LiamJDavis
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

My teacher has chosen War literature to study for the coursework, but I reallyyy don't want to study that, and she's said we are allowed to pick whatever books we want and blah blah blah.

I'm looking at doing feminism/female portrayal/identity, using "The Handmaid's Tale", "The Bell Jar" and "A Doll's House". Has anyone read all of these? Would it be *easy* to construct a 2500-3000 word essay on women?

Only problem being that it's going to be COMPLETELY independent. My teacher knows quite a bit about "The Handmaid's Tale" so I can get help on that, but then I'll have to transfer that to "The Bell Jar", and so forth.

In the end, I may just suck it up and study War literature, but at the moment, I'm liking the idea of feminism.

Has anybody got any suggestions? Would it be easy enough to do? From general Google searches, it seems feminism/females are quite prominent in all three texts...

Thanks!
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
AlexKay99
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do what you want! I don't like war literature either and I would have hated to have done that, luckily I chose my own coursework and did the Romantics instead, I did mine independently and it was all good!
Appeal to your teacher and explain why you think it wouldn't be a good idea for you.
whydoieventry
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We've been offered Monsters, American Dream, Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy, Adolescent Voice and Dystopian Fiction, what texts were you advised to do for War?
lydias1745
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did my AQA Extended Project about women and the social expectation of women with particular reference to marriage. I used "The Bell Jar," "Wuthering Heights" and "Pride and Prejudice" and have managed to write 5,000 words including research, so there's plenty to talk about on that topic!

"The Bell Jar" is an excellent novel which does focus heavily on rejecting social expectations and Esther wanting to be an independent woman and pursue a career. Feminism ties in with certain movements of the 1960's which would be good for context in the essay as well as linking with characterisation.

"The Handmaid's Tale" is on my reading list for the summer! It looks like a brilliant book and we've been doing work on dystopian novels in our English classes at the moment to start thinking about our coursework.

I hope this has helped you!
LiamJDavis
Rep:
?
I really need to work on replying to threads earlier... sorry everyone!! Haha!

(Original post by AlexKay99)
Do what you want! I don't like war literature either and I would have hated to have done that, luckily I chose my own coursework and did the Romantics instead, I did mine independently and it was all good!
Appeal to your teacher and explain why you think it wouldn't be a good idea for you.
Thanks for your advice - I've already changed my theme (the only one in my class at the moment, I think!).

(Original post by whydoieventry)
We've been offered Monsters, American Dream, Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy, Adolescent Voice and Dystopian Fiction, what texts were you advised to do for War?
We were told our main text would be "Birdsong" - I did read, like, the first 70 pages but it didn't really 'grab' me tbh. And it was focusing on WWI, and I much prefer WWII. I also do History, so I didn't wanna ruin the whole 'war' aspect by having to study it from a literary perspective!

(Original post by lydias1745)
I did my AQA Extended Project about women and the social expectation of women with particular reference to marriage. I used "The Bell Jar," "Wuthering Heights" and "Pride and Prejudice" and have managed to write 5,000 words including research, so there's plenty to talk about on that topic!

"The Bell Jar" is an excellent novel which does focus heavily on rejecting social expectations and Esther wanting to be an independent woman and pursue a career. Feminism ties in with certain movements of the 1960's which would be good for context in the essay as well as linking with characterisation.

"The Handmaid's Tale" is on my reading list for the summer! It looks like a brilliant book and we've been doing work on dystopian novels in our English classes at the moment to start thinking about our coursework.

I hope this has helped you!
Thank you so much! I'm two thirds of the way through TBJ (been wanting to read it for ages - so far so good! So glad I managed to fit it into my coursework), and I've finished THT (absolutely FANTASTIC!!! Really do recommend!!). (:
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by LiamJDavis)
Hi,

My teacher has chosen War literature to study for the coursework, but I reallyyy don't want to study that, and she's said we are allowed to pick whatever books we want and blah blah blah.

I'm looking at doing feminism/female portrayal/identity, using "The Handmaid's Tale", "The Bell Jar" and "A Doll's House". Has anyone read all of these? Would it be *easy* to construct a 2500-3000 word essay on women?

Only problem being that it's going to be COMPLETELY independent. My teacher knows quite a bit about "The Handmaid's Tale" so I can get help on that, but then I'll have to transfer that to "The Bell Jar", and so forth.

In the end, I may just suck it up and study War literature, but at the moment, I'm liking the idea of feminism.

Has anybody got any suggestions? Would it be easy enough to do? From general Google searches, it seems feminism/females are quite prominent in all three texts...

Thanks!
If you don't want to WW1, and you have the option NOT to do it, DONT do it. Simple as. Do you want to effect your A2 grade simply because you are scared/cannot be bothered to actually do A2, which is all about dependency anyway.

If you want to go with feminism, there is a lot to go for on those three texts. And there is a lot of online support/resources as well.

Have you read these 3 texts? If you haven't I suggest you do. Because you might not like them, thus switching texts. I've never fancied myself reading dystopian novels. Even though I have Atwood's novel on my bookshelf, I shall probably never read it. Having said that, The Bell Jar is a very good novel - but it's very, VERY depressing. More so than Death of A Salesman, and that's a depressing play like no other!

I think the text you have picked is quite alright, considering they were all written in different times and all have different perspectives of women and the society women were under. So you have a lot of different angles you could work with.

If you are looking at the female identity, I strongly suggest DH Lawrence's The Rainbow. I'm currently reading it now and it is a big book, but it's so worth it. It explores and captivates feminism, sexuality, the female gender so beautifully - it is seriously worth a read if you are wanting to explore the female identity and what it means to be a woman.

Words of warning: A2 sucks, but if you let it suck you in, you will fail. So do as much reading as you can during the summer. You have 6 weeks to read. If you are determined, you can finish A Doll's House in a day. You can read the remainder of those 2 novels over 4 weeks, if you are committed that is. Don't pick the easy option to stick with WW1 just because your teacher prefers WW1 Lit. This will be your downfall. Remember, she will be marking it, not writing it. If you're going to write about something you never wanted to do - it will affect your overall grade.
LiamJDavis
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
X
Hi there!! Thanks for the reply!

As I'm typing this, I have JUST finished TBJ! Absolutely amazing read. So I've finished the two 'big' books-- just 'A Doll's House' to go! I highly recommend THT by Atwood - pure brilliance!

I'm going to stick with these three texts now. And even if I don't like 'A Doll's House', it's a third text, so I won't be referencing to it THAT much. But yeah. I should be fine.

I'll definitely bring up the fact that they were all written in different time periods, that's a very good point -- thanks! Hoping to get some good social context in with ADH/TBJ- may be harder with THT as set in the future?

THT and TBJ seem to have quite a lot in common. Just hope I can get 2.5-3k words on feminism/female identity/oppression, etc.

And I'm already planning on getting way ahead! I want to write at least half of my coursework, finish the main text for my exam and the secondary (Great Expectations and Life of Pi respectively).

Thanks again (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (48)
28.92%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.43%
No I am happy with my choice (92)
55.42%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (12)
7.23%

Watched Threads