The Student Room Group

Dentistry

Scroll to see replies

Im looking to apply for dentistry too, but I'm under the same problem, i don't know if i will get in academically wise, although i have done nearly everything i can before applying in october. Here is most of what I've done:
· GCSE results = 7As, 4Bs and 1C.
· AS results =waiting
· A level predicted =probably AAA
· A level achieved =
· Average UKCAT score =currently studying for
· Work experience = One week at Newcastle Dental Hospital; one week at Hebburn Dental Practice; one week at Jarrow Dental Lab; one week at South Shields Hospital; one week at St. Bede’s Primary School in South Shields; work every Saturday for 8 hours since September 2013 in Neil Pharmacy as a medicines counter assistant.
· GCSE Art (grade A), showing manual dexterity skills.
· Volunteered to help out at a local football club (Hebburn Town Juniors) as a coach’s assistant for a season.
· Worked in a Pharmacy every Saturday since September 2013, showing how I can handle a fast paced working environment requiring teamwork and organisation skills.
· Qualification as a medicines counter assistant.
· Did a ‘clean up project’ on an allotment that had been burnt down in October 2013.
· Participated in a ‘Christmas Jumper Day’ to raise money for Advent Alms.
· Boxing day dip 2013.
· Attended a Discovery Day at Newcastle University for Dentistry on 9th March 2013.
· Completed a future learn course for ‘Discover Dentistry’ from the University of Sheffield achieving 92%
· Year 7 tutor lead buddy for the entire of year 12 (leadership skills)
· KS3 Maths class peer mentor.
· Level 1 and 2 sports leader qualification including First Aid Badge
· Run school fair trade shop.
· Run tea & toast school shop
· School car wash every Friday during study periods.
· Geography sixth form prefect.
· Went to Sitiyweni in South Africa for 18 days in June 2014, a big project to help a poor community and school build a new playground and better a living environment. All the money needed I raised by various activities such as hosting a race night, and some of what I raised I gave to charity (needed to work as a team in the small group that went to raise money and plan the project, as well of needing to have great organisation skills).
· ‘Bitesize Uni’ at Newcastle Uni from 15th-18th July 2014. Had 3 taster sessions and 3 HE information sessions, giving me a taste of what Uni life is really like.
Original post by matthewames97
Im looking to apply for dentistry too, but I'm under the same problem, i don't know if i will get in academically wise, although i have done nearly everything i can before applying in october. Here is most of what I've done:
· AS results =waiting
· A level achieved =
· Work experience = One week at Newcastle Dental Hospital; one week at Hebburn Dental Practice; one week at Jarrow Dental Lab; one week at South Shields Hospital; one week at St. Bede’s Primary School in South Shields; work every Saturday for 8 hours since September 2013 in Neil Pharmacy as a medicines counter assistant.
· Volunteered to help out at a local football club (Hebburn Town Juniors) as a coach’s assistant for a season.
· Worked in a Pharmacy every Saturday since September 2013, showing how I can handle a fast paced working environment requiring teamwork and organisation skills.
· Did a ‘clean up project’ on an allotment that had been burnt down in October 2013.
· Boxing day dip 2013.
· Attended a Discovery Day at Newcastle University for Dentistry on 9th March 2013.
· Completed a future learn course for ‘Discover Dentistry’ from the University of Sheffield achieving 92%
· Went to Sitiyweni in South Africa for 18 days in June 2014, a big project to help a poor community and school build a new playground and better a living environment. All the money needed I raised by various activities such as hosting a race night, and some of what I raised I gave to charity (needed to work as a team in the small group that went to raise money and plan the project, as well of needing to have great organisation skills).
· ‘Bitesize Uni’ at Newcastle Uni from 15th-18th July 2014. Had 3 taster sessions and 3 HE information sessions, giving me a taste of what Uni life is really like.

If you get the grades as well, you're sailing into the top uni for dent...I think! I'm no where near your position in terms of experience, in Watford, there's only one major hospital and they stopped offering work experience, and the dental places either say no or never get back to me! You'll definitely get in bro, I'm sure of it. Me on the other hand...hahaha
Original post by mrchemistry
If you get the grades as well, you're sailing into the top uni for dent...I think! I'm no where near your position in terms of experience, in Watford, there's only one major hospital and they stopped offering work experience, and the dental places either say no or never get back to me! You'll definitely get in bro, I'm sure of it. Me on the other hand...hahaha

Well thats some reassurance! thanks, but yeah I'll get at least ABBB i think but just hoping they see my determination as I'm going to work so hard next year in A2!! but just try labs and general practices then? and I've read on some unis where its said looks good if applicants haven't been able to get experience so travelled to find some
· AS results =waiting
· A level achieved =
· Boxing day dip 2013.

Well thats some reassurance! thanks, but yeah I'll get at least ABBB i think but just hoping they see my determination as I'm going to work so hard next year in A2!! but just try labs and general practices then? and I've read on some unis where its said looks good if applicants haven't been able to get experience so travelled to find some

I can see from your posts that you are really committed to Dentistry and hope that you secure interviews. It’s good that you have got sound work experience and its clear that you are a caring individual and team player.

You are probably aware that the one weakness in your application is your academics. Most candidates far exceed the minimum GCSE requirements. Admissions officers will want to see that you are capable of achieving the standard offer of AAA at A2 and are ready for the academic challenges of the course. I know that you are really committed to working hard to get the grades BUT you suggest that you may get as low as ABBB at AS level….. this may not give the admissions officers confidence that you will attain the required grades, especially as A2 is a "step up".
It is therefore really important to get your teachers onside so that they give you a fab reference and formally predict AAA. My advice to you is to concentrate on the UKCAT, then if your AS level results are disappointing, a strong UKCAT score may compensate. Leave nothing to chance do as many questions as you can and sign up for online resources e.g. medify. If as you approach your test date, you feel underprepared or if you are unwell, you could consider re-scheduling your appointment (although only possible with notice and if a suitable alternative is available). Key to the UKCAT is PMA Good luck!
Original post by lois griffin
I can see from your posts that you are really committed to Dentistry and hope that you secure interviews. It’s good that you have got sound work experience and its clear that you are a caring individual and team player.

You are probably aware that the one weakness in your application is your academics. Most candidates far exceed the minimum GCSE requirements. Admissions officers will want to see that you are capable of achieving the standard offer of AAA at A2 and are ready for the academic challenges of the course. I know that you are really committed to working hard to get the grades BUT you suggest that you may get as low as ABBB at AS level….. this may not give the admissions officers confidence that you will attain the required grades, especially as A2 is a "step up".
It is therefore really important to get your teachers onside so that they give you a fab reference and formally predict AAA. My advice to you is to concentrate on the UKCAT, then if your AS level results are disappointing, a strong UKCAT score may compensate. Leave nothing to chance do as many questions as you can and sign up for online resources e.g. medify. If as you approach your test date, you feel underprepared or if you are unwell, you could consider re-scheduling your appointment (although only possible with notice and if a suitable alternative is available). Key to the UKCAT is PMA Good luck!

Thanks for your reply! But yes i am very committed to achieve my goal in getting into dental school, although i have worked very hard this year, i have had a lot on, as you can see, which means that next year i won't have to do much, if anything extra so i will have more time to study and i will be putting all my effort in to get those 3As. Aswell as a levels i am trying to sturdy very hard for the UKCAT, so hopefully things will pay off!
Reply 25
I'm so sorry for the really late reply! But Dentistry at Kings! Oh lord you're living the dream! Yeah I know a few people who have taken that approach, I might have to do that. What did you get at AS if you don't mind me asking? I definitely think I can achieve 3As or higher at A level, but that will be including the 2 individual exams I retake when I do my A2s. I'm thinking that I'll get ABCC this year, or ABBC. I highly highly doubt I'll get more than one A, but I've started revision for A2 already, and am fairly confident that I can smash them. Is it true that if you get even one C you can't get into any uni for dentistry?

haha thank :smile: For AS I got AAAB, but the B was in chemistry which I took on for A2. All dental schools are different tbh, depending on your grades really think carefully about where to apply. Places like Kings or Birmingham want an A at AS level really but Leeds for example place much less emphasis on grades and care about work experience and extra activities. I know Newcastle is a good bet it looks at the whole application without emphasising too much on one area. Look at all the entry requirements, not all dental schools want an A at AS level, i think a C is fine for some but obviously it helps if you get as good as possible!
Hi everyone! Basically I'm really want to study dentistry and have it as a career. It has always fascinated me and seems like the perfect career for me for many reasons. I have been proactive and have done a lot of work experience and have read books on dentistry and have watched many many videos on the career and all the different techniques and skills, since my GCSEs.

However, after just sitting my AS exams, I don't think I have got the grades to make me stand out. I studied Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Business. \i was predicted 3As and B however I know for sure I did not achieve those grades. For maths I did well on C1 and S1 but the night before my C2 exam a family relative passed away and in the morning I was a bit all over the place and couldn't concentrate properly on the paper. Anyway, excuses aside, I believe my AS grades will be ABCC or BBCC.

Now I understand every single university which offers dentistry requires 3As at the end of year 13. I am planning on retakin my C2 Maths exam and my chemistry unit 2 exam. If I retake these 2 at the end of year 13 and do well in my year 13 exams I definitely believe I can get all As.

However when applying to uni I've been told that they don't look at whether you're retaking any individual exams or if there were any circumstances which prevented you from achieving your predicted grades (unless it was an illness or something on par with that). Also I have been told that unless I get 3As this year I don't stand a chance at getting into any university for dentistry as they'll think that I'm not capable of achieving 3As next year. This I personally know isn't the case as all of my teachers can back me up when I say that I work extremely hard, and I realised my best revision techniques a week before the exams which I'm now going to use for A2, AND I have started revision for my A2 exams already (More than a year before even though I have only just finished my AS exams).

At GCSE I got A*AAAAABBBB.

I would love to study dentistry, especially at Kings College in London.

I was wondering if anyone who is already studying dentistry at Kings or at any other uni could advise me on what happens next, IF I STILL STAND A CHANCE, if I should give up on dentistry etc etc. Despite it being an option, I do not want to take a gap year.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Just wondering whether you got the place to study dentistry

Quick Reply

Latest