Changing onto an economics degree. Help please. Watch

fishxyz123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there,
I have just completed my first year of History and Politics but wanted to change the History element to Economics. I have spoken to the relevant people in the prospective department and they said this may be possible. My question to you guys is - will this jump be too much? Considering I will have missed the first year of Economics will i find it too difficult? Has anyone else made this switch or are there any Economics students who could help me?
Many thanks.
Sanchez
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It entirely depends upon how the degree programme is structured. If it is cumulative and builds on the first year knowledge then I'd say it's definitely going to be a struggle. I'm a first year economics student (beginning second year in September) and I'd say without the first year knowledge I've acquired (especially in mathematics aspects of the course) the second year would be extremely difficult.
fishxyz123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sanchez)
It entirely depends upon how the degree programme is structured. If it is cumulative and builds on the first year knowledge then I'd say it's definitely going to be a struggle. I'm a first year economics student (beginning second year in September) and I'd say without the first year knowledge I've acquired (especially in mathematics aspects of the course) the second year would be extremely difficult.
They cover a fair amount of maths in the first year and do macro/micro economics in year one and then advanced macro/micro in year two so i'd say it's fairly cumulative. Is the maths basic statistics that i could teach myself over this long summer?
Sanchez
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by fishxyz123)
They cover a fair amount of maths in the first year and do macro/micro economics in year one and then advanced macro/micro in year two so i'd say it's fairly cumulative. Is the maths basic statistics that i could teach myself over this long summer?
You could potentially cover a fair bit of the maths and acquaint yourself with the micro/macro over the summer if you're disciplined (it's very long, especially macro). If you PM me I can recommend the textbooks I've used for them, they might be able to help although they do contain a lot of 'further' reading material which isn't necessary really.
fishxyz123
Rep:
?
Sent you a PM
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (154)
17.64%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.71%
No I am happy with my course choice (516)
59.11%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.55%

Watched Threads