The Student Room Group

I'm doing games programming what programming language will be used mostly?

Hey, I'm doing a games programming course at Bournemouth uni and I just wanted to find out the programming language mainly used.

In my college course I have been using Visual Basic, but I don't think this is the major language? I have been reading c++ and or Java?

Also what I did do in college, I still don't feel very confident at all, at the start will they throw us in the deep end. (I know the first year is usually easy I just don't want to go unprepared)

Thanks for reading and have a good day or night !
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Probably C++. Java isn't particularly speedy.
Reply 2
Damn well I don't think needing to know c++ from the start will be that bad! I'm gonna focus on c# then as uni start I'll delve into the harder language as and when needed.

starting to read the yellow book now interesting it's actually very different from Visual Basic in its layout
Reply 3
Pro tip: Email colleges your applying for and ask.
To be honest you'll probably use more than one, I thought iPhones use Swift or their own language and I expect you'll make a mobile game somewhen, whereas android use a different code again, so it would be good to focus on one you know, get confident in it, and then build on that.

Just html/css I really wouldn't for gaming.

Saying that I know Python and expect I'll have my course (Systems Engineering) requiring a fair bit more than that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending