The Student Room Group

Retaking A Levels and Applying to University

My exams did not go to plan this exam season, I revised carefully the content but in the exam hall I feel my anxiety and panic attacks starting coming to play. After this happened in one exam it all spiralled down from there, I was in shock and it affected my others. I know the content and I know I am capable and can get grades like straight As. I need to retake my exams, but because I froze my exam results will be so low my overall A-Level grade will be awful. How can I apply to university that will require the results that I believe I have the potential of getting when my A-Levels from this year won't back me up? I don't want to wait two years before going to university. I feel so lost and confused and helpless, because I did work hard this year, I don't know what happened in the exam hall.
Something you need to think very long and hard about is this : if an A level exam can send you into a catastrophic panic then University is probably not the right place for you. Its stressful. Its hard work. And no-one will 'make the exam easier' for you.

If your life is being this badly affected by panic attacks you need to get some serious professional help otherwise it will blight the rest of your life and is likely to impact on everything from jobs to relationships in the future. Make an appointment to see your GP as soon as you can. There are therapies/treatment that can help. If this takes a year to get right and 'fix', and with that you can get good A level results, and sail on into the next chunk of your life, then its worth the extra year. Going to Uni and 'crashing' can be utterly soul destroying - don't risk it, you only get one chance at Uni and it needs to be a happy experience.

Quick Reply

Latest