Econometrics books for an A level student Watch

dbrashaw
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have just finished my AS courses, moving on to A2 and am writing my personal statement. I want to study economics at uni and econometrics seems to be a large part of many economics courses. I was wondering if there are any books on econometrics that can be understood by someone with an AS understanding of economics as econometrics is not part of the A level course.
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dbrashaw)
I have just finished my AS courses, moving on to A2 and am writing my personal statement. I want to study economics at uni and econometrics seems to be a large part of many economics courses. I was wondering if there are any books on econometrics that can be understood by someone with an AS understanding of economics as econometrics is not part of the A level course.
Heya, I'm going to put this in the Economics forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=884
Herpiethetroll
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Econometrics is hell.

I did a masters in finance and econometrics. It is unbelievably hard and boring.

For the love of god, don't do econometrics.
Herpiethetroll
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you want an econometrics book....

look up Greene.
Herpiethetroll
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
William H Greene is apparently the god of econometrics

You'll get sick of looking at

(X'X)^-1 X'Y
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Dougherty is really clear and covers all the main concepts well. It's a bit expensive though, although you can get used ones on the amazon marketplace at reasonable prices.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction.../dp/0199567085

This book is fun and gives a lot of real world examples and covers the behavioural economics type questions as well, so it gives you a lot of insight into how things like econometrics are used in modern economic thinking.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mostly-Harml.../dp/0691120358
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dbrashaw)
That's probably way too advanced for A level. You need a strong grounding in statistics and economics before venturing onto econometrics (at Cambridge, it isn't seen until year 2). I would recommend 'simpler' areas of economics like development
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mike_123)
That's probably way too advanced for A level. You need a strong grounding in statistics and economics before venturing onto econometrics (at Cambridge, it isn't seen until year 2). I would recommend 'simpler' areas of economics like development
I thought that too and it's worth mentioning it to OP. However, if OP is just following a genuine interest and wants to know more for their own personal satisfaction, it was a worthwhile thread.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (68)
9.91%
No I am happy with my course choice (390)
56.85%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (97)
14.14%

Watched Threads