What A levels to choose for business administration / marketing?

Watch
maddie123123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I need to choose my options and I'm not sure what to do. I definitely want to do History and Psychology but I need to choose one other A level and an AS. I was maybe thinking about doing Philosophy and Film Studies. I would drop Film Studies after a year though what do you think?
wartortle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can do any A-levels for that course, just make sure that you can portray interest in that course when it comes to applying.

Why not take business studies, you do a lot of marketing, which you could talk about when you apply to uni.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For the Marketing and Business course at Uni of Sussex the requirements are : 'AAB-ABB and GCSE (or equivalent) Mathematics, with at least grade B.' At Uni of Kent its 'ABB with Maths GCSE grade C'.

The Maths bit is important - marketing involves a great deal of statistics, if you find Maths difficult/boring then rethink if you want to study in this area since both marketing and business will involves maths. This should give you a clue about what subjects will be well regarded - numerate ones like Economics and Maths, or those involving stats work like Sociology, Psychology.

Both Film Studies and Business Studies are considered very 'weak' subjects and will be disregarded by most good Universities, so certainly don't do them beyond AS level, if at all.

A combo like Sociology, Psychology. and Economics with another subject like Film Studies as an AS only would be good.
maddie123123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
For the Marketing and Business course at Uni of Sussex the requirements are : 'AAB-ABB and GCSE (or equivalent) Mathematics, with at least grade B.' At Uni of Kent its 'ABB with Maths GCSE grade C'.

The Maths bit is important - marketing involves a great deal of statistics, if you find Maths difficult/boring then rethink if you want to study in this area since both marketing and business will involves maths. This should give you a clue about what subjects will be well regarded - numerate ones like Economics and Maths, or those involving stats work like Sociology, Psychology.

Both Film Studies and Business Studies are considered very 'weak' subjects and will be disregarded by most good Universities, so certainly don't do them beyond AS level, if at all.

A combo like Sociology, Psychology. and Economics with another subject like Film Studies as an AS only would be good.
I was thinking about doing History, Economics, Sociology and Psychology now, do you think that's better?
Vitzy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by maddie123123)
I need to choose my options and I'm not sure what to do. I definitely want to do History and Psychology but I need to choose one other A level and an AS. I was maybe thinking about doing Philosophy and Film Studies. I would drop Film Studies after a year though what do you think?
I got 5 conditional offers for Marketing courses, 3 of which were Russell groups, and I do Geography, Psychology and Law with an AS in Biology. My only real relevant subject is Psychology, the main importance is showing an interest in the subject. There is no A-level in Marketing so admission staff won't expect us to be experts and have learnt about it before; they want students with good transferable skills that can be applied to Business/Marketing. Hope this helped!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
12.99%
I need help researching courses (7)
9.09%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.19%
I need help with my personal statement (32)
41.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (19)
24.68%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.6%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
3.9%

Watched Threads