Nadine_08
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Do you think Melas(Sikh festivals) are more important than Gurpurbs(birth and death anniversaries of Gurus)? (4)
Explain the importance of Nit Nem.(8)
Should all Sikhs visit Amritsar? Why, why not?(6)
Do you think the Amrit ceremony is still important today?(4)
Explain the importance of Langar.(8)
Is Diwali just a reinvented Hindu festival? Why, why not?(6)
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Nadine_08)
Do you think Melas(Sikh festivals) are more important than Gurpurbs(birth and death anniversaries of Gurus)? (4)
Heya, I'm going to put this in the Philosophy, religious studies and theology forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=133
Everglow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Nadine_08)
As far as the Langar is concerned, it's central to the community aspect of Sikhism. The Langar serves food to anyone, reglardless of their wealth, gender, race or status. This reflects the rejection of the Hindu caste system in Sikhism and shows the Sikhi belief that everyone is equal and a part of God's divine will, Hukam. So, in this sense the Langar helps to spread equality and love to the community.

To serve food in the Langar also counters some of the five vices (lust, anger, greed, attachment and ego). For example, one turns away from greed and ego by serving others generously in the Langar. And the more we turn away from the vices towards virtues like community, love and ablution, the further we come towards fulfilling God's will and purifying our soul so that we can achieve Mukti (liberation from the cycle of birth and death) and consequently Sach Khand where we are one with God once again.

"When the body is filled with ego and selfishness, the cycle of birth and death does not end" (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 126).

The Langar is ultimately important because it is one activity that helps us to become one with God again, which is the ultimate goal of Sikhism. We turn away from ego and selfishness and towards selflessness and love.

I don't feel qualified to answer the other questions because I have only researched certain areas of Sikhism as a contrast point to Christianity in my A-Level Religious Studies. I hope this helped anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (44)
36.97%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (12)
10.08%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.2%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
24.37%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (19)
15.97%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.4%

Watched Threads