Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Uhm. Of course, the fact that less than 4% of the population is gay has just slipped apart here. The world has an ever increasing population and the resources are limited. Furthermore, in a population of 6 billion people it is simply not possible for the species to be threatened by homosexuality as evolution would kick in as soon as it became a disadvantage to humans as a species.
    Now when you quote the 4% mark, are you refering to the lesbians as well?

Now, to augment the promescuity of homosexuals and heterosexuals:

"credible research (which may more honestly represent a true cross-section of gay male society) actually reveals that homosexual men and heterosexual men will typically have about the same number of sexual partners during the course of their lives beyond age 20"

--- RE Fay, CF Turner, AD Klassen, JH Gagnon. "Prevalence and patterns of same-gender sexual contact among men" in Science, 1989; 243: 338-48, cited by RC Friedman, JI Downey, in the New England Journal of Medicine 1994; 14: 923-930.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Now when you quote the 4% mark, are you refering to the lesbians as well?

Now, to augment the promescuity of homosexuals and heterosexuals:

"credible research (which may more honestly represent a true cross-section of gay male society) actually reveals that homosexual men and heterosexual men will typically have about the same number of sexual partners during the course of their lives beyond age 20"

--- RE Fay, CF Turner, AD Klassen, JH Gagnon. "Prevalence and patterns of same-gender sexual contact among men" in Science, 1989; 243: 338-48, cited by RC Friedman, JI Downey, in the New England Journal of Medicine 1994; 14: 923-930.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here ...
    But if there are fewer homosexuals then heterosexuals, the same amount of partners equates to the homosexual having had sex with a larger % of "available stock" (so to speak). Therefore, their probability of catching a disease will have increased because there is a smaller pool from which to fish and things are spread easier. Heterosexually, things are more "dilute" so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Invalid conclusion.

The development of such drugs may discourage teh use of a condom, and at the same time the icreased awareness may encourage it. Also, you would be quite amazed to find out what one can do with statistics. The problem is that we here have several groups of people. Those homosexuals who do not have anal sex. Those who do have anal sex. Those who use a condom, and those who do not use a condom. There is no reason why it might not be the case that the number of homosexuals having anal sex has decreased at the same time as more and more homosexuals may have disregarded using a condom.

In order to illustrate how carefull you have to be when drawing conclusions from statistics I like to mention an example from the US. Some time ago A university in California was accused of discrimination when it turned out that the acceptance rate for wommen was lower than the acceptance rate for men. However, when one were to implement means to counter this, it was found to be an impossible task because in each and every department the acceptance rate of wommen was greater than the acceptance rate for men. It turned out that the wommen applied to more difficult courses and thus had higher rejection rates. The moral of this story, dont draw conclusions from statistics alone.
    Oh really? So why is 2776's survey the truth and mine's just a load of ****? As we both just cut and pasted our surveys and as you are not personally an expert on gay sex how in God's name can you so arrogantly dismiss one survey and accept another?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I'm going to play devil's advocate here ...
    But if there are fewer homosexuals then heterosexuals, the same amount of partners equates to the homosexual having had sex with a larger % of "available stock" (so to speak). Therefore, their probability of catching a disease will have increased because there is a smaller pool from which to fish and things are spread easier. Heterosexually, things are more "dilute" so to speak.
    Yes, they will be diluted. But my original point was, that we can't ignore heterosexuality transmission of HIV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Yes, they will be diluted. But my original point was, that we can't ignore heterosexuality transmission of HIV.
    Of course we can't.

ReputationRep:
    Of course we can't.
    Yet, obviously people have been doing it.

Of course it is my problem as well, I used the numbers argument. But that just led to Blissy's route of proportions and statistics. And masked the original point I was trying to make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)

Of course it is my problem as well, I used the numbers argument. But that just led to Blissy's route of proportions and statistics. And masked the original point I was trying to make.
    What was it again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I'm surprized PK even advanced such a daft notion :rolleyes:
    As for protection in anal sex, there's: avoidance, condom, lubricants and jellies, some drugs (such as relaxants), and technique education.

About a third of gay couple don't practice anal sex. Interestingly a third of heterosexual couples do practice anal sex. So whatever you think of anal sex, its a gay and straight thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    As for protection in anal sex, there's: avoidance, condom, lubricants and jellies, some drugs (such as relaxants), and technique education.

About a third of gay couple don't practice anal sex. Interestingly a third of heterosexual couples do practice anal sex. So whatever you think of anal sex, its a gay and straight thing.
    <sniggers>

You said that there were other ways to protect yourself (other than using condoms) while having anal sex! And what do you come up with?

Avoidance? Doesn't that mean.......erm........not having anal sex? :rolleyes:

Condom? Erm.........a condom isn't an alternative to a condom PK :rolleyes:

Lubricants and jellies? WTF? Lubricants help your **** slide in a tight spot old chap. And jellies.........well........they 'tre are eaten with icecream. How do they prevent the transmission of diseases? :confused:

Technique? So if you do it doggy style you're at a less risk than if you go for the boring old missionary position? :rolleyes:

Good God PK! I admire you bravery, I truly do. But this really is the pits. It's so bad I'm going to give you some pos rep as you really made me laugh.

And can you please source your "1/3 of heterosexual couples practice anal sex" statement because I think you just made it up for a laugh!

ReputationRep:
    A third of heterosexuals don't practice anal sex. A third of heterosexual couples may have HAD anal sex, but that could mean only once....

A third of heterosexuals don't practice anal sex. A third of heterosexual couples may have HAD anal sex, but that could mean only once....
    I would estimate that for many hetrosexual couples it has happened at least once by accident.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanctus)
    I would estimate that for many hetrosexual couples it has happened at least once by accident.
    LOL. As a woman, I would contend that. But LOL anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Thats true. I was just illustrating the point that anal sex is not just a gay thing.

ReputationRep:
    Thats true. I was just illustrating the point that anal sex is not just a gay thing.
    And making up silly statistics to do so.

ReputationRep:
    It's been illustrated and duly acknowledged (with provisos) many times during this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Lubricants and jellies? WTF? Lubricants help your **** slide in a tight spot old chap. And jellies.........well........they 'tre are eaten with icecream. How do they prevent the transmission of diseases? :confused:
    It reduces bleeding, tearing of skin etc which increase risk of transmission.

Technique? So if you do it doggy style you're at a less risk than if you go for the boring old missionary position? :rolleyes:
    Technique to reduce abrasions etc..., again to reduce bleeding...

And can you please source your "1/3 of heterosexual couples practice anal sex" statement because I think you just made it up for a laugh!
    No I didn't make it up, can't remeber where i heard it tho. The actual % don't matter; the point is that gay and straight pple do it.

ReputationRep:
    And making up silly statistics to do so.
    With respect I don't call ur stats silly; maybe inside your interpretation tho lol. If you don't like them no probs .

ReputationRep:

No I didn't make it up, can't remeber where i heard it tho. The actual % don't matter; the point is that gay and straight pple do it.

WE KNOW FFS! Please also note that heterosexuals will probably have vaginal to anal sex in the ration 9:1. Max. More like 100:1 for a lot of the couples that come under the bracket of this "third"

ReputationRep:
    WE KNOW FFS! Please also note that heterosexuals will probably have vaginal to anal sex in the ration 9:1. Max. More like 100:1 for a lot of the couples that come under the bracket of this "third"
    Yeh I know, and you know, but there's still a few that don't!

ReputationRep:
    With respect I don't call ur stats silly; maybe inside your interpretation tho lol. If you don't like them no probs .
    But you just admitted that your stats were completely groundless. At least I cite a reference to mine. That's the difference.

Can we have some more of your anal protection recommendations please? I havn't quite finished drying my eyes after your last attempt but there's still time for one more Herculian effort! Oh go on......you know you want to!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.