The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

regretting not firming manchester, what can i do now

manchester uni is like the place i want to be, unfortunately i have turned down their offer since i have a better offer from warwick (from accounting, 38 IB pts), and it's too risky to make it as an insurance choice (cause i dont feel confident about my results)..so i put cardiff over manchester.. (theyre both 35), considering it doesnt state like manchester, it doesnt accept a 4..however, i have heard of cases of someone getting a high overall, and unis neglect the person having a 4/5 as long as the overall is high enough..

anyhow im really interested in doing BScEcon/BAEcon or engineering (but let's face it I dont have a Science at HL, i do have maths HL tho, if that makes any difference. My subjects are Econs Business Maths at HL, Malay English Bio SL)
However i heard it's possible to apply though clearing and I'm betting BA Econ is quite not very competitive?
Is there any hope to go into clearing into these courses? I really wanna go to manchester
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by monsieurmadeline2041
manchester uni is like the place i want to be, unfortunately i have turned down their offer since i have a better offer from warwick (from accounting, 38 IB pts), and it's too risky to make it as an insurance choice (cause i dont feel confident about my results)..so i put cardiff over manchester.. (theyre both 35), considering it doesnt state like manchester, it doesnt accept a 4..however, i have heard of cases of someone getting a high overall, and unis neglect the person having a 4/5 as long as the overall is high enough..

anyhow im really interested in doing BScEcon/BAEcon or engineering (but let's face it I dont have a Science at HL, i do have maths HL tho, if that makes any difference. My subjects are Econs Business Maths at HL, Malay English Bio SL)
However i heard it's possible to apply though clearing and I'm betting BA Econ is quite not very competitive?
Is there any hope to go into clearing into these courses? I really wanna go to manchester

Last year Manchester went into clearing. This year I get the feeling they are adamant in avoiding going into clearing. So maybe you should call manchester and ask for advice.

Can I ask why you 'really wanna go to' manchester, and why you didn't choose it in the first place if you really want to go? Did you change your mind, or was it really because 'strategic' reasons like you stated?
(edited 9 years ago)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by kaffee
Last year Manchester went into clearing. This year I get the feeling they are adamant in avoiding going into clearing. So maybe you should call manchester and ask for advice.

Can I ask why you 'really wanna go to' manchester, and why you didn't choose it in the first place if you really want to go? Did you change your mind, or was it really because 'strategic' reasons like you stated?

only cause I really liked that place, but then again it would be stupid to not choose warwick over manchester

it's complicated, if i have to choose i really wanted to do economics at a place like manchester or london (cities), but ive always thought i should go to a better place (top unis) for the sake of better education
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
only cause I really liked that place, but then again it would be stupid to not choose warwick over manchester

it's complicated, if i have to choose i really wanted to do economics at a place like manchester or london (cities), but ive always thought i should go to a better place (top unis) for the sake of better education

Is Manchester not a top uni?? It ranks 33rd in the world and has 25 nobel prize winners. You seem to be basing your top/non-top uni distinction off national league tables, which are based dominantly on student satisfaction, which isn't really a good gauge of 'better education'.

You know, in terms of student satisfaction Harvard ranks 30th, while 'Williams College' ranks 2nd. Which one would better fit the term 'top uni'?

I don't think student satisfaction necessarily amounts to better education. It might just be that the exams are easier.

Someone in another forum might say it better than I could: "If you need small nurturing environment -- go to Williams. If you can take care of the education on your own and want the larger environment -- go ivy." http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/harvard-university/199460-harvard-williams.html
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kaffee
Is Manchester not a top uni?? It ranks 33rd in the world and has 25 nobel prize winners. You seem to be basing your top/non-top uni distinction off national league tables, which are based dominantly on student satisfaction, which isn't really a good gauge of 'better education'.

You know, in terms of student satisfaction Harvard ranks 30th, while 'Williams College' ranks 2nd. Which one would better fit the term 'top uni'?

I don't think student satisfaction necessarily amounts to better education. It might just be that the exams are easier.

Someone in another forum might say it better than I could: "If you need small nurturing environment -- go to Williams. If you can take care of the education on your own and want the larger environment -- go ivy." http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/harvard-university/199460-harvard-williams.html

manchester is a top uni, but warwick is better for my course, accounting and finance.
Reply 5
manchester is a top uni, but warwick is better for my course, accounting and finance.

What about Exeter. Its 10th place on the league tables. Would you consider it more 'top'/better than Manchester and Warwick?

And what about Southampton. 16th place?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Look at this:

" Its seen as fairly prestigious as one of the top universities in the country, and performs highly on league tables. As others have said its not up with Oxbridge but it is highly prestigious. It is a Russel Group university, has acchieved university of the year status twice (since 2004) and is looking and moving up, which is not the case with many universities - remember you cannot look just where the uni is today but try and think where it will be in years to come when you need your degree. Certainly the course you go for will play a huge part in whether it is recognised for what you're doing; sciences, social sciences, humanities and engineering are particularly welll recognised with the university.

Manchester itself is not an original redbrick; taking over from UMIST and Victoria - although Victoria was more usually called university of Manchester and its logo displayed it as such the University of Manchester following the merger takes UMISTs' age and covers both of the campuses. It has over 40000 students, who in the words of an earlier answerer can't all be wrong. " https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080103103521AA28Ujy

What do you think.
Reply 7
For Accounting and Finance. Students admitted with an AAB+

Exeter 87.60%
LSE 81.36%
Bristol 78.95%
Warwick 75.53%

(Source HESA)
Reply 8
Original post by Film

Exeter 87.60%
LSE 81.36%
Bristol 78.95%
Warwick 75.53%

(Source HESA)

Whats that mean
Reply 9
Original post by kaffee
Whats that mean

It that for specifically Accounting and Finance, more top students went to Exeter than the other schools mentioned.

At least they had a higher % of students with a AAB or higher.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Film
It that for specifically Accounting and Finance, more top students went to Exeter than the other schools mentioned.

At least they had a higher % of students with a AAB or higher.

Is exeter better than manchester, or southampton? I suppose u wld use the league tables for this? Generally exeter is higher ranking (10th) and also higher for law. But why its not even ranked in the qs world ranking? What if the league table and all these figures you are using change next year? Dont you think its better to base our choice on notoriety and say the 'product' of the university, like the fact that manchester has 25 nobel prize winners?

Also, is student town or city based better? Op seems to like city based better.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Film

Exeter 87.60%
LSE 81.36%
Bristol 78.95%
Warwick 75.53%

(Source HESA)

I doubt only 80% of people at LSE got AAB+...that seems awfully low
Reply 12
Original post by Frank the Tankk
I doubt only 80% of people at LSE got AAB+...that seems awfully low

It is specifically for Accounting and Finance. Overall, for all courses combined, for LSE it is 92.5%.
Original post by Film
It is specifically for Accounting and Finance. Overall, for all courses combined, for LSE it is 92.5%.

Wow, I was under the impression that everyone at LSE would have at least AAA, regardless of the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending