Meal recipes for university Watch

lizziec1996
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Do any current university students have easy cheap recipes for meals at university?
when I (hopefully) go in September, I don't want to be living off spagetti hoops and supernoodles!
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Only middle aged WI members follow recipes. Just cook food until it is ready and then eat it.
lizziec1996
Rep:
?
(Original post by cole-slaw)
Only middle aged WI members follow recipes. Just cook food until it is ready and then eat it.
Okay rather than 'recipes' then just meal ideas lol
Freudian Slip
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lizziec1996)
http://studentrecipes.com/

That website was *cough* andkindastillis *cough* pretty invaluable to me during my studies.
cole-slaw
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Okay rather than 'recipes' then just meal ideas lol

Any cuisine in particular? There are so many.

There are two ways to go about it:
1) before you go shopping think of a load of different meals you fancy eating, then buy the necessary ingredients.

2) just buy a load of generic ingredients that mesh well together, then when it comes to dinner time, just make it up as you go along.
vickidc18
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi Lizzie, I'm a student with a 1 year old so I do quite a lot of cooking, I like to batch cook and freeze meals when you are a busy student it's great just to do pick stuff out of the freezer & cook it when Im hungry.
go to aldi & lidl they do some really good stuff for half the price of the big supermarkets,
Bolognese bake, is really cheap & tasty

900g of mince from aldi or lidl costs £2.80 you can make 5 portions of bolognese bake

1. Onion
2. Garlic
3. 2 Jars of generic pasta sauce
4. 900g of mince
5, 500g pasta shells (20p) get the budget ones dried pasta tastes the same as the more expensive ones
6, Cheese for the topping

Boil your pasta, boil 2litres of water in the kettle then add it to the pasta (cooks quicker) then leave it to boil on the hob until the pasta is soft
Brown the mince onion and garlic together then add the pasta sauces simmer for 2 mins
Get a casserole dish put the pasta in the bottom and the sauce on the top add the cheese and bake for 20 minutes
Eat a portion then leave the rest to cool once it's cool put the portions into those plastic takeaway containers and put them in the freezer
cole-slaw
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by vickidc18)
Hi Lizzie, I'm a student with a 1 year old so I do quite a lot of cooking, I like to batch cook and freeze meals when you are a busy student it's great just to do pick stuff out of the freezer & cook it when Im hungry.
go to aldi & lidl they do some really good stuff for half the price of the big supermarkets,

900g of mince from aldi or lidl costs £2.80 you can make 5 portions of bolognese bake

1. Onion
2. Garlic
4. 900g of mince
5, 500g pasta shells (20p) get the budget ones dried pasta tastes the same as the more expensive ones

Boil your pasta, boil 2litres of water in the kettle then add it to the pasta (cooks quicker) then leave it to boil on the hob until the pasta is soft
Brown the mince onion and garlic together then add the pasta sauces simmer for 2 mins
Get a casserole dish put the pasta in the bottom and the sauce on the top add the cheese and bake for 20 minutes
Eat a portion then leave the rest to cool once it's cool put the portions into those plastic takeaway containers and put them in the freezer
where's the veg? :confused:
vickidc18
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cole-slaw)
where's the veg? :confused:
I forgot I get the pasta sauce with veg already in from lidl it has courgette & peppers it costs like 65p or you can use passata or chopped tomatoes to add more vegetables.
lizziec1996
Rep:
?
Thanks guys these are really helpful!
Grace by Yahweh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks guys these are really helpful!

Bung a medium size chicken in the oven - label will usually say how long to roast it for, I always add an extra 10-15 mins. (make sure it is minus giblets - very important!). Just add a little oil over it first.

On another baking tray chuck in a few halved new potatoes, big chunks of carrots, red onion, some veg like courgette slices and cherry tomatoes, pour on some good oil like olive oil and then roast this for 1/2 hour - at the end of the cooking time for the chicken.

Delicious, you could add some gravy too.

This could feed 4, bigger the chicken the more it will feed, obvs

A Chicken costs about £5-6, the veg (use savers stuff) about £5.

Approx £2.50 each for dinner and easy.
redferry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Spanish omelette -eggs peppers onions potatoes cheese

Fry potatoes, then onions and peppers then beat eggs so u til bubbly, add cheese, salt and pepper, pur in then grill to cook the top.

Leftovers are good in a sand which with brown sauce
shilpasajan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why not try stir fries? The blue dragon stir fry sauces only cost about 65p per packet, and you can get a bag of frozen chicken breasts very cheap at Aldi....the sauce packs usually have a recipe on the back that's really easy to follow and takes minimal time

http://studentrecipes.com/
^This thing is a godsend
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've got some really good recipe books, all of which fit my criteria of (a) not too many ingredients (b) don't require ridiculous bits of kit that I don't have space to store, and (c) are fairly cheap to make

- Beyond Baked Beans by Fiona Beckett. It's a series of three books - the first one, 'green' (vegetarian) and 'budget', and they can all be picked up second hand on Amazon for 1p. These books were genuinely how I taught myself to cook, and I'm a pretty good cook now tbf.
- Hamlyn Student Cookbook - I've only got the veggie one, but I would imagine that the 'normal' one is just as good
- A Girl Called Jack - a relatively new budget cookbook from a moderately well known blogger www.agirlcalledjack.com It's not strictly a student cookbook, but the recipes are all cheap, fairly simple and tend to be based on store cupboard staples.

If you've got specific ingredient(s) that need to be used up, then www.supercook.com is an awesome website that lets you search based on what you already have.

A couple of useful basic recipes, however, are

Homemade pasta sauce (makes enough for 1-2 portions)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed or chopped finely
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- herbs - can either be 2tbsp chopped fresh herbs (parsley or basil would be idea) or 1tsp dried herbs
- spices - there's lots that you can try and use e.g. a little chilli powder or some chinese five spice (experiment!)
- grated parmesan (optional)

All you need to do is
- heat the oil in a frying pan
- add garlic and dried herbs / spices (if using)
- add the tomatoes, and crush with a fork
- add a little salt and pepper
- Simmer for 10 minutes until it has reached a thick and 'jammy' consistency
- Stir in any fresh herbs and cook for a further minute
- Serve with pasta
- Top with parmesan, if you're using it.

This is the sort of recipe that lends itself well to lots of different variations e.g. adding a tin of tuna or fresh mixed seafood, and can also be used if you're making a lasagne.

Tuna pasta bake (makes enough for about 3 good sized portions)
- 200g pasta shapes (e.g. fusilli - don't use spaghetti / linguine though)
- 295g tin of condensed mushroom soup (NB it must be condensed)
- 200ml milk
- half a bunch of spring onions,
- 200g tin of tuna, drained
- 100g grated cheddar
- 200g tin sweetcorn, drained (optional)

Cook and drain the pasta according to the instructions on the packet
Stir in soup, milk, onions, tuna and sweetcorn
Heat through, stirring regularly
Put into a flameproof dish (e.g. pyrex - I normally use my pyrex mixing bowl for this one)
Top with the cheese
Grill until the cheese is golden

Earthy Red Wine & Mushroom Risotto
http://agirlcalledjack.com/2013/03/2...m-risotto-36p/
sliceofcake
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
One of my favourite cheap meals is what I've called 'sausage pot'.
Get several potatoes, peel and chop up into small chunks and put on to boil
Heat up the oven, cook 4 sausages (I buy the cheap bag of 20 pork sausages for £1.75 from Morrisons)
If you put the potatoes on first, they should be done before the sausages are cooked. Drain the potatoes and put them in the oven too, maximum 10 minutes before the sausages are cooked; it's not to roast them, but to give them a firm exterior so they don't turn into mash
Get a cooking dish (the kind you'd make pasta bake in), add a tin of beans, I usually add some salt and black pepper
Once the sausages are cooked, chop each one into 4 and add them to the beans, stir so they're all coated in the tomato sauce and then spread evenly along the bottom of the dish. This serves 2 so make sure you have 8 chunks of sausage on each side)
Layer the potatoes on top of the bean/sausage mixture and add grated cheese on top. Put back in oven for about 10 minutes and you're done.
Louise262
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by vickidc18)

1. Onion
2. Garlic
4. 900g of mince

This sounds really good! How long do you microwave the leftovers and on what temperature do you microwave them on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
93jm
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
egg and chips
doom_rever
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is a good hearty meal for those cold winter months.

Dice up potatoes, carrots, turnip into 1cm cubes and bung into an oven for ~ 20 mins. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Fry some mince a chopped onion & some chestnut mushrooms in a pan. Stir in a can of oxtail soup and simmer for 5-10 mins folding in the veg. Then serve with a hearty crusty white bread. Really hits the spot on a cold winters evening.
heidigirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I recommend all the BBC Good food recipe books; particularly good ones are '101 Cheap Eats', One-Pot Dishes, and Soups and Sides. I love the soup one especially; soups are great, especially for the winter, because they're usually cheap, filling, packed with yummy healthy ingredients, and involve chucking everything into a pan and leaving it to cook.

Also ask your mum/dad/neighbour/gran etc to write down a couple of recipes for you.
iamu
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Stick a couple of sweet potatoes in the microwave. Add a can of tuna. Done
MAXSTARR
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I heard minesweeping in McDonalds gives you a cheap meal and all the vitamins and minerals you need. On a serious note, just buy lots of potatoes, they'll go with anything
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (489)
80.03%
Leave (122)
19.97%

Watched Threads