is being ugly THAT bad of a thing?

Watch
username1398367
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've always thought that if someone were charismatic, intelligent etc. enough, they'd do fine on the social scene, regardless of what their face looked like.
a friend of mine completely disagrees and seems to be of the opinion that if someone is ugly, they might as well kiss any chances of having an active social life (before 30) goodbye.

what do you think, tsr?
Neuth
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by dire wolf)
i always thought that if someone were charismatic, intelligent etc. that they'd do fine on the social scene, regardless of what their face looked like. a friend of mine completely disagrees and seems to be of the opinion that if someone is ugly, they might as well kiss any chances of having an active social life (before >30) goodbye.

what do you think, tsr?
I agree with you...

But that's probably because I fit into the closer-to-ugly-than-good-looking side and I'd like to hope a social life is possible
JD95
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It helps if you aren't :lol: I think it does hold you back on some level, speaking from experience, but then I guess if people don't want to be your friend because of how you look, do you really want to spend time with them anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1398367
Rep:
?
(Original post by JD95)
It helps if you aren't :lol: I think it does hold you back on some level, speaking from experience, but then I guess if people don't want to be your friend because of how you look, do you really want to spend time with them anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
explain? i'm interested because I've never come across someone who's disliked another purely because of how they (both) look.
JD95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Quite a lot of girls in my early high school years weren't so keen on being seen with me even just sitting with me at school, never mind in a social setting, because of how I looked.

I guess (unrelated to my above explanation) as well, being less attractive can make you less confident in speaking to people who you know are more attractive, kind of holding yourself back socially.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1150116
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Being attractive obviously helps, but charisma and personality is much more important for a social life.
Michael!
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Confidence is key. I know attractive guys who struggle socially because they lack confidence. Equally, I have less attractive friends who go out and are the centre of the party. Purely because they have confidence. Although saying that I do believe that there's usually a direct correlation between attractiveness and confidence, the two go hand in hand. But if you're not the best looking person in the world then acting with confidence can take you a long, long way.
username1398367
Rep:
?
(Original post by seyrose)
Being attractive obviously helps, but charisma and personality is much more important for a social life.
but why would someone want to be your friend because of your looks? do I have a different definition of 'friend' from the rest of the world??? argh, this thread is annoying me already.
zaback21
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Caitlin_3008)
I agree with you...

But that's probably because I fit into the closer-to-ugly-than-good-looking side and I'd like to hope a social life is possible
If that's your picture and you consider yourself ugly, then we need to find a new word for ugly.
Neuth
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zaback21)
If that's your picture and you consider yourself ugly, then we need to find a new word for ugly.
Never said I was ugly... :laugh:
That photo is an awful representation of me though, I look a lottt worse in reality.
zaback21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Never said I was ugly... :laugh:
That photo is an awful representation of me though, I look a lottt worse in reality.
I would like to see that.
Neuth
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would like to see that.
What, me now? :erm:
zaback21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What, me now? :erm:
Your real pic or maybe you in real if that's what you are saying.
Neuth
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Your real pic or maybe you in real if that's what you are saying.
So confused... PM me.
Dilsz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Embrace yourself ^_^
Be happy with the way you loook
username1398367
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dilsz)
Embrace yourself ^_^
Be happy with the way you loook
not what im asking but thanks for the motiv. brah gonna do 199 turbo dead lifts now
xDave-
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
explain? i'm interested because I've never come across someone who's disliked another purely because of how they (both) look.
I don't think it's about what others say though, it's about worrying what others might think. Ugly people aren't really rejected socially, except by people that aren't worth knowing in the first place. The rejection comes from themselves.
Dilsz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
not what im asking but thanks for the motiv. brah gonna do 199 turbo dead lifts now
Why does everyone say brah
ArnoldSmirnoff
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
According to the likes of the Daily Mail, most people in the UK are ugly! :mad:
JD95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
But the Daily Mail talks utter *******s.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (564)
34.16%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (680)
41.19%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.11%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.54%

Watched Threads