it has a 3computer licence, so wait til you get to uni, find 2 others willing to chip in, and you only have to pay a third
You can find it for cheaper than that - I think that ebuyer or somewhere similar does it for around £70, so that's less than £24 when split three ways, which is pretty good value for such a high quality program.
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Or nick it. Like everyone else does for programs that cost £100 or more on a student budget. :confused:

I agree, OpenOffice is the way forward.
bedbug
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What's the difference between OpenOffice and Microsoft Office except for the price?
Larry Qwerty David
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
OpenOffice kicks M$ up the ****. Dont pay up for a bad product
Elvencia
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Where do you get this Open Office thing? And can you still, say, save stuff on a pen drive from it, and print it off somewhere else (eg, somewhere thats not got Open Office)?

Also, I'm guessing Microsoft Office isn't included with Vista either, unless it states it?
r3m0t
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by dooby)
Surely Office must have a lot more advantages to the free Works though? Does the computer run quicker if it's works installed rather than the full office programs?
Works doesn't open files made in Microsoft Office.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (22)
25.29%
No - I got the required grades (54)
62.07%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (11)
12.64%

Watched Threads