Will Juncker appointment affect EU referendum vote?

Watch
Numberwang
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Jean-Claude Juncker looks set to become the EU's next big boss, President of the European Commission.

Will the fact alone that a federalist has been given the top position affect the EU referendum vote as much as David Cameron says?

Juncker's also been under pressure recently for drinking on the job... could the EU crumble any more?
Stacy93
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Numberwang)
Juncker's also been under pressure recently for drinking on the job...
He's copying Farage's policy then!!
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Numberwang)
Jean-Claude Juncker looks set to become the EU's next big boss, President of the European Commission.

Will the fact alone that a federalist has been given the top position affect the EU referendum vote as much as David Cameron says?

Juncker's also been under pressure recently for drinking on the job... could the EU crumble any more?
Given that a federalist has been in power since 04 (with a larger majority) the answer is no. When it comes to the referendum i personally doubt people will even debate the intricacies of the deal we get with Europe (we will get a few small bones) because the debate will simply be around whether you want to be part of a country of Europe or not. The people who strongly support the EU will vote to stay in, those who care about sovereignty and immigration will vote to leave regardless and then the vast majority of people i suspect will take the typical British stance of 'Don't know's vote no to change'. I expect that the country at large will vote to retain membership albeit i'm somewhat undecided myself.
gladders
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I find it a bit hypocritical for eurosceptics to demand Juncker not be made Commission President. Given their repeated demands for more democracy in the EU, the Member States declared they would take into account the European Parliament elections in their selection. Juncker is the EPP candidate; EPP won the European elections Europe-wide.

To not choose him, while entirely within their rights, would be seen as a rejection of their earlier promise. So they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
No Man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gladders)
I find it a bit hypocritical for eurosceptics to demand Juncker not be made Commission President. Given their repeated demands for more democracy in the EU, the Member States declared they would take into account the European Parliament elections in their selection. Juncker is the EPP candidate; EPP won the European elections Europe-wide.

To not choose him, while entirely within their rights, would be seen as a rejection of their earlier promise. So they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
I wouldn't have an issue with all of this if the individual members of the EU public voted for who they want as president rather than the EU Commission (which is basically like congress choosing the US president rather than the American people).
gladders
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by No Man)
I wouldn't have an issue with all of this if the individual members of the EU public voted for who they want as president rather than the EU Commission (which is basically like congress choosing the US president rather than the American people).
Eh, it's on a par with the UK Prime Minister not being elected, or the Electoral College selecting the EU President, or indeed a Vice-President, approved by Congress, succeeding as President of the US with no intervening election.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by No Man)
The commission did not elect him this time, the EPP grouping in parliament chose him.
DaveSmith99
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No, any reform will be decided by the Council, not the Commission.
anarchism101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gladders)
Eh, it's on a par with the UK Prime Minister not being elected, or the Electoral College selecting the EU President, or indeed a Vice-President, approved by Congress, succeeding as President of the US with no intervening election.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the impression I've been given is that unlike most parliamentary premiers, the Commission President is not required to maintain the confidence of the European Parliament through his entire term, instead simply needing the initial majority required for appointment.
DaveSmith99
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by anarchism101)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the impression I've been given is that unlike most parliamentary premiers, the Commission President is not required to maintain the confidence of the European Parliament through his entire term, instead simply needing the initial majority required for appointment.
The president can be dismissed by parliament, as can the entire commission. The only thing they can't do it get rid of individual commissioners.
gladders
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by anarchism101)
As anarchisms' said: the Parliament can depose the Commission at will as a collective body, but cannot sack individuals.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.64%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (88)
37.29%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.71%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.54%

Watched Threads