Should A-levels be replaced by a Baccalaureate style exam?

Watch
teabagsrus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jenn.)
Ohhhh, I'm so sorry to hear this, dear. I know what you went through... I did the French Baccalaureate and it's A LOT OF HARD WORK. People have no idea! On top of that, I wasn't in my math teacher's good books (I got 20/20 in my last math bac blanc and 16/20 in the real math exam though, but that is only thanks to my determination and hard work! She wasn't a good teacher at all. I'd say that she contributed to 30% of my success). I'm really sorry to hear that you missed the grades by not so much! You must be so gutted (I know I would). I strongly encourage you to pursue your ambition. I really hope you will get a place somewhere! Your English is so good and I think you'll be missing out not studying in the UK. You'll definitely learn more there.

I totally agree with you. It's not worth doing your higher education in France, unless you want to study at the 'Sorbonne' and the like or do medicine there, but even so, you'd have to study 24/7 to pass your 1st year and aren't guaranteed entry into 2nd year.

Best of luck in your future endeavors, dear! I was fortunate enough to have got the grades and I'm extremely grateful for that because I know things could've gone wrong and my dream could've been ruined. I sincerely hope you will go to study at a good university! You truly deserve it! I wish you ALL THE BEST.

PS: I'm not glorifying the UK nor their education system. I'm just acknowledging the fact it possesses world-class universities.
That's a really encouraging message, thank you

Which bac did you take, and what course did you do/are doing at uni?

I have found the french baccalaureate incredibly difficult, and I forgot to mention that I moved to France when I was 8, but it's always been difficult for me to fully integrate myself into the system as I didn't have a lot of motivation at the time... I only got the motivation 2 years ago, so to catch up has been very hard. Better late than never, right?
I have ambition and motivation, and I've sent them a letter, I just hope they will see that
Jenn.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by teabagsrus)
That's a really encouraging message, thank you

Which bac did you take, and what course did you do/are doing at uni?

I have found the french baccalaureate incredibly difficult, and I forgot to mention that I moved to France when I was 8, but it's always been difficult for me to fully integrate myself into the system as I didn't have a lot of motivation at the time... I only got the motivation 2 years ago, so to catch up has been very hard. Better late than never, right?
I have ambition and motivation, and I've sent them a letter, I just hope they will see that
You're very welcome. It's in moments like these I wish we had an A-level system in France. Studying 3/4 subjects in-depth would be better than 8/12 subjects (learning another language is important and should be compulsory, though)!

I'm going to read Biomedical Science at Imperial College London this coming October. I studied mainly science at school (I did further Biology if that makes any difference). I always wanted to study and live abroad, so I knew early on I had to do well in school. But as you said, it's better late than never.:yes: Plus, moving countries is never easy.

GOOD LUCK :goodluck: Hope they still accept you. I think they will make a proper reply after A-level results day. So, keep holding on and tell them how motivated you are to study your course!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (98)
13.71%
I'm not sure (32)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (223)
31.19%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.38%
I'm not a current university student (345)
48.25%

Watched Threads