The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Of course there will be people like you, don't worry! Nightclubs are not everyones cup of tea. You can still go to the pub and drink coke, orange etc too, you don't have to drink alcohol. If you like sports, try joining some a sports society or something, there you can enjoy yourself and meet new people.

Enjoy:smile: .
Reply 2
Don't worry I'm 21 and have never been to a nightclub till the other night as it was a rock night. I hated it, was boring and I saw no appeal to it what so ever.
Reply 3
Thanks, it does make me feel alot better!
Dancing, drinking, music, friends, women/men:p: and a great atmosphere. I love clubs and goin out, ofcourse its not everyones cup of tea but I think most ppl who say they dont like it simply havent been introduced to it properly or given it a chance. Some nights are aweful trust me, but others are brilliant, just need to give it a chance. I have friends who didnt like clubbing and partying and all that, but when they came back from uni, they changed their views totally, and now their party animals! Advice: Dont go there saying I'm not gonna do this or that, just go with an open mind and get involved, you'll meet ppl and have a great time, trust me.
Reply 5
Good balance of people at uni. There are PLENTY of people that love drinking and going out (I do), but equally there are plenty of quieter people that aren't into that sort of thing. There'll be so many people that you'll meet loads of people with the same interests and social disposition as you.
Reply 6
Do you think it will be a problem if all my housemates like clubbing???
Reply 7
ferret123

That depends on how much you can sustain peer pressure.
Reply 8
I think i can manage with that :-)
Reply 9
Dont worry mate, everyone is different and like someone said, there will be a diverse range of people at the university. Like you im quite shy and quiet and i dont drink alcohol, although i do like clubbing. You dont have to drink and go clubbing to make friends, although it may be beneficial to try to overcome your shyness for the first few weeks to try to make as many friends as possible.
ferret123

Not really, you don't have to go...But I do tend to agree with ^^ livin_on_a_prayer ^^ that people who claim not to like clubbing at all just haven't found the right clubs yet...I hate chavvy meatmarkets and r'n'b/hiphop nights but love rock clubs and student nights, it might be worth just giving things a go?
Reply 11
I don't drink and I'm quiet and shy so I thought I'd hate clubbing. But with uni coming up I made my mates take me to the closest thing you can get to clubbing around here for my 18th a couple of weeks ago and I had a great time! So stay open-minded.

You'll find people like you, I'm sure, and everyone will be nervous! Join clubs and things as well.
Reply 12
I don't drink and am quiet and shy too. I much prefer a nice chat while drinking tea in cafes to clubs!
Why don't you start up the Chainsaw Society? I'm kind of quiet and shy. But I sure do love chainsaws! I'm sure there are other quiet and shy people who just adore the ripping, grinding action of a running chainsaw.
Reply 14
tommorris
Why don't you start up the Chainsaw Society? I'm kind of quiet and shy. But I sure do love chainsaws! I'm sure there are other quiet and shy people who just adore the ripping, grinding action of a running chainsaw.

:wtf?:
Reply 15
tommorris

...thanks for the ...advice *creeps away slowly* :hmmm:
Reply 16
Here are some of my special ice breaker lines:

to a girl: "Hi, I'm Bob. So... what do you do for some d*ck?"

to a guy: "Hi, I'm Bob. So... wanna go and get wasted?"

Haha:biggrin: :biggrin: It's one of those sayings I will never forget:biggrin:
Reply 17
im quiet and shy around new ppl and im not living at uni in september so im worried about meeting new ppl.
Reply 18
I am a little shy and have no self confidence. I don't drink also, and i am worried this may effect my social life. although i am trying to think positive, maybe i am being a bit unrealistic, but nobody knows me in london, and so i can make whatever impression i want.
So for once i can try to actually be myself, and act like i have the confidence i feel i have in my head. Also because i am moving so far away from home., it is even more important to make good friends. i am hoping i have a nice group of people in my flat, that i make good friends at my buyfriends flat and at my friends flat and with her flatmates.
Reply 19
joeybee
I am a little shy and have no self confidence. I don't drink also, and i am worried this may effect my social life. although i am trying to think positive, maybe i am being a bit unrealistic, but nobody knows me in london, and so i can make whatever impression i want.

It doesn't matter if you don't drink, it really doesn't. I don't drink immense amounts but still have a good time when I go out with my friends that do drink. It shouldn't make a difference, people will respect you for who you are, and if they don't, than you don't want to be friends with them - simple as that.

Just be yourself, cos you're sure to find other people out there who like doing the same things that you do! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending