The Student Room Group

differences between master's degree and postgraduate diploma

Can someone please tell me the differences between master's degree and postgraduate diploma? I know everything about the credits but do they have the same importance?
Hi there,

well, the difference is that the Master's degree involves a dissertation, i.e. it proves that you can carry out a sizeable, independent piece of research and demonstrates academic aptitude. A postgraduate diploma has all of the elements of a Master's degree with the exception of the dissertation, i.e. you are taught specific subjects and you demonstrate knowledge via shorter essays or exams, but there is no research nor a single substantial academic piece of work involved.

With regard to importance, it depends purely on what you want to do with your qualification. If it is simply to increase employment chances in almost any given industry, it is likely that the postgraduate diploma will be more than sufficient - unless research is part of the job.

Also, in really high-flying careers people usually do get a master's somewhere along the way.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Yellow 03
Hi there,
well, the difference is that the Master's degree involves a dissertation, i.e. it proves that you can carry out a sizeable, independent piece of research and demonstrates academic aptitude. A postgraduate diploma has all of the elements of a Master's degree with the exception of the dissertation, i.e. you are taught specific subjects and you demonstrate knowledge via shorter essays or exams, but there is no research nor a single substantial academic piece of work involved.

this is right but something worth pointing out is that there are standalone PGDips and instances where this is the consolation awarded to a masters candidate who passes all assessment elements except the dissertation, which is failed. "You can resubmit [the thesis] or can graduate with the diploma..."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending