How can I learn arabic? Watch

guccilittlepiggy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
first of all sorry if this is the wrong place but i thought you lot may know.

I want to learn Arabic part time (as i'm working full time soon) it will have to be in the evenings. does anyone know anywhere in Manchester where I can do this, which takes begginers? I've looked on google but its hard to find any independent advice about how best to do it.

Also, having never studied a language before how difficult will it be and if i did a day or two a week for six months then how fluent would I be?

any advice would be appreciated
rockthecasbah
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by guccilittlepiggy)
first of all sorry if this is the wrong place but i thought you lot may know.

I want to learn Arabic part time (as i'm working full time soon) it will have to be in the evenings. does anyone know anywhere in Manchester where I can do this, which takes begginers? I've looked on google but its hard to find any independent advice about how best to do it.

Also, having never studied a language before how difficult will it be and if i did a day or two a week for six months then how fluent would I be?

Do you live near the University of Manchester? Because I'm sure they have a language centre which offer evening classes- most universities do.

Link: http://www.langcent.manchester.ac.uk...ourses/arabic/
guccilittlepiggy
Rep:
?
do you not need to be a manchester uni student?
gaijin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Members of the public can join the courses through the Certificate of HE in Applied Language Studies only.
You could try;

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/EDUCATI...ourses2006.pdf
http://www.ccm.ac.uk/courses/ccm_gat...asp?NavID=1490

Has some night classes in Arabic.
guccilittlepiggy
Rep:
?
^^ thankyou so much .

the ccm looks great
peacewings
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
I did it for 6 months and I'm not fluent (in fact I've forgotten it all) Think about how long GCSEs take....

Good luck though. I'm doing Arabic as a LFA course at Uni.
nikki
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by peacewings)
I did it for 6 months and I'm not fluent (in fact I've forgotten it all) Think about how long GCSEs take....
It all depends on how much they teach you, how well they teach you and whether you continue to use the language outside of the course. It's possible to do a GCSE in European langauges in a year (with non-European languages, it's probably not very easy), my college teaches Italian from scratch to GCSE (level 2, see http://www.edexcel.org.uk/quals/nqf-grid/) in a year. On the other hand, I did a course in Japanese that took a year to do entry level.
b9muslove
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by guccilittlepiggy)

Yeahh i've been brought up speaking Arabic for about 10 years or so now, and i'm pretty fluent. But there is still a lot of Arabic after 10 years that i struggle to comprehend. But learning languages becomes easier once you're fluent in more than one
cj9900
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
i've been doing Arabic since year 7 purly cos I Live in an Arab Country it helps if you go 2 an arab country to learn the language
Da Bachtopus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Find a good starter textbook, and a dictionary, and use those by yourself as well as going to some sort of nightclass. A day or two a week for 6 months will make a start, but not get you fluent or to GCSE standard (which is significantly below even reading-level fluency). Depending on how much time you have, you'd do better working a little bit each day rather than in one or two big blocks. If you could manage a half hour each day (even allowing for a couple of missed days each week) you'd progress much faster than just doing it, say, at the weekend. An hour would be better, anything more than two hours would be a waste of time as it doesn't stick as well.

Also: learn to type in Arabic. This will be a ***** at first but will then allow you to use the computer to check constructions, chat with people, &c. I also recommend using flashcard software for learning vocabulary, so obviously learning to type there is a must.

Good luck! You'll have to put up with slow progress at first, but steadily working on languages, rather than cramming, is the best approach. You just need to be disciplined.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (49)
29.34%
No - I got the required grades (97)
58.08%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (21)
12.57%

Watched Threads