Am I lactose intolerant?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Ever since I can remember I've had a dodgy stomach if I eat rich things like cauliflower cheese and macaroni cheese, anything creamy really. I went to the doctors because I get bloated a lot and have diarrhea after rich food. She thinks I may be lactose intolerant but said I can still have dairy in small quantities (I don't really eat that much dairy anyway).

But last night I bought a sachet of iced latte (never drink lattes normally as they give me a tummy ache) and it was a large quantity of powder that was mixed with milk, the powder was mainly skimmed milk powder, so I guess it was like having double the milk as it was also mixed with milk?

Straight after drinking this I had diarrhea, had it all night and the most intense stomach cramps ever, felt like I was going to faint, it was horrendous. I'm still feeling really poorly and drained. Do you think this means I'm definitely lactose intolerant? Is this dangerous, do I need to stop having anything with milk in at all? I heard that yoghurt and cheese is mostly okay for this?

The doctor said I can still have anything just to know the limits I can take, but she seems to not want to send me for lactose test, she said it's not very nice and you can work out your limits etc yourself, so I have no idea if I am or not and what steps to take to stop getting bloated/tummy aches.

If you are lactose intolerant, what foods normally make you feel ill the most and what(if any) dairy products do you eat?

Any advice would be great!
simplylldxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't bother with the test, it's a waste of time. Just cut your dairy intake down and substitute dairy products with alternatives such as: soy, almond milk etc. Health food stores will sell alternatives and some supermarkets have 'free from...' aisles.
Bunny124
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I doubt it's dangerous unless you take in an obscene amount of lactose.

If you can't digest lactose - the bacteria in your gut will (which is why you have stomach cramps - the bacteria are producing carbon dioxide when they digest the lactose).

Yogurt has less lactose in it than milk does due to bacteria in the yogurt converting lactose in the milk into lactic acid - so there will be less lactose in your gut for bacteria to digest (which means less gas and stomach cramps). If you find you can eat a yogurt or two a day or cheese or whatever without too much discomfort, then fine, do it.

You can get milk without lactose in it if you want, you might also be able to tablet enzymes which break the lactose down for you so the bacteria in your gut doesn't have a chance to do it.
ukulele
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
it sounds like you might be. you should try cutting out things with a lot of milk in, such as milkshakes, ice cream etc. and stick to small amounts yoghurt and cheese. if you dont have any problems after 4 weeks, slowly try and reintroduce more milky products. if they make you ill, i would say you are lactose intolerant. its important not to cut out dairy completely, but cutting down your intake will prove whether or not you are lactose intolerant.
Superhalo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've had a milk allergy from birth, which has lead to me having a lactose intolerance. A lactose intolerance just means that the bacteria in your intestine (lactase) that breaks down the sugar lactose has stopped being produced. It happens in most animals naturally, e.g. cats have a lactose intolerance, because as milk stops becoming part of their diet the gene that produces it gets 'switched off' meaning your body can save energy by not producing it. This means the water potential of your intestines is lowered (there's more water in your blood than intestines) so more water moves into your intestines from your blood, leaving you with the horrible cramps, diarrhea and probably dehydrated which would leave you feeling washed out.

If you think about it, humans are quite weird by having milk after the first year, we don't even drink our own milk Its also quite a common thing in Scandinavian countries as they don't have a milk rich diet, so you're not alone

In regards to the how much should you drink, the best way i found was the common sense rule: if it looks like it contains a lot of milk, either try a small bit or don't have it at all. I usually stay away from most chocolate (dark has the lowest milk content), ice cream apart from soya based, cream, milk (obviously) and custards. Its also worth checking how high up on the ingredients list milk products and lactose is, the closer to the top the more it contains.

Hope this helps
owlsrnuts
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You are!
I've been lactose intolerant since middle school without even knowing it.Back then,I used to drink milk every morning and I would get the worst stomach cramps all day,everyday!
I cut the milk at the begining of high school to see if it was it,and since then I've never had stomach cramps again.
Anonymous111a
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
So sorry you felt this way. It sounds exactly like I felt one time after eating spinach and avacado dip without realising it contained milk products. I thought I would need to go to the hospital it was so painful. This is the gas being created in your stomach and your body's way of getting rid of it as fast as it can.Everyone is different when it comes to lactose intolerance. Sometimes someone can eat 7-9% of their daily food intake as dairy without it bothering them. However, it is hard to know how much you are going to eat during the day or per meal to understand how much dairy your body can handle. Other people can't have anything. Some find yogurt doesn't bother them since it often as active bacteria in it which can break down some of the lactose for you, but this does not work for me and in fact, yogurt seems to flare things up worse for me. So it all depends...Try some dairy digestive or lacteeze whenever you have dairy to see if that makes a difference for you. If you don't end up needing it, it will not hurt you to take it. Lacteeze comes in measures of billions of units, and I need 9000. This is what I have come to realise over the years. Also, costco sells a dairy digestive that I find works the best for me. This one produces no side effects, where others sometimes dont do a good enough job and I can still be a little gasey. (TMI, sorry). Also, it is interesting to know that french fries and hotdogs sometimes contain small amounts of lactose. Deep fried foods sometimes have lactose from the oil they use, so if you are finding those things bother you, it is not unusual and likely still related to lactose intolerance. Hope you have figured this out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (15)
22.73%
I'm not sure (2)
3.03%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (18)
27.27%
I have already dropped out (3)
4.55%
I'm not a current university student (28)
42.42%

Watched Threads