The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Any other Americans attending this school?

I'm in the application process for applying to Manchester and doing endless amounts of research pertaining to my case at this moment, however the daunting theme of finance is still very present. I've searched up and down for scholarships and salvaged a few I would be able to do, and plan to work two jobs. I'm now aware that Manchester does accept FASFA, however that will only cover a small amount of total expenses (I calculated only approx 36% of total tuition fees, not counting living costs). If there are any Americans out there who have jumped through these hoops, or that could shed some first person light on this topic I'd be incredibly grateful! :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by BB2000
I'm in the application process for applying to Manchester and doing endless amounts of research pertaining to my case at this moment, however the daunting theme of finance is still very present. I've searched up and down for scholarships and salvaged a few I would be able to do, and plan to work two jobs. I'm now aware that Manchester does accept FASFA, however that will only cover a small amount of total expenses (I calculated only approx 36% of total tuition fees, not counting living costs). If there are any Americans out there who have jumped through these hoops, or that could shed some first person light on this topic I'd be incredibly grateful! :biggrin:

I'm attending in the fall, and you probably won't like to hear this, but if finance is an issue- I wouldn't go. Things are generally more expensive in the UK, and Manchester is considerably cheaper than a US Private School as is-- so I would look into a State school in America. I looked up the Stafford Loan process and they do not give grants, only loans, so you would have to pay it off eventually- which would take years and set you back a considerable amount. Maybe you could move to England after graduation? I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. They accept International students for their money. They would rather help out the immediate community with scholarships, and financial aid, as UK schools are there to educate UK students. I am going through the Visa process now and they restrict working hours so I'm not sure if you could even work two jobs, and will not grant you the visa unless you have a "comfortable" amount in your bank account. Maybe you could study abroad for a year at Manchester?
I hope it all works out. I'm sure you could find a US school with a better program, and could potentially get Financial Aid so you don't leave college drowning in debt. Good luck :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by natties
I'm attending in the fall, and you probably won't like to hear this, but if finance is an issue- I wouldn't go. Things are generally more expensive in the UK, and Manchester is considerably cheaper than a US Private School as is-- so I would look into a State school in America. I looked up the Stafford Loan process and they do not give grants, only loans, so you would have to pay it off eventually- which would take years and set you back a considerable amount. Maybe you could move to England after graduation? I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. They accept International students for their money. They would rather help out the immediate community with scholarships, and financial aid, as UK schools are there to educate UK students. I am going through the Visa process now and they restrict working hours so I'm not sure if you could even work two jobs, and will not grant you the visa unless you have a "comfortable" amount in your bank account. Maybe you could study abroad for a year at Manchester?
I hope it all works out. I'm sure you could find a US school with a better program, and could potentially get Financial Aid so you don't leave college drowning in debt. Good luck :smile:

Many of my peers and family do agree I'd be better off studying in the states. Unfortunately, I am (agreeably) tenacious to fault and must explore the options that would allow me to study abroad, even if it means selling my soul to the loan devil. I will hopefully pay forward for this first year and see where it is I'm at after a year. You do hold a valid point. Loans are the hell of the 21st century. But finding employment in another country so that you would be allowed to live there is exceptionally harder and tedious for those looking into the arts. Companies generally have to hold some need for you that wouldn't be filled or is harder to fill by those in the same country. But thank you! I'm keeping my mind open to any options in case it does not and could not in any way work out, our schools aren't too bad to consider. :smile: I hope you have a good time while in Manchester! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by BB2000
Many of my peers and family do agree I'd be better off studying in the states. Unfortunately, I am (agreeably) tenacious to fault and must explore the options that would allow me to study abroad, even if it means selling my soul to the loan devil. I will hopefully pay forward for this first year and see where it is I'm at after a year. You do hold a valid point. Loans are the hell of the 21st century. But finding employment in another country so that you would be allowed to live there is exceptionally harder and tedious for those looking into the arts. Companies generally have to hold some need for you that wouldn't be filled or is harder to fill by those in the same country. But thank you! I'm keeping my mind open to any options in case it does not and could not in any way work out, our schools aren't too bad to consider. :smile: I hope you have a good time while in Manchester! :smile:

I admire your drive!!
Original post by BB2000

Hi! I'm also American, looking into Manchester. From what I've seen, our best bet is to supplement ourselves through loans. More loans. Fannie may apparently is a good one for that sort of thing. I'm planning on being ridiculously in debt. But I'd rather be in debt and be happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Coffeetime
Hi! I'm also American, looking into Manchester. From what I've seen, our best bet is to supplement ourselves through loans. More loans. Fannie may apparently is a good one for that sort of thing. I'm planning on being ridiculously in debt. But I'd rather be in debt and be happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! I think you might mean Sallie Mae, because to my understanding Fanny Mae is a home mortgage helping organization and doesn't do those types of loans. The dangers of this organization Sallie Mae (from what I've gathered in my research) involve ridiculous payments as high as 9% interest and owing as much as 2x to 3x times as the original cost. But such is the nature of private lenders... Have you spoken to any financing administrators about options geared towards Americans involving any other loans? Only very little money is loaned out to students looking into abroad schooling...
Reply 6
I entered the avg. amount of what it would cost to get an education abroad at Manchester, and this is what their site had calculated. Depending on the type you may end up paying over twice or three times, which is a bit grim...
Original post by BB2000
Hey! I think you might mean Sallie Mae, because to my understanding Fanny Mae is a home mortgage helping organization and doesn't do those types of loans. The dangers of this organization Sallie Mae (from what I've gathered in my research) involve ridiculous payments as high as 9% interest and owing as much as 2x to 3x times as the original cost. But such is the nature of private lenders... Have you spoken to any financing administrators about options geared towards Americans involving any other loans? Only very little money is loaned out to students looking into abroad schooling...

Ah yes. That's what I meant. I haven't spoken to anyone yet, but as the time comes, I'm sure I will. I hate how in debt I'll be, but I think it will be worth it in the long run. I've read that Sallie Mae has benefits if you pay during your run at university, so I would try to do that.
Reply 8
Original post by Coffeetime
Ah yes. That's what I meant. I haven't spoken to anyone yet, but as the time comes, I'm sure I will. I hate how in debt I'll be, but I think it will be worth it in the long run. I've read that Sallie Mae has benefits if you pay during your run at university, so I would try to do that.

Well, you won't be alone as far as debt goes. I'll probably just suck it up and take at least a portion of loans to get me through it, because in the end an education is one of the biggest appreciating assets of your life. I really do hope it works out for you!
Original post by BB2000
Well, you won't be alone as far as debt goes. I'll probably just suck it up and take at least a portion of loans to get me through it, because in the end an education is one of the biggest appreciating assets of your life. I really do hope it works out for you!

Thanks! I hope it does for you as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending