Worked hard and failed again Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am completely distraught, because I think I have failed my resit year of university... I'm a maths finalist at a COWI uni. first and second years I got comfortable 2:1s, though my marks varied from the 90s to 40... in 3rd year I failed 5 modules out of 8, partly due to personal problems. the modules I passed were ok, in one I got around 75.

Luckily I was offered a placement at a good company, so I took that for the year, and re-took the 3rd year exams, but I think I failed again... my prelim results say no award is granted, though I'm unsure if thats a total fail or a 3rd (The others' results state 1/2:1/2:2/Pending)

I don't know what to do now, I mean I have *some* plans, but I feel like I screwed up completely... funny thing is that I always went to lectures, I did well on the courseworks, I tried my best to be diligent, I don't go out drinking.... this year I went to see a private tutor to get help with everything, and I felt ok even though my exams were on consecutive days and even some days I had 2.

I feel like a complete disaster, I had plans to do a Masters and now don't even have a job to fall back on, except for this uni thing I'm doing for my department at the moment. another funny thing is that the admin and academic staff know me and seem to like me, or at least recognise me, I've been helping out with various things since first year, so it's now twice as embarrassing for me... so it's not like I'm like a ghost student who never turned up, who never cared or contributed and failed. uuuuuurgh I just can't cope with exams, I go into a complete mind block. It's caused me some difficulty at school, but I still managed to pull through even though it was stressful. but now employers won't care too much about my shiny A*s at A-level with my failed degree ((((((
threeportdrift
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
..................(
First of all, wait and find out what the final result is officially.

Then, if you have failed, and can't sit again, you need to look for work.

You are lucky in that you have two good options. Once you know the outcome of your degree results, contact the line manager you had in your job last year, and ask them for advice, what would they recommend that you do, explain that you enjoyed the work you did with them, but how would you break into that area without a degree ........ in other words, open up a conversation to get professional advice from a sympathetic ear who knows your work first hand might be able to offer you a job, if not immediately, then in the near future.

Second, look for jobs in and around the University. I've just worked at a Uni where a finalist was lined up to be a Union sabbatical officer (ie year after graduation) and got a third - sure a few people were saying Ooops! and so was he, but they did a cracking job as a Sab, got voted in for a second year, and has about 20 senior managers of the University prepared to give them an excellent reference, right up to the VC.

There are other options though, Unis always have entry level jobs in a range of areas, and they love to recruit their own students. Keep looking at your Uni job site and leverage all the advice, guidance etc you can. University staff will do anything for a cup of coffee - be bold and email either the contact for the job (if one is given, it often is) or anyone in the department (fortunately you can find that out from the Uni website) and ask if you could meet them for a coffee and get some advice from them about your application for X job in the department. It happens all the time, I recruited to several uni roles and most times candidates had arranged a phone call or a coffee to discuss the role with me - internal and external candidates. If one of our own students called, then I would certainly make the time to chat with them.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by threeportdrift)
First of all, wait and find out what the final result is officially.
hi! thank you for your reply I feel so embarrassed going in to speak to the tutors in my department, I barely got the courage to ring in today, but there was a kerfuffle with people being in meetings, so my request didn't get anywhere... I find out my marks tomorrow, the actual percentages I got. we have candidate numbers for each exam period, which allow for anonymity, but they change every year.. this time round I couldn't even find my 2014 one in the list, but my old one was there and it said No Award. I don't know why that is, I spoke to another girl doing a year resit and she said her 2014 one was used. so there's still a bit of a confusion but I fear the worst, I'm reluctant to believe they made a mistake...

Thank you for your suggestion with getting a job at the university, I have not considered that. I was going to transfer to an Open Uni degree, and do that, if possible. with my current involvement in my department, the admin staff were making plans to train me to develop a system, but I assume that they thought I'd pass and carry on with my degree. I'm unsure what will happen now that I'm out. because in any case, with a 3rd or a fail, I will be out of uni and not onto 4th year to do Masters.

With regards to my placement job, I did not enjoy that at all, and my line manager was a big reason of it... I don't even think they'd have me back... this past year was a big learning curve for me, but more in the sense of where I don't want to build a career.

I'm more concerned how I have cut myself off academically, I find that it's really a pity..... from your point of view, is there any hope at all? my plan was to get an Open Degree degree whilst transferring the credit I have so far, so will repeat 3rd year for the 3rd time and take the RSS (royal statistical society) Graduate Diploma exams
threeportdrift
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know it's hard to hear now, and it probably doesn't accord with your experience aged 20 something, but a successful career is much more about the person than the degree. More specifically, the opportunity to do a postgraduate degree as a mature student is becoming more and more common, and is likely continue to be so in the future. You'll be able to leverage much more out of a Masters you do aged 33 than at 23.

If you want to complete the UG degree through the OU then fine, but the career is just as important.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by threeportdrift)
I know it's hard to hear now, and it probably doesn't accord with your experience aged 20 something, but a successful career is much more about the person than the degree. More specifically, the opportunity to do a postgraduate degree as a mature student is becoming more and more common, and is likely continue to be so in the future. You'll be able to leverage much more out of a Masters you do aged 33 than at 23.

If you want to complete the UG degree through the OU then fine, but the career is just as important.
thank you again, and yes, I agree with you, it's difficult to handle at the moment... I've been brought up being told that without a degree no-one will want to hire me and I basically have no future.. though true to a point, this has had an effect on my confidence and I pursue myself as a reflection of my grades... this has happened throughout school and uni, though at school I seemed to glide through everything and everyone was happy. uni maths is a completely different world, for the first time in my life I actually struggled, but was told to just get on with it and it's not that hard because other people have done it. I realise this is not healthy, but I've had to put up with this whilst living at home. my mum put me down more than she supported me, and I don't know how I will tell her this time round.

and also I've grown up with this idea that something has to be done by a certain time. like I already feel I'm "late" because I don't have a bachelor's at 21, and now 22 have failed again. don't know what I'm late for, late for earning money probably. like why waste a year travelling when you could be earning money. that's why I never took a gap year, or considered delaying exams by a year because I didn't feel I was fit for them. one of my friends at uni (year older than me) has only just taken second year exams because she had a family situation in 1st year, so retook the whole year again, then at the end of the second year she felt like she was struggling with the work, so took a year out. whereas I was encouraged to just get on with it, now I see that what she was doing was healthy, she's preserving her mental health as well. I'm not trying to justify my incompetency, but I didn't know any other way than to just push and push. maybe that was the issue. so as a result she's going into 3rd year with a solid First and I have failed
threeportdrift
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

and also I've grown up with this idea that something has to be done by a certain time. like I already feel I'm "late" because I don't have a bachelor's at 21, and now 22 have failed again.
That's a very common feeling, you see it all over the place on TSR, and all tied in with 'I need to make the single decision about the future path of my life right now, my entire future depends on it'. I can guarantee to you that in 15 years you'll look back and laugh.

By the time you have lived your entire life again, that's 0-22, you will only be half way through your salary earning years, ie 44. Using current career statistics, you will probably have 3 different 'careers' before you retire, which will probably be closer to age 70 than 60. You've got plenty of time to try things and change your mind in the next 40-50 years.

So right here and now there's not much pressure of time, there is just employer perception to consider. Go and discuss things with your Uni careers office, and keep your parents happy with a plan of action. Be prepared to educate them though, about modern careers (much more changeable than in the past) and education opportunities (can occur at very many points during a career).
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (132)
18.38%
No (436)
60.72%
Not really bothered about them (150)
20.89%

Watched Threads