The Student Room Group

American Pit Bull Terrier - should they be banned?

Reply 1
Guns, heroin, chemical weapons and amateur surgeons - should they be banned?
Reply 2
Original post by Clip
Guns, heroin, chemical weapons and amateur surgeons - should they be banned?

I don't think you can relate a breed of dog to heroin tbh.
No but owners who bring them up aggressively should be put in prison. We have had 5 dogs and none of them have ever been aggressive and they're big dogs too.
No way, it's bad owners not bad dogs. An owner can make a chihuahua aggressive with the wrong treatment (although they obviously can't cause as much damage). The penalties on the owner's aren't severe enough- why does a 'dangerous' breed have to be eliminated and yet the owners who've made them that way are allowed to own more dogs and get away with it? Next it'll be Staffordshire Bull Terriers (originally 'nanny dogs') or Bull Mastiffs which are now getting a lot of bad press for same reasons as Pit Bulls. No matter how many breeds are banned, there will still be dog attacks until something is done about the owners!
Original post by jessicaleigh
No way, it's bad owners not bad dogs. An owner can make a chihuahua aggressive with the wrong treatment (although they obviously can't cause as much damage). The penalties on the owner's aren't severe enough- why does a 'dangerous' breed have to be eliminated and yet the owners who've made them that way are allowed to own more dogs and get away with it? Next it'll be Staffordshire Bull Terriers (originally 'nanny dogs') or Bull Mastiffs which are now getting a lot of bad press for same reasons as Pit Bulls. No matter how many breeds are banned, there will still be dog attacks until something is done about the owners!

AMEN!
There are more family dogs, such as Labradors, that bite people more than pit bulls do - however, because there is such a small number of pit bulls and such a large number of Labradors, it seems fairly concentrated down to the point it makes it out that pitbulls are the bad dog.

It's also very hard to identify Pit bulls because they aren't actually a real breed, they're just a cross, and a lot of people in court use that to their advantage.

They are bred for fighting and I do believe that is in their blood, however, it all traces back to ownership - anything the owner does will reflect in the dog's behaviour. I know from work experience the "big bad" dogs that people seem to be afraid of (such as staffies, rottweilers etc) are 100 times nicer than those wee rats of a dog (jack russells etc). It depends entirely on the owner, but it's not just pit bulls that are a banned breed.

Also, there needs to be tougher sentencing on the people who carry out the fighting. They walk free after forcefully pitting 2 dogs against each other to the death, whilst training them using live bait - what sort of message does that put out?
Reply 8
no i think not all pitbulls should be banned because some can be very friendly dogs that are well trained from puppys
Staffies have much the same rep as APBTs. Very few dogs are naturally violent, it is the owners that are responsible for creating dangerous dogs. Staffs and pitbulls are generally lovely dogs; they can be very excitable and they are strong for their size, which doesn't help with their image. I think most of problem lies with chavs using their dogs as weapons. Bloody chavs :angry:
Reply 10
I think the problem is caused by their image. Pit Bulls were bred for their aggression and strength like many other dogs however they are also extremly loyal and intelligent. These days the traits they were bred for are still evident in their behaviour. For example i work in a kennels and many dogs are agressive towards other dogs. However this does not make them "bad dogs", they were bred for this. Responsible dog ownership is the key to keeping potentially dangerous dogs.
I don't think banning certain breeds of dogs makes the general public any safer.

Encouraging responsible ownership in general alongside special measures for particularly powerful/big dogs would result in a better situation than we have now.

People need to be punished for failing to control their animals as opposed to certain breeds being demonised and destroyed.
It is a shame that a breed is completely banned, when it is the humans who have no clue how to treat animals. If a chihuahua bites you, you'll probably need a plaster, if a pitbull bites you it's gonna be a lot worse just because of how strong they are, therefore they will always get more bad press. I think it's absolutely crazy that we need a licence for a TV, yet any old moron can own a dog and treat it like its nothing, a status symbol or an accessory.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think so. It's not the fault of an entire breed that some within that breed are aggressive. It's the fault of poor owners. We have a mastiff x and it's been suggested that she might be half pit bull or half boxer. She's the least aggressive dog imaginable and was a rescue case dog with owners that were prosecuted. There are variations of personalities within breeds just as with humans.. Animals don't behave uniformly.
No I don't think they should be banned. I've always thought that a dogs attitude reflects its owner more than it does the dog. Its all about the training and how the dog was raised from a pup.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Breeds of dogs should not be banned.

Any dog can be dangerous in the same way that any dog can be trained effectively.

The question you have to ask is whether the current legislation stops being being killed by dangerous dogs or not.

CLEARLY the laws we have do not protect the public sufficiently.

Quick Reply

Latest