Maths at A level

Watch this thread
H4nn4h_R
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm in year 10 and starting to think about A level subjects and was wondering what are the variations for maths at a level? I've heard different things and was hoping someone could explain the differences?
indigobluesss
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by H4nn4h_R)
I'm in year 10 and starting to think about A level subjects and was wondering what are the variations for maths at a level? I've heard different things and was hoping someone could explain the differences?
Well for Edexcel we have 4 Core modules that are mandatory (2 in AS and 2 in A2), then you can take 2 Applied modules (1 in each year) the applied modules include: mechanics, statistics (what I chose) and decision.

M is primarily physics based, S is all about calculating probabilities and D is kind of like using intellects :P People generally say that D is the easiest, but to be honest, it depends on how much work you put in B-)
crayolaguy
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
For maths at AS level you will do core 1 and core 2 with either M1, S1 or D1.
Quite a lot harder than GCSE but it's not like impossible or anything, if you just listen in class and do the work it's pretty easy to get an A if you're good at maths.

Core 1 tests lots of things such as basic algebra, surds, circle theorem, differentiation/intergration, co-ordinate geometry.

Core 2 is quite a bit harder than core 1 and it tests a lot of things in core 1 as well as sequences and series, trigonometry, logarithms and more.

Your 3rd unit will be either M1, S1 or D1 and these aren't really like the cores.

But yeah I thought it was a lot different compared to GCSE, I didn't find GCSE that interesting or anything and never really revised, I still got an A* from not revising but that can happen in GCSE. But the big difference is it will not happen in A level, you won't get a good grade if you don't study.
EXTREMEninja
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I will attempt to provide a slightly more detailed explanation than previous responses, without scaring you off XD

In the first year, you will do core 1 and core 2, along with an applied module. Core 1 will extend your GCSE skills, and begin to introduce you to some new (Though you may have covered some of them already) topics, such as calculus, and series. Core 2 will then continue further, going deeper into applications of calculus, and trig.

The applied module will either be statistics, mechanics, or decision maths. Mechanics is related to physics, but I found that it is much more in depth than the maths you would cover in a physics course. You will learn about constant acceleration, resolving forces, vectors etc. Stats is well... I found it quite boring, but it can be interesting to others. Probability, mean, median, mode, standard deviation. Various kinds of basic statistical things.

Decision maths is mainly how maths is used with computers. You will learn different algorithims, such as how a computer sorts numbers, mimimising costs, and scheduling.

If you want more information, have a look at some textbooks on these modules.
H4nn4h_R
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Great thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (50)
26.18%
As I expected (63)
32.98%
Harder (70)
36.65%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.19%

Watched Threads