Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In one year, pending approval, my dad and the rest of my family will be moving from America to England for six months. My dad will be going on sabatical to Cambridge, which means that my sister and I need to find schools in the surrounding area to attend. My sister will be sixteen and I will be seventeen, going on eighteen. I've been doing a lot of research, but am still rather confused about the school system. The two types of schools I've heard the most about are sixth-form and secondary. However, I'm not quite sure what all of the differences are. I was wondering if any of you could provide some insights? I was also wondering if you had any suggestions as to which schools in that area were good schools. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    OK, 6th form is just a generic term for the last two years of secondary schooling, when you're 16-18. Some secondary schools have 6th forms attached, in other places the schools stop at 16 and you have to go to a 6th form college if you want to do A-Levels (the final qualifications you can get at school).

By the sounds of it, your sister will be the right age to be in Lower 6th, or year 12, and you will be upper 6th, or year 13 age. However, as A-level courses last two years, it may not be practical for you to go into the 2nd year of the course and you might have to be in year 12 as well, but that's a matter you'd need to sort out with the schools themselves.

In Cambridge, I don't know much about the schools, but there is at least one 6th form college - Hills Road, which is meant to be good, as well as two private schools with 6th form attached - The Perse school and The Leys School (not sure if those are mixed or not though). There is probably more than that though, but I don't know any more.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    There are a few places offering sixth form (16-19) education:

Abbey College (Private)
    http://www.abbeycolleges.co.uk/

Hills Road (State funded)
    http://www.hrsfc.ac.uk/

Leys School (Private)
    http://www.theleys.cambs.sch.uk/welcome/index.htm

Perse School (Private)
    http://www.perse.co.uk/

Abbey may be able to offer more help in adjusting to education in the UK as they deal with many overseas students. Unfortunately this might come at some cost.

ReputationRep:
    if you are moving to cambrisge and you are 17 you will probably start your first year of sixth form. Hills Road Sixth form college is the best sixth form college in the country, but if you want to go to a private school the Perse and the Leys are also good schools.

ReputationRep:
    What exactly is the difference between state and private?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susurrus_aura)
    State schools/colleges are funded by the government through taxation. Private - well - you pay yourself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susurrus_aura)
    State schools are funded by the government are are often non-selective. Tend to be a bit under-funded.
    Private school are fee-paying schools that do not have to follow the national Curriculum (though they often do). Tend to be a bit snobby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    State schools are funded by the government are are often non-selective. Tend to be a bit under-funded.
    Private school are fee-paying schools that do not have to follow the national Curriculum (though they often do). Tend to be a bit snobby.
    Not going to turn this into an private/state argument but I dont think what you said was particularly fair. Private schools paid for by you, state by government through taxes. Simple as that. Anything else people say is very dependant on the school, you cannot make any general statement about private/state school other than the one i've made above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    Not going to turn this into an private/state argument but I dont think what you said was particularly fair. Private schools paid for by you, state by government through taxes. Simple as that. Anything else people say is very dependant on the school, you cannot make any general statement about private/state school other than the one i've made above.
    I think you can. Note that I said "tend to be".
    There's no denying that state schools are not (or very rarely) as well funded as state schools, and you're never going to find a snobby state school.
    Bear in mind I've been to both, and know a lot of people from each sector.

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.