Turn on thread page Beta

Grr! I'm annoyed. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why does there have to be an option for retakes? If so, can't universities just be made aware of when people have retaken? I'm sure this kind of thing would also help universities with the tons of applications they get for Law.

It has just annoyed me because being a young thing (lil August baby) I wasn't as developed/mature intelligence wise as those around me who were nearly a year older. Now having increased my IQ dramatically in the last year miraculously (it's Ben and Jerry's Cookie Dough I tell ya), I now have done a lot better than those talented GCSE, older kids at AS level.

However, because they have an option to retake it doesn't matter. In fact, I have spoken to some who have only achieved like BBBC in their AS Levels but are still adament on applying to Oxbridge Law, simply because they are confident they can get those up to As with retakes (nothing seems to phase the cocky buggers).

This is of course true, as with more A*s than me at GCSE after they have retaken - they will then be one up on me in the competition stakes that is applying for a Law degree.

It further angers me that universities will not see UMS scores. As I could be compared with those who just scraped As but maybe got two more As than me at GCSE (I got C16th History = 290/300 and Law = 280/300).

Sorry for this long rant but it just doesn't seem fair to me.. And was extremely angered by those stating they will still get into Oxbridge after retakes.

Anyone agree? Or is it just me?

Ps: I'm aware procedures such as the A* at A level and unis being able to see UMS scores will help this situation but these will be implemented the year after me :-/

ReputationRep:
    OK they wont like retakes, and oxbridge ask for a breakdown of your UMS marks, so they cant use their marks from january since the deadline is usually in october, so they will probably be sent packing. Most unis dont like retakes. I tought all unis saw UMS scores now to try and distinguish? Might be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis-HuStuJCR)
    OK they wont like retakes, and oxbridge ask for a breakdown of your UMS marks, so they cant use their marks from january since the deadline is usually in october, so they will probably be sent packing. Most unis dont like retakes. I tought all unis saw UMS scores now to try and distinguish? Might be wrong.
    Some universities were taking part in a trial run of seeing UMS scores but UCAS have pushed the introduction of allowing all universities to see UMS scores back to 2008 I believe. (Not 100% sure)

And yes, it annoys me also Serenity.

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree that the A level system being slightly farcical, with the whole retake thing-

Didn't get the grade you want? Well, give it another shot! :rolleyes:

what gets me most is the part where if you don't score as highly in your retake, your previous score is the one which is counted! They should just give the A Levels away! Whereas im all for giving people with extenuating circumstances a second chance, the current system where any lazy bugger gets another crack at it is plain unfair to the hard working students.

However, im being hypocritical about this, as i myself retook an AS module in economics :p:

But hey, as the saying goes, don't hate the player, hate the game. Serenity, those you are annoyed at are just playing the system, if you can be bothered and want to beef up some UMS to make A2 life a little easier, you may as well do retakes too- got nothing to lose really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pretty Boy)
    Hasn't it always been the case where you get two shots at A-Levels? (i know mocks didn't count but thats not how the teachers in my school made you feel)

for example, we always had mocks etc. Plus at university you can have resits .

My advice Serenity, dont hate the game or the player and just focus on you.
    You definitely couldn't do retakes in my day! But then we didn't have the whole AS, A2 thing then either - you just did A levels, plus an AS level (in yr 13) if you wanted to do an extra subject.

ReputationRep:
    Serenity: I agree that it should be the case that students shouldn't be able to do re-sits because i believe that if students knew this then they would go that bit further towards doing better in all of their exams- which is as it should be.

ReputationRep:
    Further, there is no such thing as a "retake" of a case you might have handled differently or whatever. The whole system needs looking at again. I have literally just got in from holiday and its late, so will refrain from my take / rant on the A levels this year until I have slept...

ReputationRep:
    Why are retakes such a bad thing? In certain circumstances they shouldn't be allowed; people who do no work, and complain when they don't get the grades they wanted and resit and still get awful marks isn't fair.

However, some people just might have a bad day in exams, or have something bothering them that might have effected them on the day, but not their actual intelligence.

I had to resit some of my English exams; I got ACE in 3 exams which is slightly odd seeing as English is something you are either good at, or aren't. I retook the C and E and got them moved up to A and B respectively. I'm obviously capable, of getting the grades, but think the marking was slightly messed up seeing as this happened to a lot of people in my class. My friend went up from a U to an A, 86/90 in fact, so its not as if she isn't capable.

EDIT: Oops, just noticed this was a Law thread (I first noticed it when it was on the side of the main forum page) so just ignore me!

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps they should be allowed but you can only score, say, a certain percentage higher than your original score?

The reason why we are saying this is because at uni you cant resit unlimited, and even if you resit it is purely to progress, you cant factor the new mark into your degree average, so why should be able to do the equiv at a-level? When the whole purpose of a-levels is for unis to assess you and admit you on the basis of your merits. Its just not right to be available, also loads come to uni and dont realise how tough it will be cos at a-level they were just like @ah yea, resits", and dont realise the differing effect. Although I suppose first year resits dont really matter at all do they? Its all about passing, so who knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis-HuStuJCR)
    Perhaps they should be allowed but you can only score, say, a certain percentage higher than your original score?

The reason why we are saying this is because at uni you cant resit unlimited, and even if you resit it is purely to progress, you cant factor the new mark into your degree average, so why should be able to do the equiv at a-level? When the whole purpose of a-levels is for unis to assess you and admit you on the basis of your merits. Its just not right to be available, also loads come to uni and dont realise how tough it will be cos at a-level they were just like @ah yea, resits", and dont realise the differing effect. Although I suppose first year resits dont really matter at all do they? Its all about passing, so who knows.
    Most universities only allow you to resit if you have failed a Law module (like e.g. Contract Law or Tort Law), if by resitting the exam you get a First class result (like say 72%) then you still will only be able to get (I think) 40% as your grade for that subject which is a 3rd class result and is the highest mark that they give for resits.
    Thats pretty tough and doesn't really solve the problem for A-level resits.
    Because people are getting from 'U' grades to 'A' grades and still resitting them. If you were to say that the highest mark that they could achieve was a 'C' grade then that would mean that only 'D' grade and below students would be allowed to resit them and not students that got a 'B' and above. This is likely to bring in new problems and so the best thing to do would be to say absolutely no resits except due to any mitigating circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people at my school lived by he mantra that there were 'always resits' - needless to say, it wasn't an atitude that tended to lead to Oxbridge (or good results in the resits for that matter! )

ReputationRep:
    Whats wrong with re-sits exactly? I can't see the problem in allowing people two bites of the cherry, the re-sit exam questions are not easier, answering exam questions is a skill and sometimes you will just have a bad day, have a question you read wrong or even miss out a whole page of an exam! (psychoholgy GCSE ) surely people who will make those mistakes should get another chance as it already seems so harsh that your whole future could be decided on an hour and a half exam! At our school we hadnt even had a proper mock exam for three out of my four AS subjects, think about the pressure that is on students already, its such a big thing you could lose if you mess up that it is important to give students the chance to have another go, after all its not like they will have to know less to get the A grade.

ReputationRep:
    One chance is fine, unlimited isnt. The point is that if you cant do it at uni why let people get there by being able to do resits. Not allowing them or making them not get top marks etc etc prepares you for uni more. Perhaps indicative of this is when unis now say that results must be obtained all at once and at th efirst sitting.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 24, 2006

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.