The Student Room Group

Create a sub forum for the 'Ask Me Anything' threads

There is one for games, don't see why there shouldn't be one for these.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep. They clutter up chat. Gets on my nerves.
Original post by 8472
Yep. They clutter up chat. Gets on my nerves.

Thanks for the support. Mods/admin - would like your opinions please.
I'm more concerned with the epidemic levels of sheer laziness demonstrated by so many people that dump their threads in Chat because they can't be arsed to find the right forum.

Chat is the right place for AMA threads. I don't think there's a big enough demand to warrant a dedicated subforum, but this is the Community Section's call.
Original post by Mad Vlad
Chat is the right place for AMA threads. I don't think there's a big enough demand to warrant a dedicated subforum, but this is the Community Section's call.

What about the posters who contribute to this website who frequent the Chat forum?

I'm sure if this was put to a vote the vast majority would want these threads moved into a separate sub forum. It's a ball ache sifting through them.

I've suggested it before in Chat and everybody seemed to be behind the idea.
Original post by Wilfred Little
What about the posters who contribute to this website who frequent the Chat forum?

I'm sure if this was put to a vote the vast majority would want these threads moved into a separate sub forum. It's a ball ache sifting through them.

I've suggested it before in Chat and everybody seemed to be behind the idea.

I think you're mistaking TSR for a tinpot agrarian commune.

The mods and community team make decisions on this sort of thing based on considerable experience, planning and hard data, not whether a few people think that it sounds like a good idea. :fyi:

I know that this is something that has been previously looked at.
In fact, just to characterise this issue with some hard data, there were 3 AMA threads in Chat in the last 24 hours. That's nowhere near enough to warrant its own subforum, in my opinion.
lol, OK, well I have nothing more to say so I will leave it with you Vladimir.

In fact, just to characterise this issue with some hard data, there were 3 AMA threads in Chat in the last 24 hours. That's nowhere near enough to warrant its own subforum, in my opinion.

& the last month?
Original post by Wilfred Little
lol, OK, well I have nothing more to say so I will leave it with you Vladimir.

& the last month?

AMAs are fun. You're such a grinch. Why don't you make one?
Original post by Cloud nine.
AMAs are fun.

I didn't suggest banning them m8.
Original post by Cloud nine.
AMAs are fun.

no
There was 1 interesting user AMA from a convicted hacker ages ago.

The rest were all fairly boring.

The third year drop-out was a good one but could have been more interesting somewhere on the forum as people nervous about going to uni then dropping out etc may not ahve seen it here.
Reply 12
Original post by Motorbiker

The third year drop-out was a good one but could have been more interesting somewhere on the forum as people nervous about going to uni then dropping out etc may not ahve seen it here.

That one was really interesting.

The ones like "I had chicken for dinner, ask me anything" or any mundane **** like that are just dull.
Original post by alow
That one was really interesting.

The ones like "I had chicken for dinner, ask me anything" or any mundane **** like that are just dull.

Yea, most people are fairly boring semi-nerdy students who've lived a very similar life to the other boring students on here around the same age.

Even the people with interesting things to say don't mention them in the title so no-one knows.

It used to be fairly cool when TSR got actual celebrities on here for AMA sometimes. But in reality it's just a poor imitation of reddit most of the time. (Although i did enjoy the Peter James one, think i asked like 3 or 4 questions)

I did mine mainly to help prospective zoology students but put it in chat because I didn't mind people asking other stuff
Original post by redferry
I did mine mainly to help prospective zoology students but put it in chat because I didn't mind people asking other stuff

Tbh i had no idea you'd done one. I don't claim to have read all of them in detail.

To really help zoology students i'd go answer their actual questions in the correct forum.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=631

(from a quick scan i see you are there as well)
Tbh i had no idea you'd done one. I don't claim to have read all of them in detail.

To really help zoology students i'd go answer their actual questions in the correct forum.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=631

(from a quick scan i see you are there as well)

I do...

Those forums are really dead though. I thought it would be better placed and also might help shed some light on the degree.
The problem as Vlad has said is that you need to be able to justify creating a new sub forum. Although there was a peak in AMA threads, the problem that you now have is that creating a new forum at this stage can:

1. cause users to get confused and give more moving work to the chat mods as there will be stuff that shouldn't be in there and vice versa
2. actually have a low traffic rate
No this is the most stupid idea since hitler attacks the russians
Original post by Mad Vlad
I don't think there's a big enough demand to warrant a dedicated subforum, but this is the Community Section's call.

This.

The TSR community mod team looked into this when they first started appearing and decided that even then there wasn't enough to warrant giving them their own sub forum. Benefits did not outweigh problems, some of which slowbro has outlined above.

Quick Reply

Latest