Unfair means / plagiarism Please help Watch

raju14
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi

I have received a letter from the university requesting a meeting with me as they have concerns about the format of the piece of work. I can't think of anything i may have done, and will do through the piece of work. I am unsure what to do now.

I fear that the meeting is just a formality as if they already have sufficient evidence to warrant such a meeting, then there is nothing I can do. They haven't even given me any specific information about the specific passages of the work that this concerns.

A quick update. I have checked TurnItIn and I have a high rating, but on further inspection they are very generic things and so I do not think it can be those.

I see that my referencing is a bit messed up. I used Vancouver referencing for the first time to save words. As I was editing until the last moment it looks like not all the superscripts in the document does not match the references in the back. They are all there but have the wrong numbers. Do you think this could be it?

Also, I have used a fairly complicated software for the analysis that we were not taught to use. So maybe they think I copied?

I really want to know what the issues are before the meeting so I can defend myself adequately, but don't think they will tell me. What concerns me is that it must be serious to warrant this action, and that this meeting is just a formality.

I am so worried
TakashiLaSkunk
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you call them up beforehand and ask what the concerns are, there is a fair chance that they will provide you with forewarning.
Toki_Premium
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Make sure you speak to your student union advice centre to get yourself some representation at the meeting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
raju14
Rep:
?
(Original post by TakashiLaSkunk)
If you call them up beforehand and ask what the concerns are, there is a fair chance that they will provide you with forewarning.

Yeah, I saw the email late today and will contact them first thing tomorrow. I won't be sleeping tonight though!

From what I've seen on the uni website, it doesn't seem like I can get exonerated from this. I basically accept it and deal with the consequences, or not accept it and wait in limbo a bit longer before faced with same consequences.

I'm not sure if it's worth me turning up if it's already determined.
TakashiLaSkunk
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's always worth turning up, don't worry. If there was no point for a meeting they wouldn't call for one, they don't want extra work :P
raju14
Rep:
?
Hi,

I called the department but they couldn't tell me much as the man dealing with it is away right now. But they said it has less to do with plagiarism more to do with me submitting work that has those formatting comments on there. I must not have finalised the document. So maybe they think I had help? Or some form of collusion?

Anyway I've fired off an email requesting more info before the meeting, stating that I'm really worried as I have a phd waiting for me in sept
Slowbro93
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did you get a chance to speak to your student union today?
raju14
Rep:
?
I am currently in the queue waiting to see an advisor. Only a one hour slot so not such if I will get a a chance today. There are loads of people here!
raju14
Rep:
?
So that meeting was a farce. They can't send someone along with me as they are too busy. Just listen to what they have to say and be honest, they said.

Also they are under no obligation to provide me with anymore information beforehand. They do this to get a more honest reaction from the student.

If I wish to mull what they say over, I can request an adjournment - but they are under no obligation to grant one.

This is crazy, there is no transparency and all the power is with the staff.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (28)
25.93%
No - I got the required grades (66)
61.11%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (14)
12.96%

Watched Threads