Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Please bono, this is a serious debating thread. Do not contamiate it with this "general chat". You have been warned.
    Sorry. I did reply btw to your post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    "I didn't say anything about sucide, she doesn't want it full stop. This situation breaks down the naieve moral axiom which you have built yourself upon." - How exactly? If there is not a substantial risk of her committing suicide, or even depression which will lead to reduced life-span, then I don't see why an abortion shouldn't occur.

The providing that there isn't a risk in them preventing the death does not let your arguments brake the moral axiom.

"Lesser of 2 evils? Meaning people still dying, thats not "prevention of deaths."" - But if people followed the moral that I said should be enforced, then there would be no need to go to war to prevent deaths, would there? This is my point, if people like you say "who are we to judge" then this starts to brake down the moral responsibility that somebody has in society.

You can't say that my opinion that one should have this moral responsibility is wrong.
    This shall be my last post on the matter. If theres anything more, I shall see about it tommorow.

1. You may not see an abortion may occur, the woman does. You have misunderstood my posts again.

What I mean is:

Woman pregnant, want to abort, foetus is "alive", no viable reason to do so apart from the usual no money etc etc speel, under your options, she does not have a choice. She is not mentally anguished etc. She will go bacstreet if the abortion is denied through "morality". She then has a high chance of dying.

2. You are assuming a "perfect" society for your morality to work. And how can you morality be "enforced" if it isn't through law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    This shall be my last post on the matter. If theres anything more, I shall see about it tommorow.

1. You may not see an abortion may occur, the woman does. You have misunderstood my posts again.

What I mean is:

Woman pregnant, want to abort, foetus is "alive", no viable reason to do so apart from the usual no money etc etc speel, under your options, she does not have a choice. She is not mentally anguished etc. She will go bacstreet if the abortion is denied through "morality". She then has a high chance of dying.

2. You are assuming a "perfect" society for your morality to work. And how can you morality be "enforced" if it isn't through law?
    I think you misunderstood my posts as well. I am saying that every member of society should have this moral responsibility in my opinion. If everyone did, then unecessary deaths would be prevented. This also goes for the dodgy people who organise back street clinics. They wouldn't be following this moral code that IMO every member of society should implement.

Of course this diesn't happen in real life, real life is corrupt and morally wrong in so many cases. That's hardly a matter for discussion.

"How can't it be enforced not through law" - It wouldn't need to be if everyone followed this moral responsibility which IMO one should and must implement. You said that we shouldn't impose this. I disagree. (clearly).

Anyways, good night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    I think you misunderstood my posts as well. I am saying that every member of society should have this moral responsibility in my opinion. If everyone did, then unecessary deaths would be prevented. This also goes for the dodgy people who organise back street clinics. They wouldn't be following this moral code that IMO every member of society should implement.

Of course this diesn't happen in real life, real life is corrupt and morally wrong in so many cases. That's hardly a matter for discussion.

Anyway,s good night.
    Exactly, this VITAL point should have been brought up. You are assuming that everyone is perfect morally. I was referring to teh real world.

This as you know is impossible.

Debate ends:

The moral aspect is impossible in the current world
    But a hypothetical situation is possible.

But then a perfect situation is too convient is it not? Everyone would be equal, utopia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Exactly, this VITAL point should have been brought up. You are assuming that everyone is perfect morally. I was referring to teh real world.

This as you know is impossible.

Debate ends:

The moral aspect is impossible in the current world
    But a hypothetical situation is possible.

But then a perfect situation is too convient is it not? Everyone would be equal, utopia.
    What do you mean?

Of course it doesn't happen in the real world.

I said it should happen, that was my point. I said that it should be a person's moral responsibility.

You said that it shouldn't, in that we shouldn't impose this on them and that if a person takes a risk, so be it.

Of course this doesn't happen in the real world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    I said it should happen, that was my point. I said that it should be a person's moral responsibility.

You said that it shouldn't, in that we shouldn't impose this on them and that if a person takes a risk, so be it.
    Of course people *should* bear moral responsibility, but your naieve thinking only works in utopia. Like I said before.

But I was referring to the real world issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    It's something that I've been pondering for a while now...
    Why do some people have a problem with homosexuals? Surely if two people are in a loving relationship it shouldn't matter whether they are of a different sex or not... Some may say they like lesbians... I know a fair few males that do... So what's the problem with gay men? :confused:

Any thoughts on this welcome!
    There is no problem with it. It shouldn't even be an issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    There is no problem with it. It shouldn't even be an issue.
    Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Exactly.
    Thank you. It makes me so angry when people are so narrow minded and shallow that they degrade group of people in society. It boils down to the fact that they are simply uneducated.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. It makes me so angry when people are so narrow minded and shallow that they degrade group of people in society. It boils down to the fact that they are simply uneducated.
    or misguided or thick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    or misguided or thick
    So true.

ReputationRep:
    Dear Lord, I thought this thread was dead and buried.... Obviously not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    Dear Lord, I thought this thread was dead and buried.... Obviously not!
    Nope ....these theads are like Victoria Beckhams music singles they never stop, and when you think its safe theres further input to the theads and Victoria goes and releases another song.

ReputationRep:
    Nope ....these theads are like Victoria Beckhams music singles they never stop, and when you think its safe theres further input to the theads and Victoria goes and releases another song.
    There's a difference though, I like a good debate, but I don't like Victoria Beckham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    There's a difference though, I like a good debate, but I don't like Victoria Beckham
    I agree. So start a new debate and we'll all discuss.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. So start a new debate and we'll all discuss.
    On the comparison of a good debate and Victoria Beckham? I think I'll let you do the honours :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    On the comparison of a good debate and Victoria Beckham? I think I'll let you do the honours :rolleyes:
    oooh. I'll pass. Not good at that sort of thing. I like to join in and provide input to the conversation.

ReputationRep:
    oooh. I'll pass. Not good at that sort of thing. I like to join in and provide input to the conversation.
    Ah well, I suppose it will have to wait until someone more worthy comes along

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    Ah well, I suppose it will have to wait until someone more worthy comes along
    Get it together. I am worthy.

ReputationRep:
    Get it together. I am worthy.
    Oh... I do apologise

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.