Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

I just wanted to know which subjects would be best for me if i am wanting to go on and become an 'actuarist' (acturial science) because I feel i would enjoy that type of work and environment.

I'm about to embark upon my AS / A Levels in the next two years and am leaning towards: Maths, English Lit, Chemistry, and Physics. Are these courses right for that job. What should I remove and replace?

Thanks for your advice, in advance!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    don't do actarial science - you'll be doing that for your working life. Do something fun like astrophysics, aeronautics or something.

ReputationRep:
    They're fine. Maths with s1 + s2 would be a good combination. Economics would be useful, but not essential...choose maths + subjects you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coughsyrup)
    don't do actarial science - you'll be doing that for your working life. Do something fun like astrophysics, aeronautics or something.
    Fun has different meanings to different people. I repeat, FUN HAS DIFFERENT MEANINGS TO DIFFERENT PEOPLE. I would not enjoy any one of those courses you have listed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAsianProdigy)
    Fun has different meanings to different people. I repeat, FUN HAS DIFFERENT MEANINGS TO DIFFERENT PEOPLE. I would not enjoy any one of those courses you have listed.
    You're in rude form. Granted, fun in its absolute sense is very subjective. But fun as far as intellectual scope is concerned is easier to be objective about. By fun I meant more intellectually interesting/has more intellectual scope. Astrophysics is a bigger subject than actuarial science or accounting, whatever, and is certainly more exotic. I hope my lack of advocacy for a b-line towards a career without any lack of focus has not offended you.

ReputationRep:
    im actually thinking of actuarial science right now too.

Is anyone doing this degree or know anyone that is? how far can this get you? is it good also if you choose not to be an actuary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3.14159265)

Is anyone doing this degree or know anyone that is? how far can this get you? is it good also if you choose not to be an actuary?
    IMHO i feel the best degree courses to become and actuary would be one of, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Natural Sciences, Mathematical Finance, Engeneering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3.14159265)

MMORSE at Warwick offers an alternative to the Actuarial Science degrees...its specifically geared towards becoming an actuary- and I doubt HR would know this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hi there)
    Hey everyone!

I just wanted to know which subjects would be best for me if i am wanting to go on and become an 'actuarist' (acturial science) because I feel i would enjoy that type of work and environment.

I'm about to embark upon my AS / A Levels in the next two years and am leaning towards: Maths, English Lit, Chemistry, and Physics. Are these courses right for that job. What should I remove and replace?

Thanks for your advice, in advance!!!!!
    Lol...you mean, Actuary. If you are definite that you want to become an actuary, then do Actuarial Science at LSE/City. LSE is more theoretical, whereas the CASS (City) course is apparently a bit more related to the industry.
    Your A-Levels are fine, and like someone suggested the statistics modules would be quite useful.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.