The Student Room Group

Fed up of my father’s histrionic Quran reading....

I have put up with it for years, but my father’s Quran reading, as I have grown older, has become intolerable. Screaming, crying, and repeating the same phrase, before climaxing in a massive sob session; It’s a warped form of singing. He thinks he reads beautifully, but others, including myself, don’t.

Multiple instances have been documented: The Muslim woman upstairs complained; My mother hates it; He went to a relative’s houses where they had noise complaints; My younger brother’s tutor who came to the house and asked what the hell was wrong with him; I once could not conduct a telephone interview because of his squealing..

What really bugs me is his conceit that he is reading beautifully...
Much of this would be tolerable were it not for the fact that this person has ruined my entire life by his physical and emotional abuse, all based on that scripture he recites histrionically..

Scroll to see replies

tell him he's not at the Wailing Wall
Reply 2
I get the same with my mother when she reads Good Housekeeping.
Struggle to keep control sometimes
Reply 3
Persuade him to move to Germany where the neighbours will threaten legal action and the court will come round and measure the noise levels in various places.
His choice, buy some ear mufflers or something
Reply 5
Original post by Mubariz
His choice, buy some ear mufflers or something

Why am I not surprised?
Original post by Anonymous
Why am I not surprised?

I'm sorry, what were you expecting?

Oh I'm sorry your dad is exercising his right to do as he wishes and practice his religion freely, he must do everything to accommodate you.

Grow up, if you don't like it you either bring up the courage to tell him to stop, buy some ear mufflers or you put up and shut up
Reply 7
Original post by Mubariz
I'm sorry, what were you expecting?

Oh I'm sorry your dad is exercising his right to do as he wishes and practice his religion freely, he must do everything to accommodate you.

Grow up, if you don't like it you either bring up the courage to tell him to stop, buy some ear mufflers or you put up and shut up

That isn't a grammatically sentence now is it?
Please take your extraordinarily biased comments else where..
That isn't a grammatically sentence now is it?
Please take your extraordinarily biased comments else where..

You can talk, oh the irony

Anyway this isn't a English test I'm merely stating my opinion

Biased? I told you it is his right, just like it is the right of a Christian or a Jew to do a similar thing with the Bible or the Torah respectively
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Mubariz
You can talk, oh the irony

Anyway this isn't a English test I'm merely stating my opinion

Biased? I told you it is his right, just like it is the right of a Christian or a Jew to do a similar thing with the Bible or the Torah respectively

I also think it's ironic that you are telling me to grow up, but you are at the same time being quite rude..

I wonder where that stems from?

Either way, please give it rest; This is getting embarrassing..
I also think it's ironic that you are telling me to grow up, but you are at the same time being quite rude..

Embarrassing for you perhaps, Mubariz certainly hasn't said anything to cause himself shame.

You can be grown up and be rude, I don't see the correlation.

You didn't expect everybody to be on your side did you? He can read the Quran if he wishes, just as you may not read it if you don't want to.
Its a free country
Original post by Jonny360
Embarrassing for you perhaps, Mubariz certainly hasn't said anything to cause himself shame.

I never said that it was embarrassing for me or him... It was embarrassing in general..

And of course he hasn't said anything that would cause himself shame. I am more interested in the underlying root of the hostility that is dripping from his posts..
Original post by James222
Its a free country

Not when the woman upstairs is threatening to call the police, it is not..
Original post by Mubariz

You didn't expect everybody to be on your side did you? He can read the Quran if he wishes, just as you may not read it if you don't want to.

I never said he couldn't. Read my posts properly...

Think ten decibels louder with crying and screaming...

I am not joking..
I never said he couldn't. Read my posts properly...

If you read mine properly you'll find I never accused you of doing so.

Think ten decibels louder with crying and screaming...

I am not joking..

I highly doubt this as ten decibels more would make it around 4 times louder
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mubariz

As expected someone had to go all religious lol. The fact that he's reading the Quran or even a religious scripture doesn't matter. If someone is reading VERY LOUDLY and being VERY ANNOYING, it doesn't make it ok that the person is reading the Quran.

OP have you tried talking to your dad and telling him to try and be a little quieter?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending