Abstain (3)
9.38%
This discussion is closed.
Faland
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
VM257 - Motion on Weekly Refuse Collections, TSR GovernmentThis House disagrees with the decision of many councils to stop providing weekly refuse collections. It feels these are vital on public health grounds, particularly during a hot summer.
Will95206
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nay, while I agree with the statements intent I will be supporting the contrary. It is up to the local council, where people might only need it doing fortnightly per se. But the govt should not be forcing local councils into this of action. It is undemocratic and undermines councils authority and legitimacy to make autonomous decisions.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Will95206)
Nay, while I agree with the statements intent I will be supporting the contrary. It is up to the local council, where people might only need it doing fortnightly per se. But the govt should not be forcing local councils into this of action. It is undemocratic and undermines councils authority and legitimacy to make autonomous decisions.
There's no forcing involved, it only disagrees with their decision. That's the reason this is a motion and not a bill.
Mechie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This isn't a public poll.
Lipvig
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Abstained

Whilst I can see the argument in favour of this motion, we should remember that not everyone will need it and that local authorities must maintain some rights.
Will95206
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
There's no forcing involved, it only disagrees with their decision. That's the reason this is a motion and not a bill.
But through disagreeing and condemning their decision not to do weekly collections as well as endorsing every week collections this is effectively making them doing weekly ones thus undermining their integrity as the legitimacy local authority.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
'Nay'.

As much as i support weekly collections, this is an issue for local councils.
maddo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Will95206)
But through disagreeing and condemning their decision not to do weekly collections as well as endorsing every week collections this is effectively making them doing weekly ones thus undermining their integrity as the legitimacy local authority.
I agree, but I also feel that, as a matter of public health, the government are entitled to show councils where they stand, as a firm reminder that they cannot let standards slip. I therefore vote 'aye'.
bun
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Another (this time motion) for the sake of a motion from the Government. Leave these decisions up to local councils.
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because this isn't a public poll, I have voted Yes.
Cryptographic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by meenu89)
Because this isn't a public poll, I have voted Yes.
(Original post by Faland)
QFA
4th time lucky?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nope. I don't think weekly collections are always going to be necesary. Councils are stretched quite thin and I don't think this should be their big priority. As long as it's done fortnightly, I'm happy.
nikkoch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Abstain. I think it could change from weekly to fortnightly depending on the seasons perhaps?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Faland
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The Ayes to the right: 19
The Noes to the left: 10
Abstentions: 3

The Ayes have it, the Ayes have it. Unlock.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
28.42%
No - I got the required grades (108)
59.02%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.57%

Watched Threads