Journalism/Media with a degree in Finance Watch

gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I was looking at the possible career options with my degree course. I'll be studying degree related to finance. Ideally I'd like to work in the field of finance for the chunk of my career, however I was wondering if it's possible to eventually enter the journalism/media industry for companies such as Bloomberg/Reutuers (which are also strongly linked to Finance/Economics) to analyse/assess performance of financial securities. Even other media mediums such as BBC (in Business reporting etc..)

Given my degree course, would I be at a strong disadvantage when applying for roles in said firms in comparison to English/Media/Journalism graduates.

I know some members of my prospective uni have gotten into these firms and hold grad positions as research analysts. However realistically do these firms prefer people who've studied related degrees. I'd assume having strong financial knowledge would set me up for a role as a analyst. Also I would think to be applying for these jobs far into my career (15-20 years after graduation maybe) so would my degree really matter that much, given all the other achievements I may have on my CV?

If it's of any help I'll be studying BSc Investment & Financial Risk Management w/ Cass Business School (City University).

Thanks in advance.
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Bump
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Journalism is a "stardom" career where connections matter. There are no "jobs" to "apply" for as such. Make a good throw of your finance career, network effectively, and expect to spend at least two decades positioning yourself. I rather suspect financial journalism is more of a cosy retirement gig for the successful than anything else.
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
(Original post by scrotgrot)
Journalism is a "stardom" career where connections matter. There are no "jobs" to "apply" for as such. Make a good throw of your finance career, network effectively, and expect to spend at least two decades positioning yourself. I rather suspect financial journalism is more of a cosy retirement gig for the successful than anything else.
That's kind of what I was thinking.. with a background in Finance I could be a reporter/advisor on financial securities or something along those lines for a media company. I hear what you're saying about connections, however. Do you think after 20 years your degree becomes less relevant?
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Abdul-Karim)
That's kind of what I was thinking.. with a background in Finance I could be a reporter/advisor on financial securities or something along those lines for a media company. I hear what you're saying about connections, however. Do you think after 20 years your degree becomes less relevant?
Your degree becomes irrelevant after like 2 years
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
(Original post by scrotgrot)
Your degree becomes irrelevant after like 2 years
Really? Wow. Thanks for the response.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.52%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (86)
19.07%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.13%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.66%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.21%