Turn on thread page Beta

Warwick Buisness School vs Cranfield School of Management vs St Andrews watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I received offers from Warwick Business School, Cranfield School of Management and St Andrews. All for rather general Master in Management degrees (MSc)

I have difficulties to decide and I am looking forward to receive your feedback.

So far I believe that Warwick has the best reputation for Business. Cranfield and Warwick are very similar though in terms of students, campus, faculty and quality of education. Bothe programs have not been rated yet as they are new. St Andrews is defininetly a level below the other two as it doesn’t offer an MBA and has less qualified staff but the university has internationally a more shinny name. I am planning to go into Management Consulting and asked all relevant firms (BCG, Bain, McK...) for their preference given all other variables being the same basically they said take the one you prefer. There you will perform better...

I would really appreciate insightful comments on those Universities.

By the way the tuition difference is significant St Andrew being the cheapest (9000 Pound) and Warwick the most expansive (25000Pounds) Cranfield is in the middle (16000 Pounds).

ReputationRep:
    What about an English GCSE first?

ReputationRep:
    WBS > Cranfield >>> St.And

WBS and Cran are fully operational B-School and offer more opps (alumni network, careers office, student clubs, prof development, treks) whereas St.And is just a small management department with limited electives. Most foreigners make the mistake and don't notice the difference. The average management dpmt is piggy backing the on brand of its parent uni. The argument 'the uni has internationally a more shinny name' for selection is silly. Would you choose Tuebingen (famous ancient uni) over Mannheim in BWL (newer uni, less known abroad)?

You will notice difference in quality of lecturers and class mates. For UK consulting, WBS as larger B-School with dedicated MSc courses (analytics, consulting, strategy, finance, change) places more people. But Cran does a good job and provides excellent management training with high student satisfaction.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your helpful reply. In terms of the market for employment I would rather aim at Germany and East Asia but I also have the impression that Warwick than Cranfiled has a better reputation in Germany and beyond. Cranfield seemed to me less theoretical compared to Warwick which I would prefer and its 10.000 Pound less expensive. Any more ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Another note: Pump the Warwick or Cranfield alumni chapter in Germany for info. I am sure, some work in consulting or finance. These are only sectors with high salary jobs to pay off extortionate tuitions. Alums provide value add on job search leads, their study exp and useful courses.

Cranfield is less known as it is postgrad only uni, it prides itself of
    1) putting theory into practice and trains students to be 'job ready'
    2) Many Cranf profs work as consultants/advisers to private sector firms and have contacts with senior executives. They bring back their findings and teach students in the class room
    3) It does lots of executive training to firms. some adjuncts from industry
    4) Personal development to enhance soft skills: Projects management, communication, teamwork, career coaching and even psychologist

I can't say for Germany, but there are lots Asians at WBS. Just see MSc/BSc class room or walk on WBS campus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcannon)
    Another note: Pump the Warwick or Cranfield alumni chapter in Germany for info. I am sure, some work in consulting or finance. These are only sectors with high salary jobs to pay off extortionate tuitions. Alums provide value add on job search leads, their study exp and useful courses.

Cranfield is less known as it is postgrad only uni, it prides itself of
    1) putting theory into practice and trains students to be 'job ready'
    2) Many Cranf profs work as consultants/advisers to private sector firms and have contacts with senior executives. They bring back their findings and teach students in the class room
    3) It does lots of executive training to firms. some adjuncts from industry
    4) Personal development to enhance soft skills: Projects management, communication, teamwork, career coaching and even psychologist

I can't say for Germany, but there are lots Asians at WBS. Just see MSc/BSc class room or walk on WBS campus.

Thank you again for the very helpful information. Yes I checked the Alumni in Germany and Warwick many are in consulting but from Cranfield not so many are...I have another question concerning financing. I realized that there are no student loans available from the UK Government for Postgraduates. Although I secured a small loan from the German Government and receive a scholarship the Warwick fees are a big challenge and this postgraduate loan from Barclays has a interest rate of around 10 Percent. Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    You sum up the funding woes concisely. The career development loan is capped at £10000 max with extortionate 10% interest rates. It is private loan and I don't think you can get approval as you don't have credit history in the UK, even some Brits get denied with insufficient ratings. No student finance loans from Gov for Postgrad studies.

This is the main reason why so few Home students in management classes. No suggestions, sorry. Either you
    a) rich parents
    b) really smart and secure a rare scholarship
    c) Take a few years, work full time and save to self fund MSc
    d) Go abroad

How much is your WBS scholarship, 1/2 tuition?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 29, 2014

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.