The Student Room Group

A2 Maths Options

Hey guys, so I am currently planning to continue with Maths for A2
apart from the compulsory C3 and C4 topics I have to choose between D1 and M1 which I am having difficulties trying to find out which one I want to do.
We have go briefs about this in school already but I just wanted opinions from some of you whom have taking this and just reasons why you might choose one over the other or anything else about either of them
Thank you.

Q:"Choosing between Decisions and Mechanics in Maths A2"
Neither are difficult. I'd probably choose mechanics (I've done both and M2/D2) just because it's more like 'normal' maths (simultaneous equations, formulae, algebraic manipulation...) whereas decision is a completely different branch of maths unrelated to anything else you've done so is probably a bit harder to get used to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
M1
Perhaps your decision could be linked to what you're planning to do at uni?
Original post by shrn
apart from the compulsory C3 and C4 topics I have to choose between D1 and M1 which I am having difficulties trying to find out which one I want to do.
We have go briefs about this in school already but I just wanted opinions from some of you whom have taking this and just reasons why you might choose one over the other or anything else about either of them
Thank you.

What do you want to do at uni? If economics/computer science then maybe D1 is best, but otherwise probably mechanics. Both are pretty easy to be fair, but D1 is more effort and boring
Reply 5
Original post by shrn
Thank you.

If you're doing physics A level that might be a reason to choose M1 (you might have covered some of it in AS physics depending on exam board).

D1 to me was learning a bunch of algorithms (steps you work through), then trying to do them in the exam without making arithmetic errors! I found M1 far more interesting, but some people would choose D1 over M1 as it'll be easier.
Reply 6
Thank you everyone for your responses.
Im planning to take architecture (more to the design side than technical) in university and I have done physics AS but I'm planning to drop it. mechanics was just about OKAY for me.

Im trying to find out which people think is easier. like what does decisions do compared to mechanics. or is mechanics more difficult than what we learnt in physics?

Again thank you all for your responses.
Original post by shrn
Thank you everyone for your responses.
Im planning to take architecture (more to the design side than technical) in university and I have done physics AS but I'm planning to drop it. mechanics was just about OKAY for me.

Im trying to find out which people think is easier. like what does decisions do compared to mechanics. or is mechanics more difficult than what we learnt in physics?

Again thank you all for your responses.

I would say do D1, it is much easier and anyone can do it unless you are really crap at learning algorithms and using numbers quickly instead of more variables. D1 is harder to learn without a teacher but in a class environment, it's easier than M1. If you like learning most of it alone, ie relaxing in class then do M1. Or if you really enjoy physics.

In terms of architecture, since you're doing physics already, I would say do D1 for a different perspective of maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest