This process of finding a job is depressing.

Watch
Gherk
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm a university student with no work experience and have been job searching for the summer. I've applied to about 20 places now and have received no responses so far. I'm desperate to attain work experience before I graduate, but it seems like I'll be doomed to be unemployed for the whole summer. Even the most menial of jobs seem to have rigorous selection processes now; it's absurd.

Does anyone have any advice on increasing my chances of being employed?
C.Almasy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good luck. Don't expect much help from anyone though. People these days are economically fascist almost whilst being socially liberal.
somethingunique
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
One time i was at an interview for a high street store and this girl (who i happened to know from sixth form was also there). It was a group interview and the girl spoke all about how she had so and so experience, so I said to her ''wow how did you get all that experience'', she told me she lied about it all...
PolyVixen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gherk)
I'm a university student with no work experience and have been job searching for the summer. I've applied to about 20 places now and have received no responses so far. I'm desperate to attain work experience before I graduate, but it seems like I'll be doomed to be unemployed for the whole summer. Even the most menial of jobs seem to have rigorous selection processes now; it's absurd.

I agree :sadnod: You have to know someone. You just do.
somethingunique
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Try small local corner shops, clothes shops, charity shops, vintage stores, summer school helper, tutoring children, a local bakery, a very local cafe?
em.d_4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gherk)

What sort of job do you want?

Posted from TSR Mobile
XMaramena
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think perhaps - and I've said this a gazillion times before on TSR, and I'm going to say it again - the big problem you're facing here is that you're trying to find a job.

Just take a second to think about that phrase - "trying to find a job".

(FYI, I've never been employed by someone else, and don't ever intend to be.)

Perhaps you should think about what matters to you the most, what you enjoy in life, and find a way to create a stream of revenue from that, rather than leaving your career completely vulnerable to the uninformed decisions of strangers.
Acrostics
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gherk)

Watch this.... The Job Academy

It is a series of 7 short clips. You should be motivated. I hope they have more schemes like this for young people in the future.

My advice: volunteer. Many volunteer centers also help you with your CV. I know 1 near me which I will be going to tomorrow.

*****USE THE ADVICE ON THE JOB ACADEMY EPISODE 4!!!!*****
alapa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gherk)

I feel for you, I really do.

Its the catch 22 for young job seekers. No job without experience and no experience without a job.

There are three ways to combat this in my opinion

1.) be a charming charismatic, extremely intelligent student with loads of outstanding ECs in uni and charm your way in to a job.

2.) apply for those jobs that require 'no experience' and hope that no one else who applies has experience and you can impress more in interview.

3.) take on unpaid internships or voluntary work for a while so make your CV stand out to employers.

You would have to be extremely lucky for numbers 1 and 2 to land you a job. Number 3 is the hardest out of the lot but is more likely to get you into work.

Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (0)
0%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (0)
0%
No I am happy with my choice (0)
0%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (0)
0%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed