The Student Room Group

Do some universities give out too many firsts?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Brit_Miller
I don't disagree, I just thought it was worth noting. There's some very bright people out there who get written off or devalued for going to a lower uni despite being perfectly capable.

I do agree with this. Though they often have other ways of proving themselves (a very high raw mark for one thing).
Original post by russellsteapot
As expected, you're equating good A level performance to actual intelligence rather than quality of education. I'm sure there's a correlation somewhere, but not only do they ask for entirely different abilities, good A levels are heavily reliant on where you go to school and what your parents do.

The fact that someone has 3 A*s then pops out a 2.2 doesn't at all qualify them to be one of the most intelligent people in the country. It shows they were well taught, and then couldn't cope at degree level. It's why people from private schools do significantly worse than state school students with the same A level grades (as I'm sure the Sutton Trust report says somewhere in the small print), because A levels can be spoonfed and degrees cannot.

I'm not sure why people have such difficulty splitting the two levels of qualification.

STEP and the interview go some way to weeding out those who can regurgitate the A-level specification and those with "actual intelligence"

Posted from TSR Mobile
i think that the rising number of firsts is due to students working harder.
This is pretty much what I was going to write.

It's surprising, given the huge difference between A level and degree level, that some people with actual first-hand experience of both still assume that good A levels entitle them to a good degree.

If you get a 2.2 at Cambridge you're not better than someone who got a first from London Met. You're a failure. You probably either wasted your potential or went to a very good school at which everyone got 4 As, and couldn't cope when you had to do things for yourself.

There's absolutely no reason why someone at a lower-ranked university couldn't produce work to the same standard as someone at a high-ranked one. Everyone has access to the same books, journals and research papers for their independent studies, and if you rely solely on lecture/seminar content you probably don't deserve a very good grade anyway.

If you get a 2.2 from Cambridge you must be smart, you would have to be just to avoid failure.
Original post by TolerantBeing
I have 2 friends for example, one that does biochem at a good uni, and one that does a biology type course at a much lower uni. Throughout the years I've heard pieces about their course, and the one who does biochem had such a higher workload, and the work sounded so much more complicated. She is a really bright spark, did really well at A-level and has done well and earned a 2:1. The other friend at the lower uni really struggled with the content of A-level biology, really struggled to pass, and has ended up with a first. Her workload was a hell of a lot lighter and her content much easier than my other friends...

Out of genuine curiosity - When you say they got a first what sort of overall average did they get? What is a close call like 71% or was it firm like 75-80+?
Original post by TolerantBeing
I know this may sound harsh, or bitter or even a little snobby, but I was discussing this with friends yesterday and they seem to agree that lower ranked universities can be just too lenient with handing out Firsts. I'm on my second year after taking a gap year, and so most of my school friends are receiving their final year results around this week or so. And I've been so surprised by the amount of people posting Firsts on Facebook, and they
all go to these lower ranked unis in our area (don't want to name them incase it offends). These people struggled with A-level content and so ended up on courses with really low entry requirements. Yet now I'm seeing that a load of them have ended up with Firsts.

I know it's great that they've done well, but I just feel like whilst they are all having these firsts, my other friends who went to god universities are ending up with 2:1s. Which they are happy with because they know it's a great achievement, but I feel like it's tainted a bit by the amount of people who did less well at A-level, went to a lower uni, and ended up with a better grade. I know obviously those lower universities have to have easier/ lighter workloads considering their lower entry requirements, but I can't help but wonder whether all these people should really have gotten Firsts.

I have 2 friends for example, one that does biochem at a good uni, and one that does a biology type course at a much lower uni. Throughout the years I've heard pieces about their course, and the one who does biochem had such a higher workload, and the work sounded so much more complicated. She is a really bright spark, did really well at A-level and has done well and earned a 2:1. The other friend at the lower uni really struggled with the content of A-level biology, really struggled to pass, and has ended up with a first. Her workload was a hell of a lot lighter and her content much easier than my other friends...

Am I wrong in feeling that it's a bit unfair that the one gets a First just because she didn't do as well at A-level and went to a uni with lower requirements? I know that if she did my other friends course, she would have really struggled.

I just feel like it's a bit of an injustice, I know obviously the course has to be easier for those with lower A-level grades, for if it was the same level of difficulty they'd struggle to have a decent pass rate. But I always feel that sometimes it becomes too easy, and the grades are too lenient.

For a lot of higher ranked unis, a First grade is really exceptional, it means going above and beyond the course, but I'm not sure I get that from the lower unis.

Yes this is a general trend in general the higher ranked the university the harder it is to get a First.almost 100% of the people getting into Cambridge would get a First in an average university because they are the cleverest in the country and the fact that they don't shows how their courses are much harder than average.

I think lower ranked universities have to give out Firsts more leniently because the people applying aren't very clever in general so a lot of them would struggle to even pass the course and higher ranked universities have people applying who are very clever and would probably walk their way to a First at an average university so need to be more intellectually stimulated or they will get bored.The big problem is that employers don't seem to get this and think a First is a First and a 2:1 is a 2:1 and say that applicants must have a 2:1 with no universities specified.There really needs to be some conversion between grades and the university they were achieved at so that the employer can tell what the degree is actually worth in reality a First in a very lowly ranked university shouldn't really be worth much and a First in Russell Group Universities especially Oxbridge should be regarded above all other Firsts.

The big question is then is it actually worth applying for highly ranked universities because you will massively increase the chances of you getting a lower grade, you may even get below a 2:1 and ruin virtually all your chances of being employed in a Graduate-Level Job.However, if you do manage to get a First in a top university then you will have virtually secured yourself a very high earning and prosperous career with big names like Cambridge and Oxford instantly catching the eye of employers and you will have also had a much better education learning your subject in much detail so you should be able to get promoted quickly and move up the ranks in your workplace.
As expected, you're equating good A level performance to actual intelligence rather than quality of education. I'm sure there's a correlation somewhere, but not only do they ask for entirely different abilities, good A levels are heavily reliant on where you go to school and what your parents do.

The fact that someone has 3 A*s then pops out a 2.2 doesn't at all qualify them to be one of the most intelligent people in the country. It shows they were well taught, and then couldn't cope at degree level. It's why people from private schools do significantly worse than state school students with the same A level grades (as I'm sure the Sutton Trust report says somewhere in the small print), because A levels can be spoonfed and degrees cannot.

I'm not sure why people have such difficulty splitting the two levels of qualification.

Try spoon feeding STEP.STEP is exactly the sort of qualification that ensures that people get into Cambridge with actual mathematical talent and not route learning and spoon feeding and similar entrance tests in other subjects do exactly the same thing.
At state schools you are also spoonfed and if people struggle to get good grades at A-Level when they are spoonfed then how are they going to do well without spoon feeding, it is undeniably harder to do well when not spoonfed when you have to self teach the content.The difficulty of the degree increases from a lower ranked university to a higher ranked university otherwise virtually all those applying to a lower ranked university would fail or get 2:2s and virtually all those applying to Cambridge/Oxford would get firsts, these are the most clever, independent people who have been selected based on their ability to not simply be spoonfed through entrance tests.
Original post by Dalek1099
Try spoon feeding STEP.STEP is exactly the sort of qualification that ensures that people get into Cambridge with actual mathematical talent and not route learning and spoon feeding and similar entrance tests in other subjects do exactly the same thing.
At state schools you are also spoonfed and if people struggle to get good grades at A-Level when they are spoonfed then how are they going to do well without spoon feeding, it is undeniably harder to do well when not spoonfed when you have to self teach the content.The difficulty of the degree increases from a lower ranked university to a higher ranked university otherwise virtually all those applying to a lower ranked university would fail or get 2:2s and virtually all those applying to Cambridge/Oxford would get firsts, these are the most clever, independent people who have been selected based on their ability to not simply be spoonfed through entrance tests.

All exams, including STEP can and have been spoonfed to students before. Why do you think that there are tutors out there charging (~£ 100 an hour) to students preparing for STEP. If it were so ludicrous they would not even bother trying, but these tutors have had customers who time and time again have been able to score highly on STEP. There is a method to all exams, and those who know this method score higher than those of the same "ability" or greater "ability" that don't. The only way we can ever know the ability of a student is when they finally do research since that represents more or less their aptitude for a subject. I am of course referring not to vocational subjects but to academic ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by alapa
On average ex-polys give out less firsts then well ranked unis. They award more 2:2s and 3rds. This is because students on average haven't done so well at A Level and are likely to struggle harder at degree level.

To suggest that firsts are easier to obtain, or more are handed out at ex -polys is an obvious fallacy.

It is born out of one thing and one thing only= Students who achieved excellent grades at a level, going to university and realising they aren't in the top tier (1st class) any more. So to make themselves feel a wee bit better they have to say that firsts are handed out to easily at 'lesser' universities.

This is pretty much what I was going to write.

It's surprising, given the huge difference between A level and degree level, that some people with actual first-hand experience of both still assume that good A levels entitle them to a good degree.

If you get a 2.2 at Cambridge you're not better than someone who got a first from London Met. You're a failure. You probably either wasted your potential or went to a very good school at which everyone got 4 As, and couldn't cope when you had to do things for yourself.

There's absolutely no reason why someone at a lower-ranked university couldn't produce work to the same standard as someone at a high-ranked one. Everyone has access to the same books, journals and research papers for their independent studies, and if you rely solely on lecture/seminar content you probably don't deserve a very good grade anyway.

Frankly, both your posts are the epitome of unsubstantiated twitter; by contrast, those who state that Cambridge degrees are much, much harder than London Met degrees have reams of evidence to support that statement.

I would provide that evidence, but I rather doubt you will take any notice of it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by de_monies
You might be surprised to know that a lot of large corpororates look specifically at ex Poly's for IT

I can't say this for all subjects ofc

+1. The team I work with comprises entirely of graduates from Ex-Polys. We had one guy that came from a Russell Group university and he was next to useless - hugely arrogant, had a huge issue with our "inferior" education, and refused to listen to what he was being taught, but as soon as he was put in an environment where he had to engineer a solution, he couldn't apply any of the theory his degree had taught him and didn't have specific skills that we needed from him, because he was a cookie cutter Comp Sci generalist. He had absolutely no business acumen, or other soft skills either.

I'm sure he has a prospective career in academia ahead of him, but he's no consultant. He was sacked after 6 months.
Original post by james22
I'm at Oxford doing maths, and looking at the exam papers from some other universities they are significantly easier. There are people who would fail a maths degree here but get a first at several other places. The 2 degrees just cannot be compared at all.

Oxbridge degrees are certainly harder, but Oxbridge degrees also have increased supervision and help compared to other universities in order to compensate. In lower ranked universities people are expected to be far more independent.
Original post by Dalek1099

You can rote learn how to do STEP as well as degrees.
Original post by Mad Vlad
+1. The team I work with comprises entirely of graduates from Ex-Polys. We had one guy that came from a Russell Group university and he was next to useless - hugely arrogant, had a huge issue with our "inferior" education, and refused to listen to what he was being taught, but as soon as he was put in an environment where he had to engineer a solution, he couldn't apply any of the theory his degree had taught him and didn't have specific skills that we needed from him, because he was a cookie cutter Comp Sci generalist. He had absolutely no business acumen, or other soft skills either.

I'm sure he has a prospective career in academia ahead of him, but he's no consultant. He was sacked after 6 months.

Tbf, looking at that, I think the vast majority of the IT function part of the business didn't go to any red bricks. Certainly every one that I've talked to, has gone to an ex poly, or hasn't gone to uni

Also, it's a pretty dumb move for this Russel Group graduate to comlain about the "inferior education" in a place full of ex polys... Again, it's not even small companies. It's large freaking corporates
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ClickItBack
Frankly, both your posts are the epitome of unsubstantiated twitter; by contrast, those who state that Cambridge degrees are much, much harder than London Met degrees have reams of evidence to support that statement.

I would provide that evidence, but I rather doubt you will take any notice of it.

If you read the post, at no point did I say there's no difference in difficulty/standard between courses. Merely that a 2.2 at Cambridge is not worth more than a first at an ex-Poly. I'm sure there are differences between courses all over the country in all kinds of subjects. Problem is, there isn't actually any evidence to back this up beyond anecdote and assumption, along with big lumps of correlation equalling causation (e.g. the Sutton Trust data). I'd very much welcome actual evidence.

I'm sure that, for example, the mathematics course at Cambridge has more content than others, and their exams are famous for being horrendous experiences. But it also has huge amounts of resources, massive amounts of contact time, levels of support other students can only dream of, and if anyone can muddle through that and still not succeed, I'd be tempted to think they're not as good as their A levels/STEP result suggested. By the same argument, someone at an ex-Poly, with 4 hours' contact time a month and a **** library perhaps has it 'harder'.

Of course, it's quite possible that there are courses at Bristol which are more difficult than their sister courses at LSE or Oxford. Perhaps Brighton has one that's tougher than Bath. Is my York degree any more difficult than a Leeds one? Maybe Robert Gordon has courses with more content than Loughborough. Without an independent assessment of these courses, nobody is in any position to state whether one is 'better', 'harder' or 'softer' than any other. And nobody has done an independent assessment. So anecdote and assumption is all we can really use.

I don't doubt that there's some difference. It's simply false to assume that someone does or does not deserve a particular grade using preconceived ideas about their place of education, when in reality none of us have a clue. Having worked with, and employed, many alumni of many varied institutions, I can say (in my own experience) that there isn't the difference the league tables might tell us between the ability of an ex-poly grad and that of a Russell Group grad. And everywhere produces useful and useless people.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by alapa
On average ex-polys give out less firsts then well ranked unis. They award more 2:2s and 3rds. This is because students on average haven't done so well at A Level and are likely to struggle harder at degree level.

To suggest that firsts are easier to obtain, or more are handed out at ex -polys is an obvious fallacy.

It is born out of one thing and one thing only= Students who achieved excellent grades at a level, going to university and realising they aren't in the top tier (1st class) any more. So to make themselves feel a wee bit better they have to say that firsts are handed out to easily at 'lesser' universities.

Exactly.

These are the complaints of people that went in to the university system and found that they weren't actually as good as they thought they were:

- "why is it fair that graduate employers ask for 2:1s as a filter when a 2:2 from my university is better than a 2:1 from loads of others"

- "why is it fair that arts and science subjects count the same whereas its much easier to get a 1st in an arts subject"

- "why is it fair that we fund ex-polys to do mickey mouse degrees because now there are so many graduates on the market I can't get a job with my degree from a brilliant university, because they are beating me to the grad jobs!"

I've never seen anyone who was actually a top student make these complaints, they just go to their good uni, get a first, get a good job, and focus on their own lives not moaning about fantasy injustices.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Exactly.

These are the complaints of people that went in to the university system and found that they weren't actually as good as they thought they were:

- "why is it fair that graduate employers ask for 2:1s as a filter when a 2:2 from my university is better than a 2:1 from loads of others"

- "why is it fair that arts and science subjects count the same whereas its much easier to get a 1st in an arts subject"

- "why is it fair that we fund ex-polys to do mickey mouse degrees because now there are so many graduates on the market I can't get a job with my degree from a brilliant university, because they are beating me to the grad jobs!"

I've never seen anyone who was actually a top student make these complaints, they just go to their good uni, get a first, get a good job, and focus on their own lives not moaning about fantasy injustices.

So do you feel the Sutton Trust is wrong when it states that its research suggests that it is more difficult to get a First at a university with lots of more able students?

"It suggests that due to the large number of very able students competing for first class honours, it is more difficult to obtain this classification in highly selective universities than in less selective institutions."

http://www.suttontrust.com/public/do...port-final.pdf
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 156
Original post by Freier._.lance
Oxbridge degrees are certainly harder, but Oxbridge degrees also have increased supervision and help compared to other universities in order to compensate. In lower ranked universities people are expected to be far more independent.

It depends what you mean by that - the tutorial system at Oxbridge means that students get a lot less in the way of contact hours, but what contact hours they do get are intensive, individual and flexible to the students' needs. This is only possible because the students are expected to (and are capable of) doing a large amount of the necessary study independently.
(edited 9 years ago)

Cambridge maths asks for 1,1 in STEP, rendering your point rather invalid.

And sorry, but if someone is doing maths at a poor university due to not being able to get good grades in the pretty easy A Levels, then how on earth are they going to get a First at Cambridge, when practically the entire year group has A*A*A* and 1,1 in STEP?

And equally, it's obvious that if you took someone who had got A*A*A* at A Level and 1,1 in STEP, and who got a 2.2 at Cambridge, and dropped them into another university,that they would get higher than a 2.2. The 1,1 in STEP already puts them right up into the very top ability range. STEP III results correlate 0.54 with Cambridge maths tripos results.

Interestingly, while Sutton Trust research (I think it was by them) does support what you say about state/private school and university performance, Cambridge's own research suggests that A Levels are a good predictor of degree success, but which type of school you attend doesn't make a difference.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RichE
It depends what you mean by that - the tutorial system at Oxbridge means that students get a lot less in the way of contact hours, but what contact hours they do get are intensive, individual and flexible to the students' needs. This is only possible because the students are expected to (and capable of) doing a large amount of the necessary study independently.

You mean more right?
Original post by Freier._.lance
You mean more right?

Depends on the university, but my friends at other places get more contact time that I do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending