Do I change courses at my age? Watch

avee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I started an English course last year , passed first year but I didn't like the course. I lived at home and still made friends but the course just isn't for me! I started when I was 20.
Now I have no clue what to do with my life career wise. There's nothing I particularly want to do.
If I was to swap courses internally at my university, I have chosen geography and natural hazards. I'm not sure what career I could do with that, and i don't know what good career I can get with just a levels.
The problem is I'm nearly 21, I think it's too old to be at UNi at 24! Studying at UNi means working every weekend which gets me down.
I am stuck on what to do!! :confused:
Vondheim
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I started an English course last year , passed first year but I didn't like the course.
What was it particularly that you didn't like about the course? The way it was taught? Your tutors? The amount of time needed? The subject itself?

I lived at home and still made friends but the course just isn't for me! I started when I was 20.
Now I have no clue what to do with my life career wise. There's nothing I particularly want to do.
Ok, so we know that you don't like the course and that's completely fine - but you have lots and lots of options. You can quit but that's kinda drastic. You could get deferred for a year and take sometime out for yourself - travel or get a job and save some cash. With regards to applying your course to a future career - if you don't know what you want to do then go see your university employability/careers team. A lot of these people will have been were you are and even if they haven't they are still trained to help YOU. Think about what thinks you are good at subject-wise and then what things you are good at in life in general - maybe you are a good listener. Or a good talker! Can you solve problems? Speak another language? Maybe you're really good with numbers and problem solving? Also - and easily as important as the above - what things do you reeeeally enjoy doing or what things give you a lot of satisfaction in life. Drinking and sex aren't viable answers to this question sorry. lol. Anyway, if you can start thinking of some answers to the above questions then right them down because if you go see your uni's career/employability people, those answers will really help them to help you. They will also be able to give you good advice on courses that match up to your stronger points.

If I was to swap courses internally at my university, I have chosen geography and natural hazards. I'm not sure what career I could do with that, and i don't know what good career I can get with just a levels.
You can get a great career with A-Levels. A degree does NOT always guarantee insta-success. As for Geogrphy and Natural hazards careers - in this country sectors such a s health and safety or enviromental health immediately spring to mind. If you where to venture abroad then maybe jobs such as water quality scientist or international aid worker - research them. Most universities will have a careers section that help inform you of what you can do with your degree. Forexample the sectors/jobs I just mentioned came from the following: http://www.chester.ac.uk/undergraduate/nhm-combined

The problem is I'm nearly 21, I think it's too old to be at UNi at 24! Studying at UNi means working every weekend which gets me down.
Nahhhh! I'm 41 and about to start my 3rd year! I'm currently working over summer for a company that I had a placement with, And i very very rarely miss out on my weekends! How? I learned how to manage my time. In my first year I completely SUCKED - leaving assignm,ents to the last minute, not researching properly. I was properl;y stressed so I went and saw student welfare who gave me loads of tips on time-management. I also read two realllllly great books, one on confidence and one about assertiveness. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Teach-Yourse...ness+in+a+Week

I am stuck on what to do!!
Then go see both your student welfare team and your careers/employability team - you won't regret it! Good luck and best wishes!
krazy11
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm 21 and just switched courses, I applied through UCAS again to a different university because my university didn't do the course I wanted to change to. It is never to late to do something else. I was really scared about being older but when I think about how much I didn't enjoy my previous course it always reminds me that I made the right decision. I have just been watching all my friends graduate and I know how difficult it can be! Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (50)
27.17%
No (134)
72.83%

Watched Threads