The Student Room Group

how to revise at A-levels help!

People say the jump from GCSEs to A levels is massive, so are revisions cards and looking over your books not enough anymore?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherrypiez
People say the jump from GCSEs to A levels is massive, so are revisions cards and looking over your books not enough anymore?

Well Id advise actively revising, making notes whatever floats your boat. Flashcards definitely still have a place at A-level though, in fact I find them more useful now because they're a good way to condense large bits of information into smaller chunks. All the past papers you can manage are also EXTREMELY helpful. But what worked for you at GCSE should be ok at A-level so long as you give yourself more time/understand the concepts.
Reply 2
Varies from subjects to subjects.

Obviously flash cards are kind of ineffective in subjects like maths, whereas flashcards are much more helpful in essay subjects.
Revise with whatever method you feel works. Personally, I just revised by watching videos on YouTube and doing past papers.

You can never go wrong with practicing past papers.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Revise with whatever method you feel works. Personally, I just revised by watching videos on YouTube and doing past papers.

You can never go wrong with practicing past papers.

Yes you can, as if you haven't revised with textbooks and revision aids, you'll never do well in a past paper because you won't know any of the content.
Original post by Groundearth
Yes you can, as if you haven't revised with textbooks and revision aids, you'll never do well in a past paper because you won't know any of the content.

Oh, I didn't realise you knew my life better than me.
Oh, I didn't realise you knew my life better than me.

I didn't realise that you could not do any work at all and get 100% on any past paper you like.
I didn't realise that you could not do any work at all and get 100% on any past paper you like.

Oh.. well now you've realised :biggrin:

Spoiler

Oh.. well now you've realised :biggrin:

Spoiler

So you can work at school, not revise at all at home, and get 100% in any past paper you like? Why aren't your grades better if this is the case?
What subjects are you doing/plan to do?
Just learn everything. You'll get A*'s but that takes dedication. If not, cram everything 3 beginning months before exams and you'll still get A's. Those that do badly are either lazy or to put it blunt, plain stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you can work at school, not revise at all at home, and get 100% in any past paper you like? Why aren't your grades better if this is the case?

I don't know where you got not revising from? I'd advise you re-read my first post.
I don't know where you got not revising from? I'd advise you re-read my first post.

Revision doesn't count as 'watching Youtube videos' and doing past papers. Pick up a book sometime, maybe?
Revision doesn't count as 'watching Youtube videos' and doing past papers. Pick up a book sometime, maybe?

Thank you for the advice sir, although admittedly I've finished my A-levels. I'll definitely take that on board for university. :biggrin:

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you for the advice sir, although admittedly I've finished my A-levels. I'll definitely take that on board for university. :biggrin:

If you'd have realised sooner, your grades would have been better.
Original post by Arieisit
Just learn everything. You'll get A*'s but that takes dedication. If not, cram everything 3 beginning months before exams and you'll still get A's. Those that do badly are either lazy or to put it blunt, plain stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rofl: that is harsh XD.
If you'd have realised sooner, your grades would have been better.

Aww.. dammit man, I'm forever destined to failure :frown:

You are just im so academic mk II. Can I have some advice on applying to Oxbridge lololol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aww.. dammit man, I'm forever destined to failure :frown:

So true.
Original post by addylad
You are just im so academic mk II. Can I have some advice on applying to Oxbridge lololol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ISA ftw. Oxbridge is too difficult for us commoners, we need to re-apply to primary school and get 100% on our KS1 exams.

Quick Reply

Latest